Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yokai

Eureka Editor: help and tips

A great editor still in development, but really powerful.
There is no manual or something, so anyone can post here how to do something specific with Eureka:

--==How to create corridors==--

Yokai said:
- Lets say I have a sector, when I insert another sector outside the first one, how do i "join" the second sector to the first one, so i can do a room-corridor structure where the corridor is a different sector (this is, there is a 2 sides ldef between room and corridor)

This is done in "vertex mode", and you no need to create/insert a new sector.

· First, press "v" key, so you will enter vertex mode.
· Now, move the mouse pointer to where you want the first vertex in the new sector/corridor to be.*
· Press [SPACEBAR] or [INSERT] to create that first vertex.
· Create the next vertex using [SPACEBAR] or [INSERT]. You will note how Eureka automatically creates a "virtual linedef".**
· Repeat the previous step until you build the desired sector shape. ***

NOTES:
* : to create a corridor, you can start creating vertexes in anywhere and clockwise or counterclockwise. In some old doom map editors, I think that creating lines in clockwise or counterclockwise will result in different types of sectors (due to the linedef facing direction). Eureka will create a corridor no mater the direction or if you start drawing the first vertex outside or over the already existing sector.

** : I call that a "virtual ldef" because that is in red-color and that line is not actually modifying your map. You will need to finish drawing the sector for all those red-colored ldefs to be created.

*** : for corridors, you don't need to draw the last vertex over the first vertex. Eureka will automatically check when a sector is closed and then create it. Because corridors have ate least one linedef that is from a previously existing sector, then you need to draw one less line.

--==How to create a column==--

Yokai said:
- How can i create a column into another sector? I mean to create a hollow into a sector

This is actually really easy:

1) Enter vertex mode.

2) Draw a column. You need to draw the last vertex OVER the first vertex to create a closed sector.

3) There is an option in the program configuration that says "new islands have void interior". If you have this option activated, go to 7). Else, go to 4)

4) Once you have create the new sector into another sector, that will be a 2 sides ldefs sector.

5) Enter "lines mode" (key L) and select all lines in the new sector, or enter "sectors mode" (key S), select the sector and change to "lines mode".

6) In the properties panel (to the right), you can see that all those lines have 2 sides. If the lines are facing to the innar part of the new sector, press "w" and then remove the "back sidedef". If they are facing to the outside (to the previously existing sector), then delete the "back sidedef"

7) You are done.

--==How to create a pool==--

Yokai said:
- How can i create a non-solid sector into another sector, for example a pool of water? [/B]

1) Enter "vertex mode"

2) Draw the sector you want to be a pool or water.

3) There is an option in the program configuration that says "new islands have void interior". If you have this option activated, go to 4). Else, go to 7)

4) The new sector is in fact not a sector, but a void hole in the previously existing sector.

5) Enter "sector mode" and mouve the pointer over that void space where you want to create the pool

6) Press key [SPACEBAR] or [INSERT]. Eureka will do magic and will create a new sector/pool from the void. ;-)

7) You are done.

--==How to create a column by a 1side ldef==--

1) Enter "vertex mode"

2) Draw the sector you want to be a column. Like in a corridor, you only need to draw 3 lines because the 4th one will be already a linedef from the previously existing sector.

3) The new sector is a pool, even if you have the option "new islands have void interior" activated.

4) Change to "lines mode" and select the new lines you have created. remember, ONLY the new lines.

5) if these lines are facing towards the interior of the pool, then go to 6), else goto 7)

6) Press "w" to flip the facing direction of the lines.

7) In the properties pannel, remove the back sidedef of the lines.

8) Deselect the lines and select the line that was belonging to the previously existing sector.

9) Remove such line.

10) You are done.

ALTERNATIVE:

1) Change to Lines Mode (Key "L" by default)

2) Hover over the line where you want the column (do NOT select it)

4) Split this line 4 times by pressing "K" 4 times.

5) Change to Vertex mode and move the new vertexes to where you want.

6) You are done.

--==How to create a pool by a 1side ldef==--

1) Enter "vertex mode"

2) Draw the vertexes in the same order as in the image.*

3) When you draw the last vertex, the sector will be a pool instead of a column.**

4) You are done

*: Actually, you can start the first vector in possition 4 or in 1, but never in 2 or 3.
**: This will always happen even if you have the Eureka option "new islands have void interior" enabled.

Cheers Yokai, I'm sure someone will find that useful, and will help me when I finally get around to making some tutorials :-)

andrewj said:

Cheers Yokai, I'm sure someone will find that useful, and will help me when I finally get around to making some tutorials :-)

You can use what I wrote there in the Eureka Docs section

BTW I'm already doing a map for Legacy using only Eureka. So far, I get used to Eureka, it is really easy use, stable and some useful features. Ofc, using Eureka the way it must be used: Linux.
Still needs some fixes and additions, but so far you did a great work.

I'm not sure what else help tip can I write... Just let me know if you want I write the documentation for some specific Eureka feature.

Also, I added images to the first post.

Thank you Yokai. After just getting my ass whipped by Deep Sea's getting-started-quickie-guide, I swear I will attempt to map again dammit, hardware failures be damned!

Added one new tip: "How to create a pool by a 1-side ldef"

zZaRDoZz said:

Thank you Yokai. After just getting my ass whipped by Deep Sea's getting-started-quickie-guide, I swear I will attempt to map again dammit, hardware failures be damned!

Eureka is really easy to use and not overbloated with featured.
Only needs a bit more work and polish, but it is going the good way.

Retting said:

Can you go into a preview or 3d mode so i dont just have to guess what it looks like?

IIRC Eureka does have a 3D mode, too lazy to fire up the damn thing and check.

On 7/2/2013 at 10:30 AM, Yokai said:

A great editor still in development, but really powerful.
There is no manual or something, so anyone can post here how to do something specific with Eureka:

On 7/5/2013 at 10:00 AM, andrewj said:

On 7/6/2013 at 5:14 AM, Yokai said:

You can use what I wrote there in the Eureka Docs section

I'm not sure what else help tip can I write... Just let me know if you want I write the documentation for some specific Eureka feature.

@Yokai got this off to a great start back in 2013, but there still are no manual or tutorials. This is understandable, as Eureka is a free product that @andrewj developed and maintains (and @printz ports it to Mac) to support the Doom community for free. Even with it being freeware, it's a great program, IMHO.

Since those comments back in July, 2013, there's been three major releases that have added a number of features and improved functionality to the editor.

Would there be any interest in the community that uses Eureka writing a manual/tutorials? If Andrew is opposed to it, then this idea dies on the vine. But I thought I would put the idea out there.