Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabbitslayer

Map im working doesnt have door sounds

Heres the map I am working on>I have a custom sound for platforms (Which does work) But the normal door sounds in map01 stopped working.I am hoping that somebody could help me fix the problem.I also tied some ambient sounds but couldnt get them to work right.They would play when I tested map but they didnt loop and I could hear them through the whole map.I took them out of map but they are still in sndinfo.Plus I would appreciate any feed back on maps.Any suggestions on how I could improve them.

http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/TheVISIT.zip

RAIN RAIN
HYD HYD
WTRLPG WTRLPG
STREAM3 STREAM3

$AMBIENTSOUND 2 STREAM3 CONTINUOUS 1
$AMBIENTSOUND 1 WTRLPG POINT CONTINUOUS 1
$SOUNDSEQUENCE 1 HYD normal 1

This is your soundinfo lump. I think part of the problem is that with the sounds, they should have a different logicalname and lumpname. eg.

sound/rain RAIN
sound/hyd HYD
sound/wtrlpg WTRLPG
sound/stream3 STREAM3

$AMBIENTSOUND 2 sound/stream3 POINT CONTINUOUS 1
$AMBIENTSOUND 1 sound/wtrlpg POINT CONTINUOUS 1
$SOUNDSEQUENCE 1 sound/hyd normal 1

any sound that is going to be tied to an ambient sound thing should always have 'POINT' in its definition, so that the sound originates from the point where the thing is.

Had a play of the map, will post more soon.

I tried changing the sndinfo to what you had but the ambient and sound seq didnt work at all.I also found another little problem when you get to the exit end up at the beginning of map01 again.I never had that problem before.

Kyka said:

This is your soundinfo lump. I think part of the problem is that with the sounds, they should have a different logicalname and lumpname. eg.

No. These are completely separate namespaces so doing a 1:1 naming is fine.

There is a lot to like in this map. I like the big eagle statue thing. The layout is interesting and unusual.

Tell the truth, I would scrap the 'higher' level functions and scripts and stuff, and keep it simple. Designing really good, balanced areas is more important than just putting lots of special effects in. Not that some of those effects aren't good, they just aren't particularly necessary. that new door sound used at the start, while good, is hardly necessary. A lot of those scripts that trigger text, i would make the linedefs once only, rather than repeatable action. I don't need a text telling me this room I have just walked into is a library, if I have already been told it is a library like 3 times.

Some of the ideas are really good, this has potential. Just focussing more on the simple things and less on the uber special effects things.

:)

Thanks for the suggestions on the map.I have got sounds to work again.I deleted all custom sounds and sndinfo and sndseq and map02 sounds work and end normal works again(renamed map03 to map02).Original map02 wasnt that great anyway.