Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zed

Door over door

Hi there fellow doomers.

Lately I've been experimenting with 3D floors and 3D slopes, but there's something I just can't get right: doors. I mean, like having a door in the first level, and another one on the second level (maybe, but not necessarily, above the first one). I'm currently stuck with this to the point that I don't even know where to start. The only relevant thing I found is this thread in the ZDoom forums, but there are two problems: I really haven't looked into polyobjects, so I didn't fully understand the thread, and I wanted to know if it's possible to make it with "regular" doors.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to add that I'm using GZDoom Builder - GZDoom: Doom (UDMF).
EDIT2: Oh, and as always, if there's another way (I mean, another editor/source port/format), please let me know as well.

Kappes Buur said:

Thanks man, but I don't get it. I don't want to sound rude, but you're linking to the same thread I did (maybe something relevant in the image? I don't see the doors present in the wad.).

Now, I've seen this tutorial from Doom HQ (?), and I'm beginning to understand how polyobjects work (and I've found this to be extremely helpful), but I still have some trouble with it.

EDIT:

Kappes Buur said:

[deleted]
I just noticed that you already linked to that post on the ZDoom forum.

Heh, don't worry, probably someone else can explain it better.

Zed said:

having a door in the first level, and another one on the second level (maybe, but not necessarily, above the first one).

Don't do this. It's an unnecessary design over-engineering. Yes, you can use two different 3D floors above each other as the doors. You can make an ACS script to activate when the doors are pressed. You can make the script to check for player's Z position, to decide which of the doors was pressed. You can move the respective 3D floor up, wait a little, and then move it down, and make it play a door sound. But wouldn't it be much easier to just put two normal doors next to each other, and reconcile with the fact that you cannot have a walkable space above a door? I think it would.