Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
riki2321

Hi! I need help on making a timer

I need help on making a timer

10 minutes

player explodes at end (if not, just make him die)

Not using hexen.

I copied doom2.wad and i'm making my second level, Map02
I need to know how to script

gzDOOM user
DOOM 2 game configuration

(I'm new!)

1. Do not copy Doom2.wad for the purpose of editing it. Edited IWADs are illegal to distribute. If you want to make wads and share them, make them from scratch.

2. ACS scripting is not possible (or at least not easy to do) in classic Doom map format. It's for Hexen format or UDMF.

3. If you are already determined to make your wad compatible only with ZDoom based ports, I recommend you to choose UDMF format, it's maximum flexible. If you want compatibility with classic ports, though, use classic Doom format and forget about scripting.

4. In classic Doom format, you can put a voodoo-doll (another Player1 start besides the real one) under a crusher in a dummy sector outside the map, set the crusher's ceiling very very high, and activate the crusher by making the player cross a walkover linedef with crusher action. The crushing ceiling will eventually crush the voodoo-doll, which will kill the player if he doesn't have invulnerability.

If you are using GZDoom, then that would be ACS.

Otherwise for Boom, you can have a voodoo doll (will effectively only operate well in single player only) on a really long scroller, which when it reaches the end after 10 minutes it triggers a crushing ceiling next to a bunch of barrels which explode.

scifista42 said:

1. Do not copy Doom2.wad for the purpose of editing it. Edited IWADs are illegal to distribute. If you want to make wads and share them, make them from scratch.

How to make one from scratch?

How i see terry wads are copy from brutal doom?

riki2321 said:

How to make one from scratch?

You simply open your mapping editor, choose "New Map", select map format and map slot, select your IWAD as a resource, confirm to start the map and then "Save" it into a new file.

How i see terry wads are copy from brutal doom?

I have no idea what you're talking about and I better don't even want to know it.

scifista42 said:

You simply open your mapping editor, choose "New Map", select map format and map slot, select your IWAD as a resource, confirm to start the map and then "Save" it into a new file.

So i can use my copied IWAD as resource?.

EDIT : Yes i can. Is it allowed to distribute it now?

You can (and should) use your original IWAD as a resource, even. "Resource" means that you can edit your map with assets from Doom2.wad loaded externally, but your wad itself will not contain them, only contain your own map. Players are supposed to own Doom2.wad on their own computers, and if they do, they will be able to play your map. Your wad with just your map (not IWAD content) is allowed to distribute, yes.

scifista42 said:

You can (and should) use your original IWAD as a resource, even. "Resource" means that you can edit your map with assets from Doom2.wad loaded externally, but your wad itself will not contain them, only contain your own map. Players are supposed to own Doom2.wad on their own computers. Your wad with just your map (not IWAD content) is allowed to distribute, yes.

Thanks for the help!

Now i need help on the script. Voodoo dolls sound a bit hard to do

I know how to script, but only LUA 5.2.3, this is something new

There is no startup-auto-execute without ACS. The player must cross a linedef with a specific walkover action with the same tag as the tag of the crusher sector. Just put the action linedef in his way. When he crosses it, the crusher will start moving.