Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khorus

C Code

I need help mdifying doom directly.

Here are 3 questions that I would appreciate any help in answering. Or a link...

1. Where can i get a program to edit c code.

2. Where do I learn to use c code

3. Where can I get the original doom 2 source code from? I have tried id's website but it says they are still developing the downloads section.

Thanks. :)

k.

1. maek shure you have microsoft

2. Then you need windows Explorer C

3. lerning C is simple liek the alfabet rly.

4. I dont no wear to get doom sorce from eccept from idsoftwaer .com. SRY.

1) You can't get such a program for free. You have to buy it.
To edit the code, you need Visual C++. You can find it on the microsoft website.

2) Again, you can buy books with documentation to get you started or maybe you can do a google search.

3) The source code is available. Again, Google will help you.

1. Microsoft Notepad or any other text editor.

2. http://www.google.com/search?q=c+programming+tutorial

3. Why do you need it? If you want to make changes to Doom, get the source code for one of the source ports instead. The original Doom source code won't even compile without a lot of changes, and I doubt you'll manage that if you don't know C programming at all.

Azriel said:

1) You can't get such a program for free. You have to buy it.
To edit the code, you need Visual C++. You can find it on the microsoft website.

Sigh...

To write C code is easy. Just use a text editor. To get it to compile is more confusing. You need a compiler. Your best bet? Do what every sane person does these days, get an IDE (Integrated Development Interface) and you have a cool text editor, debugger, compiler and a bunch more all in one package :D You could get Microsoft's but you could also find a good one for free like DevC++

Oh and it will take you years and years to get any good at it, its not gonna be like knocking up a rocket-shooting pistol in EDGE, just copying something and changing a few numbers

C++ is a bitch to learn it took me like 7 weeks back in high school to learn how to build one of those damn dialogue boxes. Its not hard so much as you gotta know what you're looking at and remeber where you put what. The commands are easy to learn, its when you think you put in the right integer (or forgot to in many cases) and have to go back through all the code to find where you messed up. Unless you're gonna be doing programming as a job or a job will require you to use don't bother. Believ me, its gonna piss you off.

Please don't discourage others with your personal experiences. Just because you apparently had problems doesn't mean that others might as well.

Nevertheless, for learning programming there are better languages than C++.

@sinyx - LMAO! C++ isn't like VB, you don't build a dialog box with it. So you took a C++ course and learned Visual C++? LMAO at the teacher. Teach real C++, dammit. Straight from Stroustroup. Don't build a UI until you learn the language. I knew QBasic for quite a while before moving up to VB. And I still write code first and GUI later.

I'm not a 1337 h4x0r, but know the difference between C++ and VB and that C++ was not originally intended to be used with GUIs.

Someone cares? Yay! I'll see if I can put up 0.2 in a few days (it should have been done long ago).

nightice said:

I'm not a 1337 h4x0r, but know the difference between C++ and VB and that C++ was not originally intended to be used with GUIs.

This is hilarious

*sigh*

He said that it took like 7 weeks just to make a GUI with C++. Understandable if he coded his own, but since most places teach Visual C++, they should have done simple (console) applications first, then moved up to GUIs.

ok first, in my defense my brain is a little fried. It was Visual C++, give me a break I was doing this stuff back in 2001. I can't remember what I had for dinner.
Secondly, you're right the teacher was more worried about coaching the football team than helping all of us learn how to do this stuff. He made us use Visual C++ like regular C++. I was given bare bones to figure it out, and it was only a semester course 2 times a week. For a little laugh on your part, he would gives us notes written out by hand when he was the head computer teacher, couldn't he TYPE them out?
Third, maybe I was a little harsh in my assesment of the members attempt to learn the language. But, what I said had merit in the fact that it is hard to learn and will frustrate him, or her as may be the case. I am sorry for any trouble or agrivation my littl statement caused.

@synix - it probably wasn't such a bad idea to learn C++ first but use VC++ as your compiler, it's better to learn the language first then learn how to apply it.

The concepts of C are deadly confusing to most people, especially when it comes to pointers (variables that store the memory address of other variables).

Yeah, there are many reasons not to use C or C++ as your first programming language.

Though, on the other hand, every programmer should be familiar with how computers work on the low level.

Fredrik said:

Though, on the other hand, every programmer should be familiar with how computers work on the low level.

So how do I learn that?

evilhomerdoomer said:

So how do I learn that?

Take a class on it. I don't think I would have been able to do it by myself.

AndrewB said:

The concepts of C are deadly confusing to most people, especially when it comes to pointers (variables that store the memory address of other variables).

Yeah, I got stuck and subsequently halted at pointers :/