Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom Builder 64 Released (Updated 9/25/11)

There is no action defines after 254. Actions marked as 256 and beyond is considered to be a macro.

What is the "Thing Fade Out" action used? I see it mostly used in original maps before spawning a monster.

About my map, it is about to be finished, but lets hope it is enjoyable.

C30N9 said:

What is the "Thing Fade Out" action used? I see it mostly used in original maps before spawning a monster.

About my map, it is about to be finished, but lets hope it is enjoyable.

Simple, the tag is the thing TID and will cause it to fade out and be removed from level.

Mithran Denizen said:

Awesome. Can we expect some kind of Dehacked/DECORATE/EDF mobj definition method in the near future? Or is one already present and I've passed it over entirely? Or am I an overeager ungrateful fool who should be happy with what he has been given? :)

Decorate support IS planned and is one of the top things to do for modding features. It may not be fully compatible with zdoom but it will support the majority of the basic mechanics.

Kaiser said:

Simple, the tag is the thing TID and will cause it to fade out and be removed from level.

Yeah it makes sense. But why it is used before spawning a monster? (MAP23, 3 Hell Knights before the 3 keys sequence code)

Also I found several issues, figured about pointing them out:

1- Baron of Hell's sprite image is actually one of Hell Knight's sprites.
2- I believe there are no variety in colors when editing more than 1 sector. After clicking Ok all sectors' colors will be identical with the one first selected.
3- If a line with the action "Marco" edited. All of batches will be deleted from the Marco sequence.

You probably know these already. :P

EDIT: I remember while playing Absolution. There was a map that has a key, when approached, it will jump to another floor. I think it was one of Doomsday things. If it is here too I would totally use this effect.

Kaiser said:

There is no action defines after 254. Actions marked as 256 and beyond is considered to be a macro.

Oh wait, i get it now. I was thinking that they triggered a macro with different conditions instead of being a storage label for the macro sequence its-self.

Follow up question about batches: what are the conditions that would cause you to say "enough stuff has been put with this one batch, I need a new one". I'm assuming that unless otherwise stated, all batches execute sequentially from first to last when triggered. That being said, is there any significance to why some increment by 5 and others by 10?

skadoomer said:

Oh wait, i get it now. I was thinking that they triggered a macro with different conditions instead of being a storage label for the macro sequence its-self.

Follow up question about batches: what are the conditions that would cause you to say "enough stuff has been put with this one batch, I need a new one". I'm assuming that unless otherwise stated, all batches execute sequentially from first to last when triggered. That being said, is there any significance to why some increment by 5 and others by 10?

The way batches work is that it will execute all actions in that batch and then it will wait until the last action in that batch has finished. Once it has finished, it will begin executing everything in the next batch.

skadoomer said:

The only thing I noticed was that when I first tried creating a fake bridge, if I grouped the floor and ceiling moves together in the same batch the ceiling (which came later in the batch) would never move, even though the movement actions were instant. So apparently any separate movements affecting the same sector need to be batched separately.

C30N9 said:

First custom map :) (Not technically):
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30459482/64_test.wad

This is a test map, but if it gets liked it is going to /idgames.

Please note the water teleport pad is not working, so you have to "noclip" back. I don't know, and whoever finds the reason tell me.

Hope you enjoy!

When I drag and drop the WAD on the doom64.exe or the launcher it just I just get an error message that says it can't read/use the WAD.

How are you suppose to use custom WADS with Doom64 anyways?

C30N9 said:

First custom map :) (Not technically):
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30459482/64_test.wad

This is a test map, but if it gets liked it is going to /idgames.

Please note the water teleport pad is not working, so you have to "noclip" back. I don't know, and whoever finds the reason tell me.

Hope you enjoy!

Some of the areas feel a bit cramped for the number of monsters you fight in them, but other than that and the broken teleporter this is pretty good.

Had to rename the file to get -file to see it. I thought it was a pretty enjoyable map but yeah I agree with Dragonsbrethren about the crampedness of the map.

