Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MasterofJKD

interesting thought....will need help

I was wondering if it was possible if you can do a walk over linedef action, have that trigger an explosion near a wall and have that wall break apart, and have it open to another area. I know this is gonna take some acs and that's where it would get tricky but it would be interesting to know how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Doesn't necessarily need ACS but it would make life easier. You could use an animated door for the destructible wall (will require a set of textures for the wall in varying states of collapse) and a custom actor to create an explosion, shake the room a bit and maybe scatter some debris.

In map Z1M1 of kdizd_11.pk3 there is such a scenario.

At one point you need to find a stick of dynamite, which then will blow a hole into the wall to progress.

I imagine one could fudge it with Vanilla and Dehacked by taking advantage of one of the shoot to X line types or an instant mover and placing some non-solid actors that explode on sight on top of the lowered/raised/opened wall.

I mean Eternal Doom, for an old example, uses a similar trick for shootable glass.

I think Strain also had some "exploded wall" effect, made by overlapping a normal wall (actually a door) with a "broken wall" custom mid texture. Explosions can be simulated with hidden barrels and linedef-activated crushers, too (as seen e.g. in FORGEX.WAD). Important note: you never actually see the wall "blowing up", just the aftermath of the "explosion" (you can now walk though the wall into a new area, which has an irregular hole instead of just a door).

Eregore said:

What is this, the first level of Duke Nukem 3D?!

No its for a wad I'm working on...a "city level" I know very original but I have some interesting ideas circling in my head if i figure out how to do this. I'm already completely finished with the first level that takes place on a space station. The level I'm working on now you take an elevator from the space station to earth, where as the level progresses you see hell slowly coming through into our world. (which is 80% done) after that you go to the city and it would be cool to switch up how you encounter different entrances. Plus i have a scenario where the wall beside you blows up and theres a mancubus on the other side. Where it's implied that the mancubus blew up the wall to get you.
In the city level I'd like to trick the player into thinking that the monsters are actually actively trying to get you i.e"hunting" you and not just passively becoming active with sound and sight triggers.
Honestly compared to DooM, duke nukem is trash...no offense intended but Doom will stand the test of time. Duke Nukem was ruined for me with the release of Duke Nukem Forever.