Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Freeing up sound effects

How many tricks can be made to free up sound effect lumps with dehacked to be replaced by something else without interfering with doom too much?

Usually SS Nazi sounds and commander keen sounds are available if you don't intend to use them in your wad.

Off the top of my head, you may be able to use dehacked to change the arachnatrons active sound to dsdmact without too many people noticing. You could probably replace the lump DSRADIO with a duplicate sound of a monster, like the imp active sound for example, then use dehacked to change the imps active sound to dstink, freeing up dsbgact for whatever you want.

I wonder maybe stringing all the individual super shotgun reload clicks into one lump would work, freeing two sounds. Same with the mancubus attack sound, or cyberdemon hoof sound.

What else is available to use?

40oz said:

You could probably replace the lump DSRADIO with a duplicate sound of a monster, like the imp active sound for example, then use dehacked to change the imps active sound to dstink, freeing up dsbgact for whatever you want.

Why do you even mention DSBGACT? Just replace DSRADIO and DSTINK.

Same with the mancubus attack sound,

I don't think so - his attack sound is one sound anyway, isn't it?

or cyberdemon hoof sound.

Also no. Cyberdemon uses Hoof + Metal, but Spiderdemon uses Metal. If you want to distinguish between their stomping sounds, you need to keep both sounds.

I wonder maybe stringing all the individual super shotgun reload clicks into one lump would work, freeing two sounds.

I did this, and it works great. 2 sounds saved.

What else is available to use?

DSSGCOCK (apparently an unused sound)
DSFLAMST (archvile fire sound that is never played in the game)
DSVILATK (barely noticeable archvile attack sound)
DSITMBK (multiplayer item respawn sound)
DSBOS*** (unless you want to keep IOS)
DSSWTCHX (the alternate switch sound, only plays in menu or maybe upon level exit)

DSSGCOCK is played when acknowledging player's keypress in the intermission screen.

Don't forget about DSSKLDTH, which is an unused duplicate of DSOOF and DSNOWAY.

if you don't use the chainsaw you've got a bunch of free sounds. If you're doing a lot of weapon/enemy replacements you can find a lot of stuff just through what you're replacing. for instance with oitns i've replaced the BFG, which means I could add a pistol reloading animation that calls the bfg sound codepointer, and replace the bfg sound with the reloading sound.

Recently been messing abround with SFX in Dehacked, and this thread would have been very useful had I stumbled across it sooner.

I found that DSCHGUN is a non existant sound that can be added and used. (At least in PrBoom+)

The Hell Knight uses the same SFX as the Baron, apart from DSKNTDTH and DSKNTSIT which can be freed up by having the Hell Knight use the Baron equivalents.