Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GzStarWars

Growing Fog Effect with pain

Alright, so I understand how to create Fog via scripting, now what I'd like to do is have a room that gradually thickens with fog, then after the fog gets so thick it will begin to harm the character as if it is poison.

So here's what I imagine I'd have to do. For the pain effect I figure I'd have to have a script that at some point tells the floor to start doing damage. So how would I do that?

As for the Fog, it will be RED so I need to know a way to multiply the value for the REDness every so many ticks.

Can someone help me with this one? Thankx!

GzStarWars said:

Alright, so I understand how to create Fog via scripting, now what I'd like to do is have a room that gradually thickens with fog, then after the fog gets so thick it will begin to harm the character as if it is poison.

So here's what I imagine I'd have to do. For the pain effect I figure I'd have to have a script that at some point tells the floor to start doing damage. So how would I do that?

As for the Fog, it will be RED so I need to know a way to multiply the value for the REDness every so many ticks.

Can someone help me with this one? Thankx!

This is for the latest ZDoom, right?

If so:
For damaging the player the best way is the ACS SectorDamage function because it allows the most control.
For increasing the fog density you have to lower the light level in the sector.

Yes, it would be for GzDOOM of course! ;)

Ok, I also forgot to mention that I know little of ACS as I come from a Fraggle Script based world and have not been working on my project for months, so I need a few more tips.

I did a search for Sector Damage and according to what I found my line should look something along these lines:

SectorDamage = "SectorDamage(tag, amount, type, protection-item, flags)";

Though I'm not sure if the "'s should be in there, and I'm not sure what to put as far as Type, Protection Item, and Flags are concerned. I imagine Amount will increase as the # that I put in there increases, and of course I know that Tag refers to the Sector that is tagged.

Could I get a quick example (not a wad expample just a line of code) of how this line should read out, both with and without a Protection item, one for the basics, and the other for when I have a better understanding and am ready to work that item into the scheme of things.

As for lighting, how would I tell the level to gradually increase or decrease the lights level every so many clicks without having to wast lines and lines of code? There has to be a multiplyer right?