Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eponasoft

[Solved] Issue with SLADE v3.0.2 beta 3 and sprite importing

This, again, is for my Heretic TC pwad.

I imported a group of images that are to be sprites in my pwad and converted them to usable graphics. However, they do not actually show up in-game. The imported files were named as the naming convention dictates:

abisg1.bmp thru abisg8.bmp, abish1.bmp thru abish8.bmp, etc.

however, only the ones that were initially added when I was fighting with XWE actually show up in-game... the ones that were added with SLADE 3 alone don't show up in-game. I have to be missing something here, and I wanna know what it is so if anyone has any ideas, hit me. :)

EDIT: This might help... other sprites, when viewed "Auto", show up in the center of the view window, as they should. However, the recent graphics I just added only show up in the upper left of the view window, as if they're non-sprites. I'm clearly missing something here, but I don't know what it is and the wiki hasn't been any help.

EDIT2: XWE shows them as type 36 (Image). I'm going in there now to change them all to type 31 (Sprite). It would be nice to be able to do with with SLADE alone... can it be done?

EDIT3: Even though XWE lets me initially change their type, it refuses to actually *save* them as type 31. When I reopen the wad, they're back to type 36 again. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

EDIT4: OK so if I use XWE to import them as Sprites (using the Sprite filter button), then it saves them as the correct type. I then go into SLADE, re-import all the graphics, then do batch conversion and offset. It's inefficient, but it works for now... however, this doesn't actually solve the root of the problem.

I think your issue is that you are not putting the sprites in a sprite namespace.

Also, BMPs will not work; obviously. Convert them to Doom graphics or PNG.

I have no idea how to do that in SLADE. Also, they convert to Doom graphics just fine; they just convert as the wrong type (to Image rather than Sprite).

EDIT: Just to make me look like a dirty liar, it just now somehow imported my new images as Sprites. I have no idea what I did differently.

EDIT2: It seems that using Import when the selection is amidst other sprites seems to put the graphics in the right place. Whatever works... I was able to import a whole mess of sprites this way and just convert/offset without using XWE at all. It's kind of stupid to have it done that way, but whateva...

Sprites must be placed in between the S_START and S_END markers in a wad file, or in the 'sprites' folder in a pk3.

Yes, I already know that. The question was how is that done in SLADE. The program hides all such details from the user. I've figured out how to convince it to import BMP files as sprites though, so this one's solved... mostly.

Eponasoft said:

Image rather than Sprite

Same thing. Same exact thing. There's only two picture types in Doom: Flats and the rest.

If the pics are in a sprite namespace, then they're treated as sprites. Otherwise they aren't.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Namespace

Again, this is information I already know. None of this was the question; the question was how do I make SLADE import them as Sprite rather than Image... in other words, how to make SLADE put imported graphics into the right namespace. It appears to have no option to do so, or if it does, then said option is hideously obscure and not very user-friendly.

EDIT: SS_START and SS_END don't show up on the Graphics filter, only on the All filter. That's not terribly useful, but at least it's there. So that was the problem.

Importing into the right namespace is up to the user. The filters filter by format, and since all doom graphics (sprites, patches, etc) are the same format, they all come under the 'graphics' filter.

It's not terribly intuitive, and I'm not a fan of these visual wad editors anyway... too used to deutex, but since I'm using DB, using deutex is more work than its worth so I had to find a decent alternate wad editor. Tried XWE at first but it does a horrible job for importing, and it screwed up my acs scripts too so I had to ditch it.

Anyway, this seemingly minor detail is something that should be specifically stated in the documentation for SLADE, but its documentation is lackluster and its wiki is virtually useless for the basics. Oh well. Now on to trying to figure out wtf is with the md2 models.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

What is the basics? Is it the basics of Doom modding (e.g.: "how to create and use namespaces and why they matter") or just the basics of using SLADE?

In the former, it's complicated by the multiple quirks one has to deal with the number of ports and the enduring use of vanilla. So for instance, any discussion on sprites would have to also go with notes about how to use NWT or DeuTex to merge the new sprites with the IWAD ones... And that would mean risking confusing newbies who are going to make a ZDoom mod anyway.

SLADE is straightforward. If you import lumps, they get added at the currently-selected position in the file (or at the end, if no position is selected). If you want to import them in a namespace, then select a position in that namespace. If the namespace does not exist, create it; it's just two marker lumps (or a directory).

The basics of SLADE. Sure, it's straightforward now, but when you're used to editing a configuration file, a GUI is foreign.