Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom Builder 64 Released (Updated 9/25/11)

Kaiser said:

This is a dreaded bug with the node builder. Do expect this to happen often. Try recompiling. If that doesn't work then try removing sections and see if it fixes it. You can also send me the map so I can try to troubleshoot on why the nodebuilder is failing.

I really need someone with expertise to help me out with this sort of thing as I have very little experience with node builders.

I shoehorn'ed in a temporarily hack to fix this. Redownload the editor which should contain the updated nodebuilder (sorry, no standalone release of the nodebuilder yet).

Kaiser, if you get around to enabling my sourceforge account (denizen-kane) for wiki editing, I can hopefully find the motivation to help with the tutorial docs stuff over the weekend.

Anyway, the ability to use a new sky with its own seperate palette is a nice relief, rather than having to cram it into a global color table. I've become somewhat adept at resolving palette rape over the years, but I'm glad that it's basically a non-issue with Doom 64.

I also like being able to define my own cloud patterns with greyscale images. :D

Mithran Denizen said:

Kaiser, if you get around to enabling my sourceforge account (denizen-kane) for wiki editing, I can hopefully find the motivation to help with the tutorial docs stuff over the weekend.

Anyway, the ability to use a new sky with its own seperate palette is a nice relief, rather than having to cram it into a global color table. I've become somewhat adept at resolving palette rape over the years, but I'm glad that it's basically a non-issue with Doom 64.

I also like being able to define my own cloud patterns with greyscale images. :D

Wow, that's awesome. How'd you manage this?

EDIT: Nevermind.

DaniJ said:

Evidently Kaiser didn't need my help after all. Good stuff!

Ugh I tend to keep looking into the problem and continue trying to fix it even when others say they will help me out with it. That just shows that I stubbornly persistent...

Mithran Denizen said:

Enabled 'editor' rights for denizen-kane

Thanks for giving me permission for editing. I'll be writing about Lighting now.

EDIT: I have edited Lighting. Please check it and look for spelling mistakes or some sort of bad writing.

Still waiting for the kinks to be worked out a little more before I start trying to make anything, but this is fantastic! :)

Now I just wonder how /idgames will categorize these map uploads...

The hieroglyphic-like textures kind of remind me of those ancient, vaguely Egyptian-themed DOOM 64 pre-release screenshots. Even ignoring that, that looks awesome.

Those custom textures kick ass.

CodeImp said:

When starting the editor I get two errors:

Unable to load the script configuration "ZDoom_ACS.cfg". Error: No such compiler defined: 'zdoom_acc'
Unable to load the script configuration "Skulltag_ACS.cfg". Error: No such compiler defined: 'skulltag_acc'
But maybe I accedentially installed over an older version, so if you don't have this problem with a clean install then it is probably my mistake.

I also get those errors, and I know that for certain that I did not install the new DB64 over an old version.

I have the new Doom Builder 64 installed to "C:\Games\edit\Doom Builder 64", an old version of Doom Builder 64 installed at "C:\Games\edit\Builder64", and Doom Builder 2 installed at "C:\Games\edit\Doom Builder 2" so I don't see why there would be any conflicts. Maybe something in the installer unintentionally re-used some settings from one of the other existing Doom Builder installs, even though I installed to a new folder?

sector666 said:

Those custom textures kick ass.

I also get those errors, and I know that for certain that I did not install the new DB64 over an old version.

I have the new Doom Builder 64 installed to "C:\Games\edit\Doom Builder 64", an old version of Doom Builder 64 installed at "C:\Games\edit\Builder64", and Doom Builder 2 installed at "C:\Games\edit\Doom Builder 2" so I don't see why there would be any conflicts. Maybe something in the installer unintentionally re-used some settings from one of the other existing Doom Builder installs, even though I installed to a new folder?

If you can still run the editor and use it, I'd say ignore those warnings for now.

Kaiser, can you load the original Doom wads and assets into Doom 64, then make PWADs for them that use the fancy lighting effects and stuff?

Sigvatr said:

Kaiser, can you load the original Doom wads and assets into Doom 64, then make PWADs for them that use the fancy lighting effects and stuff?

You can't, Doom64's level format is different than original Doom. I could write a tool to convert them though.

The player takes up more space as well (radius 19 & height 64 vs radius 16 & height 56 in Doom), so straight level conversion will probably result in some rooms or passages being downright inaccessable in some cases.

I was thinking that it might be a good idea to include a short section in the "Basic Overview" tutorial pointing out such scale differences, among a few other things that a classic Doom level designer will need to adjust to when mapping for Doom64.

Thanks for granting editor rights, Kaiser. I'll try to start organizing some of my notes into readable articles if I can manage to peel myself off the floor when I get home.

Mithran Denizen said:

I was thinking that it might be a good idea to include a short section in the "Basic Overview" tutorial pointing out such scale differences, among a few other things that a classic Doom level designer will need to adjust to when mapping for Doom64.

Please do. That'd be very handy.

Would it be possible to create a Arch-Vile, Revenant and Spider Mastermind using thief666's 8x higher resolution models to add these absent monsters from doom 64 into our own maps? or is this impossible?

Does Doom 64 even use a IWAD?

Awesome. Can we expect some kind of Dehacked/DECORATE/EDF mobj definition method in the near future? Or is one already present and I've passed it over entirely? Or am I an overeager ungrateful fool who should be happy with what he has been given? :) (I love the Turok stuff, by the way. Cool to hear that you were able to decompress/extract the textures.)

skaman86 said:

Would it be possible to create a Arch-Vile, Revenant and Spider Mastermind using thief666's 8x higher resolution models to add these absent monsters from doom 64 into our own maps? or is this impossible?

What thief666 is doing would result in upscaled sprites, but regardless of whether they are an improvement on the originals or not, I don't think they'd fit very well with the style of Doom64's other sprites.

I think the better approach would be for someone to recreate/reinterpret the missing monsters to fit into the game from scratch. For the hell of it, I've made some efforts to model a "Doom64-style" archvile and chaingunner in Blender, but they're both a long way from being presentable.

In truth I'm perfectly happy without the missing enemies, though. There's enough new stuff to sink my teeth into, and I barely use revenants or spiderdemons in my maps anyway.

Does Doom 64 even use a IWAD?

Yes.

Are those really Turok textures? The shots look beautiful and remind me of the first Turok. I hope this is something that will be released. I love jungle settings in Doom.

Mithran Denizen said:

I think the better approach would be for someone to recreate/reinterpret the missing monsters to fit into the game from scratch. For the hell of it, I've made some efforts to model a "Doom64-style" archvile and chaingunner in Blender, but they're both a long way from being presentable.

Agreed. I'd think it'd be easier to just make new 3D models instead of trying to redraw the old sprites larger. Besides, it's not like the DOOM 64 models were the most detailed designs ever; I wouldn't think it would be that hard to create new monster designs that were at a level of detail similar to D64's.

I'm missing action defines after 254, so most of the macro actions have to be manually entered in manually. This has caused the editor to crash a few times.