Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tormentor667

[The Art of 2.5D Mapping] Both Articles ONLINE!

#1 - The Art of High Detail
http://www.saecks-machine.biz/realm667/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=318&Itemid=101

#2 - The Art of Great Conception
http://www.saecks-machine.biz/realm667/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=317&Itemid=101

Also get it over at
http://www.tormentor667.de > Articles >Tutorials

If you have proposals, ideas, language tipps, fixes and comments, just comment on my page or here and I will fix or add this if it makes sense to me! :)

Greets,
Torm

I tried reading some of the feature but by the second page I was turned off due to having to wait over a minute for the lame snow effect to load on each page, so I voted CRAP for Great Justice and went on with my life. If you remove that (assuming something else isn't causing the delay, but I doubt it) maybe the site will be navigable.

Neat, but I think you missed one of the most important things -- proper texturing. Meaning alignment, avoiding ugly cutoffs, which textures to use as dividers, and coordinating flats with wall textures.

Got this lag as well some of the screens don't work or I get some forbidden message when clicking on them.
Nice tuts anyway ill read some more later :)

Bad, looks like I need to fix here and there something, but I will do as soon as chapter 2 is finally finished... in the next few minutes ;)

@Roney - Could you be more precise on some of these? I could add these as well then :)

Concerning the snow effect: Just choose another design from the list at the right menue. It is only included in the xmas template

Okay, here's what I was referring to. When texturing, paying attention to things like:

Alignment - Everyone probably knows what I mean here anyway, but if a wall turns a corner or is for some reason divided into two more more linedefs, make sure the texture still looks smooth and unbroken. (example in first screenshot)

Cut-off - Make sure the texture you're using looks correct on the wall that you're putting it on. For example, STARTAN ends properly on a wall that is 56, 128, or 72 units tall (if lower unpegged), but not 64 or 96. You can also have the problem going horizontally, texturing a 64 unit wall with a texture that is 128 units long, etc. (example in first shot)

Dividers - What can be used to separate two clashing textures. Support2 and 3, etc. (example in both shots)

Flat/texture coordination (Materials) - Be certain that on a step, border, or any sector that has a height variation, the flat on the top or bottom reflects the "material" that the object is supposedly made out of. A lot of beginners make this mistake and this is the hardest one to explain. (example in second shot)