Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Jamie

How do you map?

I've tried a few methods over time (some of these even have been utilised together):

-Start mapping and see where I end up
-Map with a clear idea or goal to acheive and then turn it into a more playable level
-Try to acheive one very specific goal in a map (usually as a test)
-Have a small collection of ideas or concepts to put together as a map
-Map for some specific resources
-Draw out a very vague plan on paper and then flesh it out in the editor
-Draw out a very vague plan in the editor and then reiterate over it until its finished

The results are quite varied, as is my mapping.

My method to mapping:

1. Plan some cool stuff
2. Start mapping it
3. Stumble onto a problem that prevents you from going forward
4. Start looking for workarounds
5. Become distracted
6. Forget all about the map

Gez said:

5. Become distracted
6. Forget all about the map

Maybe if you could reserve a time during the day that you don't do anything else exciting, for mapping?

My biggest problem in mapping is that i aim too high, waaaay too high for my own mapping skills. Perhaps i'm trying to meet the standard of what makes a good map for the people of Doomworld (if there's anything as standard...might be just me) which result in something like Gez's post. '' Stumble onto a problem that prevents you from going forward '' hence why most of my project are pending/will never get released.

Archvile78 said:

My biggest problem in mapping is that i aim too high, waaaay too high for my own mapping skills. Perhaps i'm trying to meet the standard of what makes a good map for the people of Doomworld (if there's anything as standard...might be just me) which result in something like Gez's post. '' Stumble onto a problem that prevents you from going forward '' hence why most of my project are pending/will never get released.

I'd have to say the same is true for me as well. It's probably why it's taken me over a year to work on a single map--and it's still not done yet.

often: make something small, copy paste.
but obhack is usually better for quickly making random stuff to play.

Super Jamie said:

These two posts reminded of a question I've been meaning to ask: How do you map?

Intuition, informed by about 500 hours experience of making maps.

Huh, I thought I replied to this thread already. Anyway, the maps I like mapping are ones I get a cool thought for a fight/situation, then map around that, adding little generic bits around it so I can actually get the thing done. Usually I'll sketch out the ideas beforehand, but if I'm lucky it all comes at once and actually stays cohesive until I finish mapping it (usually done over a weekend, like map6 of newgothic). The maps I don't like making involve slogging through random crap I draw until I find one that fits, with no clear idea where I'm going until I get there. Those end up feeling meh and need a lot of work to make fun to play (9 of newgothic kinda fits both, unfortunately -.-).

What Gez said. Possibly replace "distracted" by 'frustrated' and "forget.." by 'let it sit on the hdd for weeks hoping it will fix/finish itself'.

Sometimes I meticulously plan out a map beforehand, or at least the key areas, sometimes I just start drawing with only a vague idea in my mind. Both has its advantages and disadvantages and may equally lead to aforementioned outcome, though I guess having a clear idea and a proper plan increases the chance of finishing the map before that happens.
Likewise, sometimes precise and detailed sketches are necessary, while at other times one seems to do better with sloppy doodles.

1) Think of the finished project

2) Start mapping room for room (complete a room, move onto the next)

3) Finish the room and then show Essel who helps by pointing out problems I never notice

4) Stare blankly at the room for an hour trying to find the problems

5) Stare blankly at the room for an hour trying to think of ways to implement suggested fixes

6) Work on fixes for 5 minutes then lose motivation

7) Play a project for inspiration

8) Fall into a depression about how my mapping will never be as good as said project

9) Play a different game for weeks

10) Return to mapping, draw empty rooms while thinking about the player's route. Interconnect rooms that are close by. After getting bored, return to earlier rooms for detailing.

11) Go to Step 1

Krispavera said:

I should have a notebook full of topdown drawings and concept art, but I don't. I just open up DB2 and fire away usually. Sometimes I get brilliance, but after that I run out of ideas, and thus, it takes me forever to finish my maps. Generally when I map I go room by room, detailing them as I go and adding monsters and gameplay as I do. I try to make sure that whatever amount of map that I currently have plays well before moving on. And if later areas don't compliment the current gameplay, I can always change it.

But the problem is that a lot of times I'll start a new map, get a LOT done in it, and leave it sitting for days at a time before I get more done on it. I just have a hard time being creative I guess...

This.

I do have a pretty big map drawn in my notebook, too lazy to convert it to DB, will get to it someday (psh).

