MAPINFO... for the love of...

This must have been asked a million times, but I can't let that stop me. Couldn't find it while searching forums, so here goes:

This MAPINFO thing... 1) Where is it, and 2) what do I use to edit it?

1.., I know it is a lump, but its not listed in Doom2's directory as a .lmp file, so my first guess is that it is integrated into doom2.wad somewhere. Correct?

2... can I just use a text editor to change the largely numeric values I need to change, following some export/import procedure? If not... then what? SLADE3? (some experience) XML? (no experience)

Share this post


Link to post
Soundblock said:

1.., I know it is a lump, but its not listed in Doom2's directory as a .lmp file, so my first guess is that it is integrated into doom2.wad somewhere. Correct?

Not correct. It is part of the ZDoom family of ports.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Special_lumps

Soundblock said:

2... can I just use a text editor to change the largely numeric values I need to change, following some export/import procedure? If not... then what? SLADE3? (some experience) XML? (no experience)

It's just a regular text lump. Slade3 has an integrated text editor.

Open Slade3 and look at a pwad such as KDiZD.

Share this post


Link to post

There should be a tag like the [/newproject] tag, that works the same way, but instead of typing in the person's name, you type in the subject they're asking about and it tells them to go to the wiki and search for it there.

In this case, for example, you would respond to Soundblock's post by simply typing, “[wiki]MAPINFO[/wiki]" and the result would be something like this:

All the information you need can be found in the Zdoom Wiki. Just click on the link, then type “MAPINFO" into the search bar, and read up. If you still have questions, I'd be happy to help.

Share this post


Link to post

Newbie: LF Needle!
Forum: Here's a Haystack!

Seriously, the ZDoom Wiki MAPINFO page is awesome. I had read that prior to posting, but its better getting your info straight from the horse's mouth.

Not that I'm calling you horses or anything...

I'll look into these new pointers, cheers.

EDIT: the sky's the limit!

Share this post


Link to post
Soundblock said:

Not that I'm calling you horses or anything...

Not even the members with pony avatars?

There's also several MAPINFO dialects - for Hexen, ZDoom (old), ZDoom (new), Doomsday and Eternity Engine. If you're mapping for ZDoom, the lump can be named ZMAPINFO in order to distinguish it from the other dialects.

Share this post


Link to post
GreyGhost said:

Not even the members with pony avatars?

There's also several MAPINFO dialects - for Hexen, ZDoom (old), ZDoom (new), Doomsday and Eternity Engine. If you're mapping for ZDoom, the lump can be named ZMAPINFO in order to distinguish it from the other dialects.

Eternity's "dialect" is not allowed to be named MAPINFO, to prevent worsening the already terrible situation created by ZDoom allowing multiple different languages inside what was previously just a Hexen lump.

A global "LevelInfo" lump in Eternity *must* be named EMAPINFO. I'm still trying to get MAPINFO support in. Naturally the mess created by ZDoom maps makes that more difficult than it should be, as I'd like to not just completely puke when something unexpected shows up in a MAPINFO lump.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, on that subject, Doomsday's 'Map Info' definitions don't need to go in a lump or file with 'MAPINFO' in the title.

The fabric of the universe is torn asunder, or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

Eternity's "dialect" is not allowed to be named MAPINFO, to prevent worsening the already terrible situation created by ZDoom allowing multiple different languages inside what was previously just a Hexen lump.


If it helps, it doesn't tolerate multiple different languages all at once in the same file.

Share this post


Link to post

Eternity's "dialect" is also an oddball in a world of libConfuse/EDF syntax. It almost looks like the Windows INI format.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now