Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CyRaptor

Map Editor for OSX?

Damn, it's been a while since I've posted here. I apologize if this has been asked a hundred times before, but I did a quick forums search on the matter to no avail, and at this point I'm pretty desparate.

Anyway. I'm planning on doing a presentation on how to create a basic Doom map for my Instructional Technology class final. Ideally I would like to do a live demonstration using a computer hooked up to a projector. The problem is, the lab I have to present in only has Macs, all of which run OSX. I know Legacy runs on OSX, so showing the map in-game shouldn't be a problem, but showing the actual process of creation is more important for the purposes of the porjhect and the class.

So, my question is, are there any modern map editors that work under OSX? I checked the "Utilities" section of the DW main page with no luck, although it appears pretty out of date. I'm familiar with WadAuthor so a similar Mac-based editor would be ideal, but I'm certainly not going to be picky.

If worse comes to worse, I guess I could just lug my PC to the lab and hook that up to the projector, but I'd obviously prefer the less physically intensive solution.

I guess that's it. Thanks in advance.

Yadex? Looks like you'll have to compile it yourself (unless someone else has premade binaries for OS X). I'm not sure how difficult this is on a Mac, but you'll probably also need at least one of the patches here...

CODOR said:

Yadex? Looks like you'll have to compile it yourself (unless someone else has premade binaries for OS X). I'm not sure how difficult this is on a Mac, but you'll probably also need at least one of the patches here...

Yadex is a pain in the ass to use. Use DoomBuilder using a virtualization program.

Yadex works here, but it does have some quirks that really make things it slow to use (firstly, the fact that the linedef and sidedef windows close after changing one property is really aggravating).

So I took a browse down the utilities page, looking for something else promising.

Doom Builder may or may not be nice, but it looks rather unportable, since it appears to use Visual Basic of all things.

But then I saw Slade (http://slade.mancubus.net/). I'm right now trying to port it since it uses wxWidgets. We'll see how it goes.