Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

I'll ask all my problems Here

The Doommer said:

So why when i open Doom64_abstin.wad via SLADE in ubuntu , i see the graphics correctly ?

Because those graphics are in PNG format, and PNGs are either truecolor or carry their own palette in them, so they don't need any external base palette. On the contrary, "Doom format" graphics depend on an external base palette to be applied onto them to display as they're supposed to.

scifista42 said:

Because those graphics are in PNG format, and PNGs are either truecolor or carry their own palette in them, so they don't need any external base palette. On the contrary, "Doom format" graphics depend on an external base palette to be applied onto them to display as they're supposed to.

So , what is the solution ?

How can i have both Doom64 & Doom Graphics with correct displays...

Doom64's PNG graphics will always display correctly, and to make Doom graphics display correctly too, set your "Base Resource" to Doom2.wad and/or set "Palette" to Doom.

Spoiler

No, the player won't do anything at all, although the monster would still attack him upon seeing him.

scifista42 said:

No, the player won't do anything at all, although the monster would still attack him upon seeing him.

Can't use a scripted marine instead of the Player ?

scifista42 said:

Give TIDs to particular actors you want to move

How to give TID to them while in editor ?

Or i need to give the TID in their DECORATE code ?

The Doommer said:

Can't use a scripted marine instead of the Player ?

You can use a scripted marine to fight monsters on its own by using the abovementioned action special Thing_Hate. You still have to put a Player 1 start somewhere in your map, though. Feel free to change camera view via ChangeCamera.

The Doommer said:

How to give TID to them while in editor ?

Or i need to give the TID in their DECORATE code ?

In the map editor. TID is a thing's Tag and you can set it in the thing's Properties. You can only set them if your map is in Hexen or UDMF format.

Will i need to put A_SetGoal for inventory Pickups ?

Just for making sure...

Also , i want the player to escape from an actor.
What is the function name for that ?

The Doommer said:

Will i need to put A_SetGoal for inventory Pickups ?

You are supposed to use Thing_SetGoal only with patrol points for destinations, I'm not sure what would happen if you set another type of thing for a destination.

The Doommer said:

Also , i want the player to escape from an actor.
What is the function name for that ?

Do you mean to make the scripted marine walk away from a specific thing/monster? Either give him "FRIGHTENED" flag in the editor or via SetActorProperty and make him Thing_Hate the monster, or just lead him away via a predefined path of patrol points and Thing_SetGoal.

scifista42 said:

YDo you mean to make the scripted marine walk away from a specific thing/monster?

The player itslef...

Because the monster has NODAMAGE flag...

Also , i want to get player's health and compare it to a number in A_JumpIf for some health codes...

What should i do ?

Creating an ACS function and calling it from DECORATE is the right job ?
If so , how to call ACS functions (not scripts) in DECORATE ?

scifista42 said:

Either give him "FRIGHTENED" flag in the editor or via SetActorProperty and make him Thing_Hate the monster, or just lead him away via a predefined path of patrol points and Thing_SetGoal.

Don't want the monster to escape form the player , i want the player to escape from the monster !

The Doommer said:

The player itslef...

No. The player itself has no DECORATE AI, it's meant to accept direct input from keyboard/mouse/anything, but in the TITLEMAP, he just doesn't, and so he just stays inactive wherever he is. You can apply functions on him such as motion thrust or change angle or deal damage or check inventory, but not assign walking AI.

The Doommer said:

Also , i want to get player's health and compare it to a number in A_JumpIf for some health codes...

What should i do ?

Use A_JumpIfInTargetInventory if the monster who calls this function targets the player. Alternatively script it via ACS.

how to call ACS functions (not scripts) in DECORATE ?

A limited selection of ACS functions known as Action_specials can be used in DECORATE just like DECORATE functions are. Other ACS functions cannot be used in DECORATE. You can, however, write a script that calls an ACS function and return its value to DECORATE via SetResultValue.

The Doommer said:

Don't want the monster to escape form the player , i want the player to escape from the monster !

That's what I meant too. Either give the scripted marine "FRIGHTENED" flag in the editor or via SetActorProperty and make the scripted marine Thing_Hate the monster to run from, or just lead the scripted marine away from the monster via a predefined path of patrol points and Thing_SetGoal.

scifista42 said:

No. The player itself has no DECORATE AI, it's meant to accept direct input from keyboard/mouse/anything, but in the TITLEMAP, he just doesn't, and so he just stays inactive wherever he is. You can apply functions on him such as motion thrust or change angle or deal damage or check inventory, but not assign walking AI.

But won't it be so unusual that a player is standing there without any action and a scripted marine is fighting with them ? or the player is not visible and acting like a camera ?

scifista42 said:

Use A_JumpIfInTargetInventory if the monster who calls this function targets the player. Alternatively script it via ACS.

I want if player health was under 5 , after he goes near to a flat corpse , the corpse act like a health and give him for example 5 health points (like Wolfenstein giblet & blood)

scifista42 said:

A limited selection of ACS functions known as Action_specials can be used in DECORATE just like DECORATE functions are. Other ACS functions cannot be used in DECORATE. You can, however, write a script that calls an ACS function and return its value to DECORATE via SetResultValue.

