Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
c1rcu1tn3rd

Hexen/Heretic/Doom monsters

I've been trying for hours to get Doom or Heretic monsters into Hexen or vice versa with any of them. I use Zdoom. If you do "summon cyberdemon" in Heretic or Hexen it'll still spawn it but it will be invisible. I've tried copying and pasting the sprites from the doom2.wad but it doesn't work. I've tried loading doom2.wad as an additional resource into Doombuilder 2 with hexen.wad or heretic.wad. It shows the enemies but also all textures go whack colors. I've tried looking in all 3 different wads for the actual monster but all I can find are the sprites. My question is how exactly can I summon one monster from 1 game into another without them being invisible or having rainbow colors. Or is there someway to extract an enemy directly from a wad? I know custom monsters have their own wads.

To get the cyberdemon into Hexen, as an example:

• Get Slade: http://slade.mancubus.net/
  • Open up doom2.wad
  • Make a new empty wad or pk3 (zip) archive. Let's do a pk3 because it means we can use png for images.
  • Make two new folders in your pk3, called sprites and sounds. Here is some more information about the directory structure for pk3's: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement
  • Figure out what sounds and graphics you need. If you want, you can just copy all the sprites to the sprites directory, and all the sounds to the sounds directory. This way you should be able to use any Doom monster in any other game.
  • If you want to be more specific, you can search search google for "zdoom cyberdemon actor", and you get this page - http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Cyberdemon - which lists all the resources used by the cyberdemon. The CYBR sprites are needed, so copy all of those from doom2.wad into the sprites directory of your pk3. For the sounds, you need to cross-reference with ZDoom's SNDINFO lump - http://zdoom.org/wiki/Predefined_sounds - which will tell you that you need the sounds cybsit, dsdmact, dsdmpain, dscybdth, dshoof. Copy these to your sounds directory. Since the cyberdemon fires rockets, you need to do the same thing with the rocket sprites and sounds.
  • I think you need to add a new SNDINFO lump too, since these sound aliases only exist for Doom. Don't have time to check right now, sorry.
  • Now you need to convert the graphics so that they aren't in the Doom palette. Since we're using a pk3, you can convert them into truecolour png files that don't need a palette - this way this same file will work for the cyberdemon in any game. Select all the sprites in your pk3, click the 'Convert Gfx To...' button. Select 'PNG (Truecolour)' for the format to convert to, and choose the Doom palette for the Current Graphic. Now hit convert all.
  • Save your pk3 file and then run it with zdoom, and you should be able to summon the Cyberdemon in any other game and have him look and sound properly. (If he's silent, it's because you need to make a SNDINFO lump, I'll get back to you on this if you can't figure it out.)
Can't double-check this right now so there might be an error somewhere, but this should point you in the right direction at least.

First of all, don't alter the IWADs. That's important.

Second, I'm guessing Heretic, Hexen and Doom use different colormaps and therefore any resources(except for unpaletted PNGs) will look nasty if used in the wrong game. Your best bet is to create a wad with the sprites in PNG format and load that file simultaneously with the IWAD. I'm not the most savvy with ZDoom so there might be technicalities, but this should hopefully work. Any future help threads should probably be posted in Editing. :)

EDIT: DARN IT PLUMS!

plums said:

To get the cyberdemon into Hexen, as an example:

