Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
UglyStru

Importing Custom Textures With Slade To Use With GZDoom Builder

Example, I get nb5texd2.wad textures to use with my WAD. I want to use those when creating my map in Doom Builder. However, I've seen two different ways people do this and I'm not quite sure what both outcomes would be, what the common practice is, and what option is most safe yet versatile.

Option #1 (which I have tried and led to a corrupt WAD file): I created a PP_START, PP_END, FF_START, and F_END in Slade in my WAD with my maps and such. I took the nb5texd2 textures and copypastad them into my WAD in the respective namespaces. I read this in a Doom Builder PDF, but it did not explain the pros and cons to doing so.

Option #2 (which I have NOT tried because I'm scared to, but I saw it in a YouTube tutorial): I open nb5texd2.wad in Slade, pick and choose what textures I want and create a new WAD that ONLY consists of the PP and FF files and the textures. I save it as NEWTEXTURES.WAD. Then in Doom Builder, I would add NEWTEXTURES.WAD to the resources when editing a map so that way Doom Builder knows where to take textures from.

My main question here is that when exporting your map WAD in Doom Builder and getting ready to play it, will the new textures now be bundled with your WAD anyway? Or will the user have to import both the map WAD and the NEWTEXTURES.WAD in with their source port in order for it to function properly? I just really want to start importing better textures, sprites, etc. in the map I'm working on than using the standard Doom2 textures.

Thank you in advance.

Option #1 normally works fine, so long as you don't accidentally paste stuff in amongst the map lumps. Option #2 will also work, though you might find it more convenient to start with more textures than you need while editing and strip out the excess after the map's done.

To answer your question - if you're using an external resource wad (such as NEWTEXTURES.WAD) it will remain separate from your map wad, unless you use GZDoom Builder's "Save Map Into..." option to add the map to your resource wad, which can then be removed from the resource list and renamed as your new map wad.

Okay, I'm attempting Option #1 and now GZDB does not recognize anything in between the PP_START and PP_END namespace. It's only reading the flats from FF_START to F_END. See here

Here is what I did.

This is my WAD. I have the textures I chose from nb5texd2.wad in the appropriate namespaces as well as a blank TextureX and PNAMES imported from the texture pack. I removed everything in TextureX and all of the custom things in PNAMES that weren't part of Doom2.wad (so all custom shit) so I could add them after. I then highlighted everything between PP_START and PP_END, right-clicked and added them to TextureX and Patch Table respectively. I then did the same exact thing with the flats.

Now, even though I added them all to textureX, the TextureX file is still blank. Even if I add each piece manually from the patch, GZDB still doesn't recognize it and is STILL only reading flats.

Also, my patch table seems to recognize the textures, but NOT the flats. The flats show up "NOT FOUND".

What the fuck is going on here? This program needs a manual or something because operating it seems to be the most difficult thing I've ever done. Everytime I try something, it doesn't work and there is NO help and I find myself having to come back here daily.

Everything worked if I took EVERYTHING from nb5texd2.wad and put it in my WAD WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING. However, this becomes a problem when I want to add textures from a different WAD into my WAD. For example, say AV.WAD had some walls I liked and I wanted to use those. How would I get those into my TEXTUREX and PNAMES and whatever so GZDB actually recognizes it and so I won't have the problem with only nb5's stuff showing up?

stru said:

Okay, I'm attempting Option #1 and now GZDB does not recognize anything in between the PP_START and PP_END namespace.

It's read the texture lump in take3.wad and found nothing there.

I then highlighted everything between PP_START and PP_END, right-clicked and added them to TextureX and Patch Table respectively. I then did the same exact thing with the flats.

Adding patches to TEXTUREx will automatically add them to the patch list. There's no need to add flats, unless it's for a port that doesn't allow you to use flats as textures.

Now, even though I added them all to textureX, the TextureX file is still blank. Even if I add each piece manually from the patch, GZDB still doesn't recognize it and is STILL only reading flats.

That I can't explain.

What the fuck is going on here? This program needs a manual or something because operating it seems to be the most difficult thing I've ever done. Everytime I try something, it doesn't work and there is NO help and I find myself having to come back here daily.

I suppose what's needed is more people contributing to Slade's Wiki

Try this -

• Delete the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps in take3.wad so you're starting from scratch
  • Highlight all the patches (and only the patches) and select Add to TEXTUREx
  • A "No Texture Definitions Found" requestor should pop up, click on Yes
  • A "Create Texture Definitions" requestor should appear, select Import from Base Resource Archive: (which you've already set to doom2.wad) and click OK
  • Open the Texture Editor and check that the custom textures appear after the standard IWAD textures, should also be the case in the Patch List
  • Save wad and see if GZDoom Builder accepts it
When creating a texture lump it's usually a good move to import the base resource, for compatibility with source ports that don't merge texture lists.

Everything worked if I took EVERYTHING from nb5texd2.wad and put it in my WAD WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING.

That's because nb5texd2.wad has everything setup properly in its TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps, including the IWAD texture definitions. Once your texture lump is sorted out you'll be able to add content from other wads to it.

Thanks GreyGhost, everything works great now. I must've just gotten confused with all of the different tutorials I watched.