Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

Locking difficulties

So I'm wondering if it would be possible to lock difficulty levels.

I'm considering having two endings for my wad (which I should be able to do) a "good" (slightly better) version for ending on UV, and a "bad" (but funny and leads straight into UV) ending for HMP and HNTR.

Also, UV is meant for people already farmiliar with the maps, so is VERY tough, but never impossible.

One more question, is it possible to force the difficulty, so the player never chooses. If so, I could force start HNTR, end and lead straight into HMP, etc.

*Edit*
I should clarify my first question was just about locking only UV, and letting the player choose among the other 3.

My apologies to the mods, I didn't realize this was in the wrong section. Thank you for moving it :)

Locking difficulty levels in the literal meaning that they will be unselectable in the menu until something, that's probably impossible (maybe via MENUDEF it is possible, but I'm not familiar with it). Anyway, The Refinery by Tormentor667 does a similar thing. Actually, the wad doesn't let you select a difficulty level at all, but thing placement varies on different skill modes and the map lets you play them one after another. It's probably achieved via MAPINFO or custom menu or just ACS, you can open the wad in SLADE3 and find out yourself.

Awesome thank you bro! I'm not sure if people will want to play through 32 levels 3 times, though every level will be different (some significantly) on each difficulty level. But I would be fine doing it like that. I will have to download that wad and learn what I can.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the author is still active in the Doom community? If so, I'd like to ask him some noob questions after I take a look at his work.

Thanks again y'all :)

Ok thanks man, I guess you can close this thread now so I'll stop posting here, lol. Thanks again for your help.

One could have an XG Line (Doomsday), probably an ACS Script (ZDoom) etc etc, on the 'final map' that warps the player to one of several dummy maps based on skill level?

Then have a different, un-skippable, text screen/animation set to display before the start of each of those dummy maps.

Interesting, I had considered doing something like that, using a trigger that would end the level after a certain time passes after the IoS's death. This could lead to multiple endings if I put in a second trigger to (possibly) transport someone to a dummy map like you had said. Although I might have to do 2 different dummy maps to make it work/give the bad ending.

I haven't experimented with more maps than 32 yet, I assume you just use a line of ACS script to transport people to specific levels. Is that correct?