Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Doom Builder frustrations

A few things I would love to be able to do in DB but can't figure out how, and likely can't be done without editing the source code:

* Disable RMB = draw, entirely. Have it always edit selections, or just do nothing if clicked not on a selection, either would be OK. This is the biggest frustration. e: Some testing reveals that it uses the same key/button as Edit. Which is exactly what I don't want.

* Display all flags etc. in the info window when you mouse-over a thing, linedef etc. Or some way to see flags at a glance without editing an object/selection.

* Resize lines while preserving their angle. This can kind of be done by pressing E and using the Edit Selection dialog, which is kind of tedious but OK.

I've tried Eureka and it's OK but definitely more primitive than DB, and I can't run the new version of SLADE that has a map editor for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post

It drives me crazy that you can't copy-paste a set of sectors and flip it any direction. I mean you can, but you have to drag the shape over and eye out the size because it won't tell you the length of the lines.

And yes I agree with your points as well.

Share this post


Link to post

Do you mean just straight top-to-bottom or left-to-right flipping? Whenever I paste something it takes me into edit mode where I get some "Flip Selection Horizontally/Vertically" icons that do just that. Perhaps I misunderstand though.

Share this post


Link to post

plums said:
* Disable RMB = draw, entirely. Have it always edit selections, or just do nothing if clicked not on a selection, either would be OK. This is the biggest frustration. e: Some testing reveals that it uses the same key/button as Edit. Which is exactly what I don't want.

* Display all flags etc. in the info window when you mouse-over a thing, linedef etc. Or some way to see flags at a glance without editing an object/selection.

Well, I can't add these to DB2... so I've added them to GZDB instead :)

plums said:* Resize lines while preserving their angle. This can kind of be done by pressing E and using the Edit Selection dialog, which is kind of tedious but OK.

I think I'll try to add photoshop-style scaling to Edit Selection command someday.

Share this post


Link to post
MaxED said:

Well, I can't add these to DB2... so I've added them to GZDB instead :)

I think I'll try to add photoshop-style scaling to Edit Selection command someday.


Oh wow, excellent! I haven't been using GZDB because I mainly stick to Boom compatible maps, but this is enough to get me to switch over.

While you're taking unsolicited requests, apparently: is there a way to make a box selection no matter where the cursor is? And if not, could there be, like by holding shift or something? In DB to do a rect-select you need to not be near enough to an object to highlight it, otherwise you'll just select that object.

Share this post


Link to post

For that I just zoom in a lot, press mouse button to start highlight, then zoom out with mousewheel while still holding mouse button.

Share this post


Link to post

Well yeah, it's something I can work around. Would be nice to not have to.

Oh, or a lasso select! Now that would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post

plums said:While you're taking unsolicited requests, apparently: is there a way to make a box selection no matter where the cursor is? And if not, could there be, like by holding shift or something? In DB to do a rect-select you need to not be near enough to an object to highlight it, otherwise you'll just select that object.

Rectangular selection already works this way in GZDB. As an example, you can start it in Sectors mode while mouse is on top of a sector

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0