Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
illuknisaa

couple of random questions

1. When I make a new monster using inheritance and then load up a mod that changes/replaces the vanilla monster, why don't the monster I created inherit any of the new characteristics?
eg. I made a shotgunner that drops a keycard when it dies but when I test shotgunner with brutal doom it doesn't use any of the new sprites or ai.

2. I have a set of patrol nodes linked up and make a monster patrol and say it should not stop patrolling even if it sees enemies (dontchasetarget). Does this dontchasetarget apply for all the time or just when the monster walks to the first patrol node? What if there are other monsters that use same nodes but do chase their targets?

3.How do 3d floors and "actor hits floor/ceiling" -things interact?
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:SecActHitFloor

4. Is there a way to make a crusher that only moves X amount? I have 3d floor elevators that bug out when an actor walks underneath so I thought crushers might be a fun way to fix this.

5. I want to make the player start a map falling down. Is there a way to make this happen without making testing annoying. I had an idea that when map opens it teleports player to mapspot but I think this also affect when the map from some other location.

6. In Putrefier you have these cool spinny fans. How are they done?
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/ma_put.zip

thx.

illuknisaa said:

1. When I make a new monster using inheritance and then load up a mod that changes/replaces the vanilla monster, why don't the monster I created inherit any of the new characteristics?
eg. I made a shotgunner that drops a keycard when it dies but when I test shotgunner with brutal doom it doesn't use any of the new sprites or ai.

Inherit from Brutal Doom's shotgunner as opposed to the original one.

The key thing you need to understand is that the "replaces" keyword literally serves only to replace the thing type within maps. It doesn't replace the original actor's definition that's being inherited from. So, when you make a custom monster inheriting from shotgunguy (via "actor MyShotgunguy : Shotgunguy"), and Brutal Doom's shotgunguy replaces the original shotgunguy (via "replaces Shotgunguy"), your custom monster will still inherit from the default shotgunguy and not Brutal Doom's one.

illuknisaa said:

6. In Putrefier you have these cool spinny fans. How are they done?
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/ma_put.zip

Why don't you examine the map in a mapping editor yourself? I haven't looked at it, but my guess is scripted and continuous instant lowering/raising of sector's ceilings. Or polyobjects, since it's for GZDoom.

scifista42 said:

Why don't you examine the map in a mapping editor yourself? I haven't looked at it, but my guess is scripted and continuous instant lowering/raising of sector's ceilings. Or polyobjects, since it's for GZDoom.

I did before I asked the question but all I saw was 3d floors and changing light values. floors and light values don't make things spin.

The ceiling fans are done by creating a blade pattern with incremental tags following the direction of the fan rotation. The geometry looks like a pie with 20 slices in it. The animation is done by having a 3d control sector for each sector tag / slice and then a rotating script that changes the floor texture and light levels of the control sectors. Those are done by a second incremental tag range that is assigned to the 3d dummy sectors. There are easier ways to do it, but that's the way I did it to have an actual 3d plane instead of it being bolted to the ceiling or a rotating mid-texture.