Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Corrupted Marine

someone help! please! need EDGE info.

ok, well ive been trying to get used to this new port i got, its EDGE and i just tried it out. i think its pretty cool, and i thought that i would start editing with it. but i got problems.

1. i cant figure out the console commands, i cant even load a custom level.
-(someone tell me how to load a custom level, and some other console commands as well, if you can.)

2. i want to start editing for EDGE,
-(where can i find an editor?)

3. im not even sure what all EDGE does.
-(does EDGE support 3d floors and slopes too?)

i think that is all i really need to know. oh and btw. i need an EDGE editor for DoomBuilder thanks alot. i know that the doomworld forums can help me out!

The README.1ST file which comes with the EDGE binary packages contains a lot of info.

Running custom wads requires opening the Windows shell (also called the "Dos Box"), which in Windows 98 you find in Start -> Programs -> MSDOS. Then you enter some commands like this:

CD C:\EDGEDIR
GLEDGE32 -file qdoom.wad

which will start EDGE with the QDOOM mod.

1) I believe EDGE uses the universal -file param.

2) Doom Builder probably has an EDGE config in it, so go check it out at http://doombuilder.com/

3) 3d floors and slopes = no. Amazing options involving WEAPON editing = yes.

Personally I never liked EDGE. The one thing it has going for it is the whole weapon thing, and soon Zdoom will be able to challenge it, so really if you ask me it's not worth the trouble.

well i just started a project of my own, and i was just considering all the possible options before i began. i just thought EDGE was pretty cool, with all the extras it comes with.

so heres another question.
if i wanted to, could i use EDGE to start you off with a duel pair of pistols that fire at a double burst rate. like this, i want to replace the pistol with a duel pair of pistols, and i want them to fire a double burst. could i do that?

Yeah, you could do that.

Also, to answer your previous question on loading wads and stuff:

You can always use Lobo's EDGE Shell Launcher. I don't know the link though, but when Lobo shows up, he'll tell you the link to his site.

Sorry folks, been on holiday!

Anyway, links in the sig :)

lerner said:

3) 3d floors and slopes = no.

3D floors = YES! Edge was one of the first ports with true 3D floors, before legacy and way before zdoom.

Ajapted said:

3D floors = YES! Edge was one of the first ports with true 3D floors, before legacy and way before zdoom.

ZDoom doesn't have 3D floors (yet!) ;)

Hay corrupt_marine

you can also make a shortcut from the edge app
and it should be like this

"C:\Documents and Settings\Devin\My Documents\New Folder\Edge 1.29\gledge32.exe" -file xxx.wad

where x is the name of the wad file

i hope this helps

lerner said:
3) 3d floors and slopes = no. Amazing options involving WEAPON editing = yes.
[/B]

WTF!? 3D Floors = YES!

Its not just weapons editing, its new monster, new items, new linedef types, new sector types...

lerner said:
Personally I never liked EDGE. The one thing it has going for it is the whole weapon thing, and soon Zdoom will be able to challenge it, so really if you ask me it's not worth the trouble.

I think you'd be surprised. EDGE has had the ability to amend and create weapons, things etc... for well over 4 years. I'm sure Randy is doing a bang up job of his "decorate" functionality - and I have a lot of time for him - however EDGE most certainly has the EDGE in this department (apologies for the pun). This kinda thing is what the engine was built for.

I personally are quite fond of EDGE for its editablility. (I would like z doom just as much if the newer versions would stop crashing my comp ;_; ). But as for what edge can do (atleast in version 1.27, which i'm most familiar with).

-To Load a custom level is the same way that's done with any other port. Just make a shortcut of the original EDGE.exe and right click
-> properties -> goto the "target" section -> add "-file _______.wad" (_______ being the name of your wad). I dont know why you would wanna load from the console,it tends to screw up somtimes.

-The only editor you need for maps is a TXT editor (i.e. notepad) and a map editor that allows custom sector/linedef/and thing types (with the number id). You dont realy even need a config for edge to modify levels. Just open up the DDFLINE and DDFSECT lumps in the EDGE.wad and real their lables. It's pretty much self explanatory.

-Yes, EDGE has 3d floors, probably better than ANY 3d floors i've seen. It alows 3d platforms like Quake. You can even make a "cage" enitrely from 3d floors and make it move up and down (check out Quake Doom). I think edge 1.28 has slopes, though I'm not quite sure of that yet. I believe Edge has "sliding" doors too, though I've never personally seen it ever used nor have i used them before. I dont think they are solid polyobjects just as those in Hexen and Zdoom, rather just linedefs that split from a certain location. (Like like those in Rise of the Triad (doom like game back when doom came out), but those weren't even real doors just animated walls)

-Edge supports up to 32 weapons of your choice (including the original 9 from Doom and doom2, but you can replace those). Editing weapons is pretty easy for the more basical weapons. You can just open up DDFWEAP and look at the original stuff there, it's self explanatory. I recommend IMMORAL CONDUCT for reference with really GOOD weapons, though. Those are really nice and has thing such has remote bombs to flak friendly turrets and spiderbot that you can remotely (kind) control.

Ezxariarch said:

I think edge 1.28 has slopes, though I'm not quite sure of that yet.

No, not even the up-n-coming 1.29 version has slopes. Maybe one day.

What you say about sliding doors is pretty accurate: basically a mid-masked texture than can open/close horizontally.

Edge 1.29 allows upto 64 weapons to be held at once, and has 16 different ammo types.

Ajapted said:

I keep hearing about these 'stacked sectors', and assumed they were done ;).

Stacked sectors are usable but they are in a buggy as hell state.

And don't forget that the EDGE 1.29 RC1 supports dragging and dropping the wad onto the .exe.