Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DeathevokatioN

Downloading Ultimate DooM skies seperately?

I've looked all over for a place to download DooM skies seperately so I could put them into the Doom 2 wad I'm working on by simply renaming them and doing some XWE magic. :)

Anyone know where I can do this? Or do you know an easier way I can put the Doom 1 skies on? I'm using Doom Builder 2, in Doom 2 format if that helps.

I've already got Ultimate Doom on cd, I just can't get the sky textures out of it without changing Doom 2 into Doom 1 because when I load the resources through doom builder it changes some of the textures to the Doom 1 variations.

1. Get Slumped.
2. Open yourmap.wad in slumped.
3. Open doom.wad in slumped.
4. Select the skies in the doom.wad tab. Right-click, copy.
5. Go to the yourmap.wad tab. Right-click on some P_START lump, paste.
6. Save yourmap.wad.

Thanks, well I've put the sky into my wad, and renamed it to Sky1, but it doesn't show up. Am I doing something wrong, or is there another step I have to take to apply it? Sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to stuff like this.

You need to do either of those things:

1. Give your sky patch the same name as the patch used by the standard sky for that level; or
2. Add some MAPINFO lump to set the map's sky, knowing it'll work only in some ports.

Remember that patch name is not the same thing as texture name. The graphic data lumps are the patches, the texture is what's used by the game but it is created from patches through the TEXTURE1/TEXTURE2 lumps.

DeathevokatioN said:

Thanks, well I've put the sky into my wad, and renamed it to Sky1, but it doesn't show up. Am I doing something wrong, or is there another step I have to take to apply it? Sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to stuff like this.

Because in Doom2, it's "RSKY1-3" rather than "SKY1-4".

But as Gez hints, most ports allow you to define a custom sky texture of any name for every map individually; MAPINFO lumps are used by most ports, but Gez fails to mention that most ports that don't support MAPINFO lumps have equivalents to it.

I'm not familiar with these equivalents.

I kinda hoped they would be mentioned to some extent on the wiki page (since it's what a wiki is made for), beyond just "oh yeah, Doomsday has that too but it's different". At least a link to the relevant article on said port's wiki, like there are for ZDoom and Eternity.