Kagemaru's mapping process:

Step 1) Create basic architecture for the level

Step 2) Generate detail and doors

Step 3) Test for errors

Step 4) Add monsters (or Deathmatch starts) and weapons.

Step 5) Test to see how well the gameplay is executed.

Step 6) ????

Step 7) PROFIT!!

The only think I really decide in advance when creating a map is the theme and how long I want it to be.

If it's a medium long map then I already roughly know how many areas I need to create before the map is finished and visa versa depending on the length of the map.

When creating a room/area, I create the layout first and ignore the texturing, then once the layout is done I texture the area according to whatever theme I am using and then add monsters/weapons/items etc.

I map like a goon.

My main downfall during map development is that it grows too tedious to continue, alas this reduces my motivation to further complete it. I set out a main plan in mind, i visualise different rooms, what details they possess and so forth, but after time my imagination just shuts off and i can't think for toffee.

I've started a bunch of maps, and 1 out of every 10 i start actually gets finished, and i've made exactly 10. I've only once made a draft on grid paper some years ago, but at this day and age i'd rather not bother with it, or anything... Ever... At all.

Six said:

I map like a goon.

My main downfall during map development is that it grows too tedious to continue, alas this reduces my motivation to further complete it. I set out a main plan in mind, i visualise different rooms, what details they possess and so forth, but after time my imagination just shuts off and i can't think for toffee.

Yeah I think this is my biggest barrier to doing better work.

Thing is, i feel the need to expand my original plans into a variety of maps (a.k.a megawad), and the idea is great at first, i have all these naive thoughts like "this will leave players in awe with my super fantastical unique maps" but then, this just never happens of course. I have this general thought that a single map is not enough to satisfy the player, and although very far from the truth i realise, i just can't get a better grip and narrow on my own 'requirements' for mapping.

Ah well, i'm not really all that bummed out about it.

I just had a really good experience with my first megawad. I had about a fifteen single wads just laying around, and mixing nine of them together thematically was a lot of fun! It's like making a good mix tape.

I start off by thinking of how I want a certain fight to play out, and then try to design the room to work like I imagine it. When playing the room, I usually discover all sorts of tricks to make my fight trivial, and then spend ages trying to close these loopholes. After hours and hours of playtesting, I finally finish and then decorate the room so it looks nice.

One of these days, I'll create enough rooms that play well that I'll have enough substance for a single level. It'll probably take 80 years at the rate I go at though.

darkreaver said:

Slow [/b]

Kyka said:

Slower. [/b]

BlazingPhoenix said:

Slowest.

At an absolutely glacial pace.

I try to change my methods around. For instance, 3 maps from Base Ganymede were speedmaps completed in a day while another 2 each took a month to build.

EDIT: and I have already posted in this thread. Oh well.

Spoiler

---------------------------------------------- slow. ---------------------------------------------- Slower.

Slowest.
At an absolutely glacial pace.

Stopped

Going backwards.

Generally what I've been doing is coming up with rough ideas of a number of key areas I want to include in a map, but the actual mapping process is pretty much improvised in terms of connecting them all up. I try to maintain a consistent theme, though. Then I test it, test it, and test it again to make sure there are no cheap exploits or breakable sequences.

So far I've done my best to avoid cheap gimmicks in my levels, but there was one ZDoom trick I just couldn't resist - you'll know it when you see it ;)

Krispavera said:

I try to make sure that whatever amount of map that I currently have plays well before moving on.

I playtest constantly. Sometimes I put some effort into just mapping for a while (i.e. several areas instead of one room) because I often waste time looking at some tiny little change in-game.

As for the process itself, I do everything at once. Although I find it easier to detail a map after finishing it, because I'm not trying to make new areas, just spruce it up. Anyway, I often will start out totally random - just draw a sector, and then draw some more. Sometimes I have a vague idea of what I'm trying to create - a cave or outside environment leading to a base, or a dungeon to escape from, or something. Sometimes having a pre-conceived idea improves the quality of my maps; other times it distracts me from just doing whatever. Of course, doing whatever is hard to keep up when you suddenly run out of random inspiration and have no form to follow.

I find it interesting when people do architecture, then things, and so on. I have this compulsion to set up triggers, and put in monsters and items as soon as an area is half-built. I think it would be a good exercise, at least for me, to try and make a level without any things in it. Make a structure that is fun to explore even without weapons and baddies. Perhaps I will try this next!

I think 40oz way is very unique, and also want to try it out