Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mk3Howitzer

XWE rare issue (melted)

Either I'm the fuck up of all fuck ups or I don't know what else.

Here's whats going on. Rather new to mapping/XWE-but it's pretty straight forward.

I've never FULLY imported textures to my doom map, they always seemed to bug out or go FULL gray scale and buggy-I seriously can't figure out why because every How to video makes it look so simple, yet I cant upload a 24 bit .bmp file without it fucking up-anyway, that's no longer my main problem.

After fixing what I finally thought was wrong, I imported my new edited textures to XWE as raw data (to see if that would make them come in in color-and it did) Great! I thought, closed it, opened doom builder, and it crashed instantly. Maybe I did something wrong in XWE, so I reopen XWE, it crashes.. It keeps crashing, both of them, as soon as they'ed started.

Step one: Restart computer, both still being fuck ups.
Step two: Try loading DIFFERENT wads that I've never edited before-it still crashes..?
Step three: Repeat step two with different doom2 wads in different locations (back ups) - Still crashes..
Step four: Delete XWE, reinstall it, OPEN IT... IT CRASHES.. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE..?
Step five: Delete XWE, reinstall it, get a NEW doom2 wad, just in case, IT STILL CRASHES.

Sidenote: I've always had to open XWE as Administrator-it doesn't work otherwise. This doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone else.

Did windows 7 suddenly develop a HATE for anything doom related? Can anyone shed any light on this? I can open Doombuilder, but upon trying to open a map, it crashes. (Even if its something someone else created)

I would seriously like some insight on this, seeing as my maps have had a lot of time put into them, months, and I can't even open them anymore.

EDIT: The only possible thing I can do is use one of the backup copies of my saved map, however they don't have a lot of the recent work I've done (Hours-Days worth). I believe it to be the fault of the textures I've attempted to put in my map. XWE refuses to open still If i try to open up my main wad, but it will open something I didn't add the textures to. Is there anyway to salvage the work I've lost? I'd like to somehow try to delete those textures out of my map to see if it will load. Any ideas?

It looks like you're being frustrated by an obsolete, unmaintained utility.

Would you like help downloading SLADE 3?

mk3Howitzer said:

Step three: Repeat step two with different doom2 wads in different locations (back ups) - Still crashes..

I hope you haven't been modifying your IWADs, if they're corrupted I expect you'd have problems opening anything in DoomBuilder or XWE.

Step four: Delete XWE, reinstall it, OPEN IT... IT CRASHES.. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE..?

Deleting XWE doesn't remove it's Registry keys, so problems can persist after re-installation. <rummages through post history> Try this, and you might find a few more useful tips in that thread.

If the issue's a very recent one, you could consider backing-up your work to a flash drive and doing a System Restore. Posting the offending files to a file sharing service (MediaFire works for me) for inspection is another option.

Thanks for the responses, after goofing around more with the multiple back ups doom builder gives, I've found that it somehow managed to have one that has 99% of everything before I attempted to add textures.

So XWE is bad and I should move onto slade?

(Because honestly when I can't even get a texture to show itself in color after following directions to the letter it really bugs me)

mk3Howitzer said:

So XWE is bad and I should move onto slade?

XWE has its uses but is somewhat flaky under Vista and Windows 7, so I'd suggest you switch to Slade. One of the video tutorials might also be leading you astray, could you post links to them?

I still use XWE for some situations where SLADE3 fails or doesn't have enough features. But since SLADE3 keeps getting SVN updates, I guess it can better replace XWE. Sometimes I even use DEEPSEA because I trust its TEXTUREx merging abilities and that it comes readily shipped with MUS2MIDI.

I wish SLADE3 would get some more palette editing features. For example, the ability to edit a range of colours in PLAYPAL (instead of one-by-one) and automatically apply the damage/drug/radsuit transformations (tints) to the other palettes afterwards, in relation to new palette 0.

printz said:

I wish SLADE3 would get some more palette editing features. For example, the ability to edit a range of colours in PLAYPAL (instead of one-by-one) and automatically apply the damage/drug/radsuit transformations (tints) to the other palettes afterwards, in relation to new palette 0.

Both of these things are already possible.

Select one of the color modification tools (colourise, tint, tweak, etc.) and you can select the range you want on the preview palette. Only it will be affected.

At any moment, you can use the "generate palettes" function and it'll automatically recreate the other palettes.

GreyGhost said:

could you post links to them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk1Bkm-B1X4&feature=related

This was what I did. I was using edited textures I redid in photoshop cs5-saved them as 24bit bmps. And attempted to "Double click -> add to my map" - and they'd show up as gray or strangely saturated, including in my map.

I ran into deadly complicated when trying to inject/load them as Raw Data, but that somehow showed them to me in color..

When I tested this in my map, the textures showed in DB2, but upon playing, it was just a See through HOM like texture, like it was missing-and I could just see through it, but with no mirror effect.

I know one thing XWE has that SLADE3 doesn't: ENDOOM editing.

Yes, XWE was good while it lasted (and so was WinTex; free cookie for the first person who remembers this tool :P), but you've got to get on with the times.

mk3Howitzer said:

That approach works best with 8bit images, XWE's attempts to convert 24bit images to Doom's 8bit palette usually makes a mess of them.

24bit bmps.

I should have paid more attention to that in your first post, PNG is the preferred 24bit image format . I can't think of any ports that support BMP lumps - certainly not members of the ZDoom family.

Uhg, I gotta stop assuming things, when I saved textures to edit in cs5, they came out as bmps, so i just thought they'd go back in the same way. Ill try messing around some more before dropping XWE all together, my map(s) aren't too complicated if textures are going to be the most I do.

Thanks for the help.