Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vordakk

3D Bridge problem [SOLVED]

Hi again. This time I'm trying to create a 3D bridge. I followed the example in the Doomworld Editing Guide to a "T", and the bridge does in fact work(you can walk on it as well as underneath it). My problem is that I can't figure out why the flat on sector 3(the sector with the twin dummy sector that moves up and down) is showing when the bridge raises. In Requiem map 13, you never see the flat that Ikka used on that sector, yet in my level you always see it. How do I make it go away?

esselfortium said:

What nodebuilder are you using?

Good question. I have no idea to be honest. I use Doom Builder 2 to edit levels, if that helps at all. I think maybe Doom Builder must have its own nodebuilder built into the editing software, ZDBSP maybe?

Doom Builder comes with several nodebuilders, and you can see which one it's using for each game configuration by opening the Game Configurations window (hotkey F6), and checking the "Nodebuilder" tab for any given config.

Mithran Denizen said:

Doom Builder comes with several nodebuilders, and you can see which one it's using for each game configuration by opening the Game Configurations window (hotkey F6), and checking the "Nodebuilder" tab for any given config.

Ah, thank you sir! Ok, well to answer your question Essel, it appears as though I've been using ZenNode.

ZenNode is picky about self-referencing sectors. (Self-referencing sectors are the invisible ones like what you've made your bridge with.) It expects the sector numbering to go in a certain order, and if it's not in that order, you end up with what you're experiencing. I can't remember offhand whether it wants your self-referencing sector to have a lower sector number than the surrounding sector(s), or a higher one than the surrounding. I'm pretty sure it wants your self-ref sector to be a lower sector number, but either way, it should be easy enough for you to figure out the answer in your map: it's whichever one does not describe your map :P

Unfortunately Doom Builder doesn't really have a direct way to change this, and so your options are more or less these:

A) Screw around with your sectors in Doom Builder until it gets them in the needed order.
This is how I've fixed the problem before in my own maps, and it generally means making a dummy "clipboard" duplicate of a lower-numbered sector, merging the self-ref sector with the lower-numbered one, then splitting the originally lower-numbered one into its own sector again (by clicking on it while in Make Sector mode), merging it with the dummy 'clipboard' sector you used to temporarily store its properties, then deleting the lines of the dummy sector.
It's a bit easier than it sounds.
Sometimes Doom Builder doesn't want to cooperate and put the sector numbering in the order you want, still, so pay attention to the sector numbers it displays while you're doing this.

B) Rebuild your area.

C) Use a different nodebuilder. Which to choose really mostly depends on the source port you're aiming for. For instance, BSP is an acceptable substitute for ZenNode if you're making vanilla or limit-removing maps, while ZDBSP is the way to go if you're mapping for Eternity, ZDoom, PrBoom+, or other strong-limit-removing ports.

Hope this helps :)

Ok, I understand; all that makes sense and was very helpful. But let's say I want to use a different nodebuilder. Is it as simple as changing the nodebuilder in the configuration and then hitting "Save"? Or is there more I need to do in order to rebuild the nodes with a different nodebuilder?

EDIT: I think I figured it out. I changed a bit of the sector numbering like you said, and also switched to BSP. Now everything works perfectly. Thanks again!

Doom Builder might not actually rebuild the nodes unless you change your map somehow first. This can be as simple as just moving a vertex and then move it back to where it was, then save.