Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

We got texture artists here?

I hope this isn't all too much to ask, but I got some real specific ideas for a texture theme, and my talent in texture making is not as satisfying as I wish it was. I have a ton of ideas and I'll do only my best to describe to you the kinda textures I want. It's kinda a lot but most are just recolors and patch work, some a little more difficult than others. If anyone can contribute to at least a few of these I'd be extremely grateful, and much better if ya can do as many as possible.

6. Sorry to not be too specific on this, but I'd like a few shapely variants of techy fence textures such as MIDSPACE and BRNSMALC.

7. Recolored versions of SLIME15 with a Camouflage pattern painted over it, faded and scratched from age. Also same thing except with warning stripes painted over, faded as well.

13. 3 Recolored versions of STARTAN1 using the colors from BROWN96, and the two others using colors from BROWNGR. the third texture with faded Camouflage paint over top of it

15. A bunch of wooden crates made with resized versions of WOOD10 and/or other wood textures much like the TNT crates in Evilution, but without the TNT logos on them, preferably UAC logos and other military styled stencils printed on them. Also one or two with a sage green tarp stretched over the top half of it, connected at the corners with bungee cords. Also one or two with camo netting and/or barbed wire tied around it. (128x64, 64x64, 128x128, 64x128)

10. Two versions of the texture PIPES, except recolored using the same colors of BROWNGR. and another using the same colors and BROWN96

4. All the BRONZE textures and variants from doom2.wad, but recolored to use the same colors in BROWNGR

1. A texture shaped like METAL2 but with a little more of a bevel, so it doesn't look as flat, sorta like the METAL2 lookalike from KDiZD or like NMT5E_07, but with a Camouflage pattern (not that one exactly, but one with lots of green, brown and tan, and bits of gray, and black) I need the camo to look a little faded and aged, maybe some scratches or grittiness as well.

2. All the TEKGREN variants with the same shapes and textures, but recolored to use the colors from METAL2

3. The same shaped textures as NMT5E_07 and NMT5E_09 Except with the same Camo pattern used for the finished product of #1.

5. Some recolors of the pipes in PIPEWAL1 (and PIPEWAL2). Preferably some gray, dark green, and brown pipes, with gritty rustiness ala SUPPORT3.

8. TEKWALL4 with bits of cyan covering the darker areas, for a "hollowed out" version of TEKWALL4 that can be used as a mid texture. Try to have more covering than not.

9. A texture that uses bits and pieces from BROWN96 to create something that looks reminiscent of SLADWALL, one with the vertical creases, and one without.

11. This is a texture I made a long time ago that I am pretty satisfied with the shape. It needs work though. I want it to have a little more bevel like NMT5E_07 along the edges of the METAL. Also a very thin SUPPORT3 border around the perimeter of the texture (very thin, as in like 4 pixels wide)

12. With the finished product of #11, some variants of it with
TEKWALL1 and one with PIPEWAL1 where the BROWN96 part of it is.

14. A face texture much like SW1GARG, using METAL as the background, but with some kind of a techy symmetrical machine or emblem (maybe the UAC logo) protruding from it. Preferably something that's not concave. Something that's in that same style but not gothic, something that would fit in a techbase instead.

16. The exact texture as COMPUTE1 except uses the colors from METAL2 where all the gray is.

Thanks in advance to anyone who makes any or all of these texture or even makes an attempt at it.

Tell me, why the hell should people who could be bothered to learn how to make textures, spend their time doing stuff for you, for free, just because you can't be bothered to learn yourself? You say your talent for texture making isn't as good you'd like, well how about you practice until it is, instead of coming on here and expecting other people to do it for you?

Jonathan might come off a bit harsh here, but he sure does have a point. You should be able to learn this yourself.

Personally I use Neopaint for my texture/sprite work. It's easy, and doesn't confuse the hell out of me like more extended paint programs. For starters, try a simple recolour of an existing textures, or making combinations of different textures. You go from there.

Mordeth said:

Jonathan might come off a bit harsh here, but he sure does have a point. You should be able to learn this yourself.

Personally I use Neopaint for my texture/sprite work. It's easy, and doesn't confuse the hell out of me like more extended paint programs. For starters, try a simple recolour of an existing textures, or making combinations of different textures. You go from there.

This. Texture design isn't that difficult at all, it only takes a bit of effort. There are so many features with any modern paint program, from PSP to photoshop that make the process easy, from shadow effects to colourization.

I'd also recommend ripping lots of various FPS games and looking on the web for free textures to develop a library of stuff for inspiration resource purposes.

Jonathan said:

Tell me, why the hell should people who could be bothered to learn how to make textures, spend their time doing stuff for you, for free, just because you can't be bothered to learn yourself? You say your talent for texture making isn't as good you'd like, well how about you practice until it is, instead of coming on here and expecting other people to do it for you?

Probably because 40oz is busy doing everything else doom related. Speaking for myself, at the moment, I am doing all mapping, ACS scripting, basic DECORATE, sound editing, and new texture creation for my project, so while I am doing all this I would have no problem asking for help with something that I could do myself, but simply don't have the time or am simply not very good at.