Can't i define a function myself in ACS ?

scifista42 said:

That's what I meant too. Either give the scripted marine "FRIGHTENED" flag in the editor or via SetActorProperty and make the scripted marine Thing_Hate the monster to run from, or just lead the scripted marine away from the monster via a predefined path of patrol points and Thing_SetGoal.

the FRIGHTENED flag will make him escape from all the monsters or just one monster ?

Some questions by the way...

1.Will the game show those Doom64 sprites correctly even if they don't display correctly in slade ?

2.Where can i get to Wolfenstein RPG , Doom RPG & Doom II RPG sprites ?
No TC ? No Resource ?

3. If i add some new LOCKDEFS , Keys and HUD icons to my pk3 , will the status bar add them ?

4. Will status bar automaticly add my ammunition types ?

If not , what should i do for 3 & 4 ? (I know the SBARINFO lump , but how to add the keys , ammo , HUD icons , etc)

If not , what should i do for 1 ?

Enough.

I wrote a reply answering half of your latest questions, but I deleted it, because now I'm under an impression that such an apparently completely helpless person like you would NEVER accomplish making decent wads or mods due to your inability to educate yourself or solve problems without communicating with another person who tells you the solution, because that's the only thing that you seem you can do. Also, I don't think I've ever seen an actual wad made by you (let alone one to be impressed by and worthy all the countless words of advice given to you), and this fact only supports my abovementioned assumption - and makes me feel like trying to help you is fruitless. (and of course tiresome, too)

Here is my ultimate advice for you: Stop wanting to implement all of your cool ideas before getting enough practice with basics and understanding of concepts and also practice in enhancing your knowledge by studying on your own - because if you do the latter, you will naturally become capable of implementing your cool ideas well and on your own too. Otherwise, even if you do succeed to implement your ideas, I don't believe the results would be worth checking out. Quickstarts to awesomeness don't work. You should build up your skill from the ground up. If you get a cool idea but you find yourself unable to implement it, perhaps let it be, pick a similar but more simple idea, implement that one, then start finding ways how to improve it, and learn new things all along the way. Feel free to start simple, with things that you already understand, possibly those described among the first ACS or DECORATE related wiki pages or tutorials. Practice on your own, follow your own pace, and gradually grow your knowledge and skill when it comes to ZDoom modding, for which you have the ZDoom wiki and existing threads on Doomworld and ZDoom forums to browse and study. That's how you may become good or accomplish making something great. Not by jumping straight to advanced things that you have trouble comprehending and constantly need help, not at all. Please, understand. Please.

Let me just say something...

First , i searched for many of the questions i asked , but i didn't find a plcae to get those sprites or the Doom 64 sprite problems...

And :

You're right , maybe i'm just asking and asking but wait...

What is the problem for asking ?

I can ask my questions in forums and get good answers from experienced people who done these jobs many years ago.

Or i just search and search and get no answer most of the times !

I admit , you guys cannot waste your times to answer my questions,
but as i said before , i am a beginner !

I learned many of the jobs form looking to other wads...
Like LOCKDEFS , Powerups , $Category , $Title , $Sprite , etc

Here is my final word :

I tried to learn , but by both asking and looking at wads.

scifista42 said:

I'm under an impression that such an apparently completely helpless person like you would NEVER accomplish making decent wads or mods

We will see that will the wad release or not...

The Doommer said:

What is the problem for asking ?

You must have missed the point of the last and longest paragraph of my post. The point was that you aren't becoming a capable modder by focusing on implementing only isolated advanced ideas and disregarding everything else. You become a capable modder by gradually learning and practising everything from the basics up to the level of problems you're interested in. And I came to a conclusion that answering hundreds of modding question of a person who isn't really directed towards becoming a capable modder is pointless at its best.

scifista42 said:

You must have missed the point of the last and longest paragraph of my post. The point was that you aren't becoming a capable modder by focusing on implementing only isolated advanced ideas and disregarding everything else. You become a capable modder by gradually learning and practising everything from the basics up to the level of problems you're interested in. And I came to a conclusion that answering hundreds of modding question of a person who isn't really directed towards becoming a capable modder is pointless at its best.

Let me make sure...

You're saying that i should start from the basics and then get to advanced things ?

allright , i keep the pk3 but i will start to work on basic wads and after i got the complex mapping technique and the other ones i will return to the job i was doing now...

Thanks for the tip...

"Quicker" in comparison to what? What does "easier" mean? What map format (respectively "Game Configuration" in your editor) are you mapping in?

WilliamPlaysDooM said:

How do i make a door quicker and easier?

Quicker ?
Easier ?

There is only 1 way (at least 1 standard way) in each of the UDMF & Hexen or other formats to make a door.

Are you using SLADE or Doom Builder or GZDoom Builder ?

Give more info please...

