Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iceykiller

Game configuration / engine question

I'm a pretty new mapper, and I've only just been working on one map (and messing around with different techniques and such). I'm just using the vanilla Doom2 engine right now, but I see a lot of people using engines like ZDoom, GZDoom, Boom, so on and so forth. I also see tools like DeHacked, SLUMP, XWE, and all of this other stuff.

My question is should I get involved with using one of those more advanced engines sooner, or later? Same with the tools: should I start learning them now, or just focus on straight up mapping?

I'd say just focus on getting a grasp on basic mapping. Later on you can read up on what these source ports are capable of. It's no point in learning how to script complex stuff if you don't even know how to map.

Good point. Maybe I'll just create a simple coop map and show it to the community to see what everyone says. I like criticism, even if it's harsh, haha.

If you're new to mapping, it certainly can't hurt to get a solid grip on the fundamentals first, which vanilla maps are great for, since there's a little less to distract you. It probably won't hurt to try out more advanced stuff right away, either, but if you start by making vanilla maps, I'd say it's easier to focus on perfecting stuff like monster placement, texturing, basic architecture, and so on, without having to worry about all the other bells and whistles that can be so easily misused.

In any case, my opinion is that you probably shouldn't worry about learning all the tools until you actually want to use them for something specific. Likewise for all the other engine variants; just focus on mapping for vanilla for a while, and if you have an idea that can't be satisfactorily realized in the original game, then maybe look into whether another engine would suit your mapping ideas better.

So, yeah, what chopkinsca said.