Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
odysseyofnoises

Trying to make my wad vanilla compatible

So I tried to run my wadfile in chocolate doom today, since I know that port is completely vanilla compatible. It isn't launching and is giving me an error related to the sprites. It says "no patches found for CYBR frame G, and then if I try to add the default cyberdemon frame G it gives me some other error like "invalid sprite frame #:#". Can anyone look at the wad, tell me what I'm missing, and tell me everything I need to do to make sure my wad is vanilla compatible (without sacrificing content). I have custom sprites but I think they are replacing other sprites so it shouldn't be a problem. Not sure about the custom Afrit though, I got that from scythe2.wad, and I don't know if that is a vanilla wad...

Here's a link to the wad: http://speedy.sh/9Zxs7/resonance.zip

Using the -merge command line option might help, though you have defined a bunch of KEEN sprites which don't exist in vanilla. They might work if the Dehacked patch is extracted and loaded using the -deh option.

I'll give the wad a test run shortly.

It's possible the new sprites are offset to a particularly weird position: you can alter the offsets in SLADE3. Not sure if the Afrit is vanilla compatible, Scythe 2 appears to be for limit-removing ports. I could probably monkey with it in WhackEd if that's the case though. :)

Obsidian said:

I could probably monkey with it in WhackEd if that's the case though. :)

If you could make the Afrit vanilla compatible, that would be much appreciated. I can try to change the cyber's offset

odysseyofnoises said:

Also with the new cyberdemon sprites, why is the rocket shooting from the bottom, and not the actual rocket launcher? It looks bad, how do I fix that?

That's a vanilla engine limitation, I think the standard cyber's rockets emerge from around where his navel used to be. Lowering the sprites so rockets emerge at about launcher height is probably the best you can do.

Good. I fixed the first issue. lowered the cyberdemon's sprites so now they show correctly. Link in the first post has been updated. Now we can get to work on making it work in vanilla (if it's even possible). Make sure to get the latest version if you modify it.

I noticed that the DeHackEd patch was written in Boom format, which obviously means it won't work properly in vanilla. Could you put up a list of all the new monsters and their effects so I can vanillize them?

"Vanillize"? Hey, new word.

Obsidian said:

I noticed that the DeHackEd patch was written in Boom format, which obviously means it won't work properly in vanilla. Could you put up a list of all the new monsters and their effects so I can vanillize them?

"Vanillize"? Hey, new word.

Green cacodemon - has 1000 health and moves faster (see dehacked for actual speed, I don't remember)
Red cacodemon looks fainter - not even sure how I did that... just look in dehacked lol
Cyberdemon - changed sprites, lowered them, and made the frames where it shoots lit, and 4500 health
Afrit - copied from scythe2.wad
green lost soul - just changed the sprites, no deh work

When I copied the Afrit, I must have copied too much info because the SS nazis also changed to plasma firing marines, that's a change I want UNdone.

uhhh I think that's all of them, you can see in my dehacked file what the properties are also like mass and speed

There were also other things I had in my dehacked, like custom key messages and map titles

also I forgot to mention that the green cacodemon replaces the short green pillar, though the sprites have the same names as the default red cacodemon. I'm not sure why the two cacodemons don't conflict.