I did what i said and created a simple wad , i added all the wolf textures but
I just added one of the old DECORATE actors i created (Wolfenstein Guard)

But...

After i put the guard in my map and tested the map , i saw that the guard's sprite is underground (i had to shoot below to kill it) and when dying , the sprite disappears and just the DropItem comes in the ground.
Height was 56 and Speed was 8 and after increasing the height it was very faster !

What just happened ?
I used the sprite used in Wolfenstein 3D...

I put the code of the actors bellow :

Actor WolfensteinGuard 30000
{
	//$Category "Monsters"
	//$Title "Wolfenstein Guard"
	+SHOOTABLE
	+SOLID
	+FLOORCLIP
	Obituary "%o was killed by a guard."
	SeeSound "Guard/See"
	AttackSound "Nazi/Shoot"
	DeathSound "Guard/Death"
	Monster
	BloodColor "Red"
	DropItem "Clip"
	Health 25
	Speed  8
	Height 56
	States
	{
		Spawn : 
			GURD A 1 A_Look
			Loop
		Spawn.PatrolNoClip:
			GURD A 0 A_JumpIf(angle % 90 == 0, "TurnAround")
			GURD A 6 A_Warp(AAPTR_DEFAULT, 45, 0, 0, 0, WARPF_STOP | WARPF_INTERPOLATE, "Spawn.Patrol")
			GURD A 6 A_Warp(AAPTR_DEFAULT, 90, 0, 0, 0, WARPF_STOP | WARPF_INTERPOLATE, "Spawn.Patrol")
		TurnAround:
			GURD AB 5
			GURD CCC 1 ThrustThing (angle * 256 / 360, 1, 0, 0)
			GURD A 0 A_JumpIf((velx != 0) || (vely != 0), "Spawn.Patrol")
			GURD DA 5
			GURD BBB 1 ThrustThing (angle * 256 / 360, 1, 0, 0)
			GURD A 0 A_JumpIf((velx != 0) || (vely != 0), "Spawn.Patrol")
			GURD A 0 A_SetAngle(angle + 180)
		Spawn.Patrol:
			GURD AAA 1 ThrustThing (angle * 256 / 360, 1, 0, 0)
			GURD AAA 1 A_LookEx (0, 0, 0, 2048, 0, "See")
			GURD BBBBBB 1 A_LookEx (0, 0, 0, 2048, 0, "See")
			GURD CCC 1 ThrustThing (angle * 256 / 360, 1, 0, 0)
			GURD CCC 1 A_LookEx (0, 0, 0, 2048, 0, "See")
			GURD DDDDDD 1 A_LookEx (0, 0, 0, 2048, 0, "See")
			GURD A 0 A_JumpIf((velx == 0) && (vely == 0), "Spawn.PatrolNoClip")
			Loop
		See :
			GURD BC 1 A_Chase
			Loop
		Missile:
			GURD F 1 A_FaceTarget
			GURD GH 1 A_CustomBulletAttack (22.5, 0, 1, random(1,5) * 3, "BulletPuff", 0, CBAF_NORANDOM)
			Goto See
		Pain :
			GURD I 1 A_Pain
			Goto See
		Death :
			GURD J 1 A_Scream
			GURD K 1 A_NoBlocking
			GURD M 1 A_Fall
			GURD N 1 A_Die
			Stop
		Raise:
			GURD NMKJ 5
			Goto See
	}

}

Actor PatrolingWolfensteinGuard : WolfensteinGuard 30001
{
	//$Category "Monsters"
	//$Title "Partoling Wolfenstein Guard"

States
	{
		Spawn :
			Goto Super::Spawn.Patrol
	}
}

The Doommer said:

I did what i said and created a simple wad , i added all the wolf textures but
I just added one of the old DECORATE actors i created (Wolfenstein Guard)

I'm not entirely sure why your monster is appearing in the ground, but I will tell you that you don't need the "+SHOOTABLE" or "+SOLID" flags, because the MONSTER flag automatically sets those flags for the actor. Are you sure it isn't related to your map? Have you accidentally changed the Z-height of the monster somehow? I believe it could also be to do with the alignment of your sprites in Slade.

I am fairly amazed at how helpful people have been in here, it really is a credit to this community, but honestly I have to agree with scifista on this. You really do need to spend a lot of time trying to fix your own problems when it comes to working with Doom, because that is how you come to understand how the various editing programs work.

You started out saying you wanted to make a map, then you quickly moved onto wanting to learn more advanced features like scripting and DECORATE. Perhaps you would be better off trying to accomplish the basics of one program before moving onto another?

The Zdoom Wiki will help you out a lot for most things and try asking questions only when you have tried everything you can to fix them. Sorry if that is the case with this particular issue, it's just that your post history seems to indicate that you could take a bit more time to go over the wiki and other people's work to try and fix your problems.

scifista42 said:

"Quicker" in comparison to what? What does "easier" mean? What map format (respectively "Game Configuration" in your editor) are you mapping in?

I mean to help me take less time to make a working door, and make it less complicated. I am mapping in "ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format)".