Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Checkmate

'Block sound' question

Can anyone tell me how this linedef checkoff works? Does it mean a monster can't hear the player making noise on the other side or does it mean you can keep the player from hearing the sound of lifts, etc. ? I was hoping for the latter but am guessing it's the former...
If it is, does anyone know how to stop lift sounds, etc. from getting to the player?

Checkmate said:
does anyone know how to stop lift sounds, etc. from getting to the player?

You can make a split sector placing the "real" lift far away and the sector the player activates won't make a noise where he's at. This can be used to make a silent lift in sight or a silent hidden lift that's needed for whatever. If you've played 10 Sectors wad you may have seen the effect; there it happened because the authors sometimes used a single sector for various lifts on the map, to economize.

The block sound line stops monsters hearing you. Even then it's a bit odd in the way it works. I think there needs to be 2 sound blocking lines between you and the monster. One isn't enough.

Another way to silence a moving sector, if you are using Zdoom, is to put a sound sequence object that does not have a corresponding sound sequence defined for it (or define a silent sequence) into the moving sector.

myk said:

You can make a split sector placing the "real" lift far away and the sector the player activates won't make a noise where he's at.

Trying to understand this. Say you have a sector split in two parts. One is far away and one is in front of the player. It's a lift and activates with a walkover. How is the walkover tagged to the sector? wouldn't it be tagged to both parts and make the sound in both spots? Sorry for being slow to understand but I appreciate any clarification you can give.

Edit: Maybe by split sector you mean a reference sector with the 'create false floor' tag? Starting to understand if that's the case.

Enjay- Thanks. Will file that away for future reference...

Checkmate said:
wouldn't it be tagged to both parts and make the sound in both spots?

No, only one makes the noise, while the other is silent (at least in Doom and Boom, not sure if any engines got rid of this feature/bug). Keep in mind you reference the sector with the tag.