So in short, while you are correct that it is better to learn to do something yourself, the reality is it is not always practical to learn more than the basics. I am grateful that there are people helping me with aspects of my project who are simply far better at what they do than I will probably ever be, thereby freeing me up to do what I do best.

Interdependence is a beautiful thing.

I like the ideas you have for the textures. I could try to make some of these, but they probably suck since I'm not much of an texture artist. So far I only created new ones by recoloring or make combinations of different textures to make new ones.

I would definitely want to make my own texture wad someday.

40oz said:

16. The exact texture as COMPUTE1 except uses the colors from METAL2 where all the gray is.

There, that wasn't difficult. Took me about ten minutes and I have no artistic ability at all.

TomoAlien said:

Tried to make a METAL2 Camouflage version:
It's a ten second job.

Awesome! Do you think you could so the same thing for N_MTE07 too? That would be sooooooo great.

TheCupboard said:

For #2: There are a lot of variations of the panel theme here: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14336.

Not exactly what I'm looking for, but close enough. Thanks!

@Jonathan: I'm saying that I don't have the tools to make these recolors and patchwork on my own (at least not quickly and easily). From what I understand there are a lot of people who can do recolors and such here which is why I'm bold enough to make this request.

fraggle said:

and I have no artistic ability at all.

I disagree, when looking at the bare pixels I'm not convinced that that was entirely just cutting and pasting. Did you do that step texture yourself?

To prove to you guys I'm not a complete load, Despite how awfully tedious it is to do with the tools I have, I went ahead and did some of these.

The things I really are gonna be having trouble with are recolors and ones that need transparent layers over top.

Fraggle, I used bits and pieces of your contribution to create the more refined version of #16.

Kyka said:

Probably because 40oz is busy doing everything else doom related. Speaking for myself, at the moment, I am doing all mapping, ACS scripting, basic DECORATE, sound editing, and new texture creation for my project

Cool, so am I. What's your point?

40oz said:

Awesome! Do you think you could so the same thing for N_MTE07 too? That would be sooooooo great.

Done:

Edit:
Another one of the NMT5 series Camouflaged:

I am a texture artist. I will do some of this stuff after I get off work tonight.

40oz said:

I disagree, when looking at the bare pixels I'm not convinced that that was entirely just cutting and pasting. Did you do that step texture yourself?

The original version that I posted to the thread was almost a complete cut and paste job, but when I tried converting it to the doom palette it looked awful, so I spent a bit more time fixing up the problem areas.

The "step" part is just a recolored version of the original compute1 texture.

Your refined version looks much better though :-)

Idea: Modify your OP to show which ones have been done, even include the [img]s.

I'll have a crack at ones which haven't been done and if I come up with anything decent I'll post it.

I agree recolors are a pain in the ass, because to colorshift you need to convert to RGB, and then you lose alot of that new info when converting back to the Doom palette.

You could try using iDraw3 for recoloring. It's limited to editing 256 color images, but that shouldn't really matter for Doom. It's great for recoloring, since its eyedropper tool will select whatever color you click on, and prevent you from editing any parts of the image that aren't that color. You can then use any of the other tools (filled rectangle works best) to recolor the selected areas, leaving everything else alone. I'm not sure if any other programs have this functionality, but I know what I use for pixel art on a regular basis (GraphicsGale) doesn't. I can't really recommend it for anything else, though.

40oz said:

7. Recolored versions of SLIME15... with warning stripes painted over, faded as well.

Made this with SLIME15 + PWFLAT1 from SKULLTAG.WAD. Original for comparison. Maybe the hazard stripes are too bright?

XWE and a copy of doompal.png work really well for recolors too, especially if you want to retain as much color information as possible. It can be a bit tricky if you got two colors that seem to form one color, but with a little luck, you can get some really good results.

40oz said:

4. All the BRONZE textures and variants from doom2.wad, but recolored to use the same colors in BROWNGR

+ =
Not sure how happy I am with this one, it definitely could be better. Let me know if you like it and I'll have a crack at the other BRONZEs too?

I'm happy to supply my GIMP .XCF files for these if anyone else wants to work on them too.

Sorry, this is more accurate with less color loss:

Right image is a more mapper-friendly version.

Edit: TomoAlien, do you have a base texture for that camo pattern? Those are without a doubt, the best camouflage textures I have ever seen for Doom. Do you also mind if others use your work?

Not directly related, but since some or all of them have already been released in Scythe X anyway, I might as well post my from-scratch BROWNGRN set here. Feel free to use them for whatever, as long as I'm credited. I created them 100% from scratch, other than the original texture's 32-unit top-bar segment that's used on the top of some of them.

http://sl4.poned.com/screens/index.php?dir=esseltex%2F07.16%2F

Since undoubtably many new textures are going to come from this thread, can those of you who do contribute include use information/permissions about your works? I think more people than 40oz can benefit from these textures.

EarthQuake said:

Since undoubtably many new textures are going to come from this thread, can those of you who do contribute include use information/permissions about your works? I think more people than 40oz can benefit from these textures.

I could difintely use some of these.

When they're done a texture wad will be posted up. Along with other flats and patches I've been working on.

Also thanks Super Jamie, the first looked a little too green and was lacking some lines of gray, Your last images look much better. Also thanks for the help as well Earthquake!