Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vegeta

Extracting maps

Can someone tell me how to extract the DOOM maps as pictures?
I'm working in a large DOOM project, and I'd like to make some kind of strategy guide for it.
I know that shots of the maps, actualy aren't a great thing, but, you know...

Probably the best way is to open the DooM or DooM2 wad in an editor, open the map for which you want a picture, and use "Print Screen" on your keyboard to take a picture in pcx format. Use a graphics program to convert the format into one of your choice.

Also, it might help to use a port like ZDoom so you can take higher resolution shots, which means less cut+paste of screens in the end. You can also output straight to BMP as well with a lot of ports, so you don't have to go through the PCX hassle (Doom's PCX's often open as black&white and funky inverted colors anyhow).

Originally posted by Vegeta
Can someone tell me how to extract the DOOM maps as pictures?

What kind of picture? A drawing of the level (as in an editor) or what the player sees?

If a line drawing, both WA and DeePsea can print level map lines directly. What DeePsea prints varies depending on your current settings. To print each level, just select File/Edit Level and go from level to level. Then select File/Print/Print Map

Using PrintScrn (for Windows) in either an editor or the engine (unless it intercepts) usually just puts it on the windows clipboard. Then you can "paste" this image into a graphics editor.

Don't know your printer, resolution, etc, so you decide which one looks the best for what you want to do.