Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Midi help

I'm using Zdoom and I know it's a limit-removing source port but is there a limit to how long a midi file can be? My friend is making a midi track for a level I'm working on, and I would like to know how long the song can be.

I've never fussed with midis myself, so all I'm going by is the Doom wiki (adding custom music). They don't mention a limit on duration, only on file-size: no greater than 64kb, to be exact.

That is... incredibly small. I had no idea midis were so efficient! New respect gained.

I'm pretty sure ZDoom doesn't have a limit. It can play large WAV, MP3, and OGG files, so why not MIDI?

schwerpunk said:

I've never fussed with midis myself, so all I'm going by is the Doom wiki (adding custom music). They don't mention a limit on duration, only on file-size: no greater than 64kb, to be exact.

That is... incredibly small. I had no idea midis were so efficient! New respect gained.

MIDIs in vanilla Doom can be larger than 64kb, but the conversion to MUS (done automatically, internally inside Doom) has to yield a file less than 64kb. In practice, midis can generally be up to around 96kb (probably a bit less) before this occurs.

awesome thanks for the help, I put his song in the wad and it works perfectly.