Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

What can I use to convert sounds to Doom format?

SLADE3 quietly fails most of the time converting Microsoft WAV sounds to Doom format. Normally I use XWE for this sort of thing when SLADE3 fails, but now XWE fails working (I get errors all the time and the PWAD won't open).

Is there any simple tool to convert WAV sounds to Doom's format? Note that I'm not limiting myself to 11025 format, I may also use 22050 or 44100 (all 8-bit unsigned).

EDIT: Looks like I had to remove the Audacity exported metadata, so now Slade knows what to do. Please put a message box with a feedback on why it fails. I had to Google for a strange forum to find this out.

Also Audacity is too fucking bloated for this shit. I need something simpler, such as the Windows XP (and before) Sound Recorder utility. Don't give me the "it is crap compared to free stuff like Audacity". No it's not crap.

printz said:

Does Doom use NeXT .snd files?

According to the wiki, it uses raw PCM with a header related to the DMX library.

BTW, it looks like xwadtools has a couple programs related to audio:
dm2au - extract sfx sound data from a WAD file in Sun Ulaw format
raw2sfx - convert raw sound data into id's sfx sound format. It looks this program must prepend the required DMX header to the lump. raw2sfx expects u8 11KHz mono input, but the code is very short (only like 2 pages long) so you could probably modify it if needed...

I use Goldwave. It can also convert Ogg Vorbis sounds to Doom format. Just convert the sound to "Wav, Unsigned Mono 8-bit" and then you can convert it to Doom format using SLADE3.

I wrote a small program that does just that in this thread called DoomSND.

It requires Java to run, though.

EDIT: Whoops, took me a day to realize that someone already posted it. D'oh.

I use Audacity for alot of sound converting and tweaking. Its a simple, small hassle free program with lots of tutorials and plug ins.

printz said:

EDIT: Looks like I had to remove the Audacity exported metadata, so now Slade knows what to do. Please put a message box with a feedback on why it fails. I had to Google for a strange forum to find this out.

Please put an example file that fails somewhere for testing.