Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Edit PLAYPAL to remove the pick up effect

Me again. I'd like to make a wad that removes the flash that occurs when you pick up items. If I understand correctly, I need to edit palettes 10-12 in PLAYPAL. What's the easiest way to do that? Seems like in Slade you can only edit the colors one-by-one, are there some better tools for PLAYPAL editing? Would be cool if you could just open it in Paint, copy the normal palette and paste it instead of palettes 10-12.

Thank you GreyGhost but can you please explain how you did this? I can open PLAYPAL in a Hex editor but how do I know where one palette ends and another palette begins? There are no markers or anything like that... I'd like to play around with this a little more. I think I don't want the pick up effect to disappear completely, I just don't like how it stays for way too long if you pick up a lot of items at the same time, so maybe I could remove the brightest effect but leave the other two palettes.

Da Werecat said:

It can be opened as a RAW image, 32x112 (optimal for editing), 3 channels.

More scary words. :) How do I do that\which program should I use?

Memfis said:

How do I do that\which program should I use?

Well, extract the palette, change its extension to "raw", then open it in an advanced image processing tool. You should be asked about resolution and some other image properties.

I'm using Photoshop, but I'm sure that there are other programs capable of reading and saving RAW files.

Memfis said:

I think I don't want the pick up effect to disappear completely, I just don't like how it stays for way too long if you pick up a lot of items at the same time, so maybe I could remove the brightest effect but leave the other two palettes.

This way it will flash briefly, then disappear, and then flash again.

Memfis said:

Me again. I'd like to make a wad that removes the flash that occurs when you pick up items. If I understand correctly, I need to edit palettes 10-12 in PLAYPAL. What's the easiest way to do that? Seems like in Slade you can only edit the colors one-by-one, are there some better tools for PLAYPAL editing?/B]

Not true!

You can right-click and edit any color one-by-one, sure, but you have many other features at your disposal.

For example, you can take the first palette, and duplicate it entirely. Make three copies of it (total palette count: 17). Then delete the pickup palettes (palette count: back to 14). Then move the duplicate palettes to their final place.

You can also edit entire palettes (or entire palette ranges) with the various options from the palette menu. Tint, tweak, colorize...

Each of the palettes in a PLAYPAL lump can be separately exported (Palette->Export to... instead of Entry->Export) and imported (Palette->Import from...).

Lol thanks, I didn't notice these nifty buttons on top. This is much easier hehe.

Da Werecat said:

This way it will flash briefly, then disappear, and then flash again.

Yeah, it will look a bit strange I guess but still better than swimming in piss for 30 seconds. :P

Memfis said:

Thank you GreyGhost but can you please explain how you did this? I can open PLAYPAL in a Hex editor but how do I know where one palette ends and another palette begins? There are no markers or anything like that... I'd like to play around with this a little more.

Each palette is 768 bytes in length, so you can calculate the start address of each one by multiplying its palette number by 768 then converting the result to hexadecimal (if your editor won't accept decimal addresses). To give you a head start, palettes 10-12 start at Hex addresses 1E00, 2100 & 2400.

Neat, I think it's pretty cool how the palette format is so simple that you can make some changes with just Notepad++. Thanks again!

I know this is an old thread, but i have never done any doom wad editing and i would love an edited doom wad just like you describe here. I have epilepsy so the flash effect that occurs whenever you pick up something is a big no no for me.