• Get Slade: http://slade.mancubus.net/
  • Open up doom2.wad
  • Make a new empty wad or pk3 (zip) archive. Let's do a pk3 because it means we can use png for images.
  • Make two new folders in your pk3, called sprites and sounds. Here is some more information about the directory structure for pk3's: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement
  • Figure out what sounds and graphics you need. If you want, you can just copy all the sprites to the sprites directory, and all the sounds to the sounds directory. This way you should be able to use any Doom monster in any other game.
  • If you want to be more specific, you can search search google for "zdoom cyberdemon actor", and you get this page - http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Cyberdemon - which lists all the resources used by the cyberdemon. The CYBR sprites are needed, so copy all of those from doom2.wad into the sprites directory of your pk3. For the sounds, you need to cross-reference with ZDoom's SNDINFO lump - http://zdoom.org/wiki/Predefined_sounds - which will tell you that you need the sounds cybsit, dsdmact, dsdmpain, dscybdth, dshoof. Copy these to your sounds directory. Since the cyberdemon fires rockets, you need to do the same thing with the rocket sprites and sounds.
  • I think you need to add a new SNDINFO lump too, since these sound aliases only exist for Doom. Don't have time to check right now, sorry.
  • Now you need to convert the graphics so that they aren't in the Doom palette. Since we're using a pk3, you can convert them into truecolour png files that don't need a palette - this way this same file will work for the cyberdemon in any game. Select all the sprites in your pk3, click the 'Convert Gfx To...' button. Select 'PNG (Truecolour)' for the format to convert to, and choose the Doom palette for the Current Graphic. Now hit convert all.
  • Save your pk3 file and then run it with zdoom, and you should be able to summon the Cyberdemon in any other game and have him look and sound properly. (If he's silent, it's because you need to make a SNDINFO lump, I'll get back to you on this if you can't figure it out.)
Can't double-check this right now so there might be an error somewhere, but this should point you in the right direction at least.

Yep this works. Thanks so much!

Re: plums's instructions: they'll work, but two things I should note.

1) You can insert PNGs into a standard WAD just fine; you don't HAVE to use a PK3 file. You can if you want, though. Might even make organization easier.

2) Yes, you definitely need to make a new SNDINFO lump redefining the relevant sounds. I speak from the experience of making a merged Doom/Heretic monster/weapon WAD for use in OBLIGE (although I barely used it).

You don't need to convert the images to truecolor PNGs. Paletted PNG graphics carry their own palette, and so are not dependent on the global game palette. So you can convert graphics to paletted PNG, since they are paletted to begin with, you will not lose anything -- it'll just make the lumps a bit smaller (in most cases).

Thanks for the corrections guys. I thought paletted PNGs would probably work but I knew truecolour PNGs would work for sure.

c1rcu1tn3rd: one last thing, some objects from different games use the same sprite names, and ZDoom renames them internally. If you want to use them in other games or edit them for ZDoom, you have to use the new names. Here's a list - http://zdoom.org/wiki/sprite#Conflicting_sprite_names

e.g. if you want to put an Iron Lich into another game besides Heretic, you need to rename all the HEAD sprites that the Iron Lich uses to be LICH, because HEAD is for Cacodemons.

hi guys,
I have the same issue, I can summon doom's monsters (like cyberdemon) in hexen, but they are invisible. I am very noob with the editor....someone could explain me how to summon visible doom's monster in hexen step by step?...Expecially the solution that edit directly the WAD ( i have original wad because I bought them all on steam).

Load the game with Hexen.wad as IWAD + Doom2.wad as the first PWAD + Hexen.wad (again) as the second PWAD. That way, you'll play Hexen, but Doom 2 resources will be loaded as well, therefore the sprites and sounds will be available. This method doesn't require actually editing/modifying any of the wads, it's all about parameters with which you launch the source port when you're going to play the game.

EDIT: Now I realized, though, since Doom and Hexen use different palettes, the sprites will probably display improper colors, probably even if you use a port with OpenGL rendering, so this might not be that good of a method.

EDIT2: And to make the sounds work, it would still require loading an additional PWAD with a custom SNDINFO, so this isn't really the sufficient way to go.

EDIT3: Plums already provided an exact step-by-step guide earlier in this thread. What's not clear to you?

hi scifista42,
my problem is how to edit SNDINFO...This file is in hexen.wad and when I try to save it after modify, slade give me an error message (probably this file is protected). In the last few days I spend lot of my time to train slade...and now I am less noob ;-)

Don't edit the IWAD, make a new PWAD instead (containing the converted sprites + sounds + SNDINFO) and load this PWAD together with the Hexen IWAD when launching the game (run the game executable with parameters "-iwad Hexen.wad -file <your_pwad_name>").

Can you help me in moving the dark bishop and other hexen enemies to heretic? I tried to move the dark bishop to heretic, but I am getting errors in doing so.

You need to include their sprites and sounds in the wad (and convert the sprites to Heretic palette or png format to make them look correctly).