Kaiser said:

in the launcher type -file <wad file> at the bottom

That sounds a bit cumbersome compared to how you play Pwads for Doom/Doom 2 where you just drag and drop the files into the exe.

I personally find it easier to just load the first level in the Pwad into Doom Builder 64 and then press the "test" button.

hardcore_gamer said:

That sounds a bit cumbersome compared to how you play Pwads for Doom/Doom 2 where you just drag and drop the files into the exe.

If you just want a quick way to load Doom64 pwads via drag and drop, here is a windows batch file which took about 3 seconds to make:

doom64.exe -file %1 %2 %3 %4
If you save that in a text file wherever DOOM64.EXE is, and change the .txt extension to .cmd, you should be able to drag pwads (up to 4 at a time) onto it to run them. If you add a full path to your executable, then you won't even need to keep the batch file in the Doom64 Ex directory.

Mithran Denizen said:

you should be able to drag pwads (up to 4 at a time)

Here's a better batch file:

doom64.exe -file %*
You should be able to drag pwads (up to sixteen billion gajillions and a half at a time). Disclaimer: requires Windows NT 4 or newer; so it won't work in Win98.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Some of the areas feel a bit cramped for the number of monsters you fight in them, but other than that and the broken teleporter this is pretty good.

Yeah, I'm not used to "Demon sized" Imps and some other monsters.

Footman, it was a good map. Nuff said. BTW how did you change the name? (Footman 1 in the auto-map)

C30N9 said:

Footman, it was a good map. Nuff said. BTW how did you change the name? (Footman 1 in the auto-map)

Mapinfo lump. :)

C30N9 said:

In my opinion the fact that the monsters are much larger in Doom 64 is one of the things that made Doom 64 cool.

Also, whenever I start Doom Builder 64 I get some kind of an error about Skulltag and Zdoom, yet I can still make maps. Anyone else getting this?

hardcore_gamer said:

Also, whenever I start Doom Builder 64 I get some kind of an error about Skulltag and Zdoom, yet I can still make maps. Anyone else getting this?

Do not install DB 64 in the same directory as DB 2.

Gez said:

Do not install DB 64 in the same directory as DB 2.

It doesn't matter, mine is on separate folder, and I still get the same errors.

Do you mean not putting the 2 builders in the same outer directory? (Program Files\Doom Builder 2 and Program Files\Doom Builder 64)

C30N9 said:

It doesn't matter, mine is on separate folder, and I still get the same errors.

Do you mean not putting the 2 builders in the same outer directory? (Program Files\Doom Builder 2 and Program Files\Doom Builder 64)

I was wondering about this as well.

Doom Builder 2 is installed at:

C/program files(x86)/Doom Builder 2

While Doom Builder 64 is installed at:

C/program files(x86)/Doom Builder 64

And I still get those errors.

I already sent Kaiser an email about this but for anyone else using the editor, be careful undoing changes while you're in 3D mode, I've had it crash on me a couple times now.

I crammed some notes into the Basic Overview article. The format could use some work, and I'm not sure how well it addresses the point of the article title, to be honest. What other sort of information should be included in the overview page?

Anyway, I tried to include some useful starting info, but I it might be a little much, I don't know. Some of it could likely be condensed, seperated into other articles, or perhaps deleted. Hopefully I didn't add in any stuff that is outright wrong, but there are a few points which I'm not 100% certain about, like whether or not the engine supports non-indexed color PNGs. (I know it doesn't seem to like the greyscale PNGs saved by Photoshop, but I haven't bothered to check any further than that.)

At least it's a start. I'll try to revise the page in the near future, and I have ideas for a few basic level tutorials as well, but it could probably use some love from another editor.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I already sent Kaiser an email about this but for anyone else using the editor, be careful undoing changes while you're in 3D mode, I've had it crash on me a couple times now.

Fixed now.. I hope.