Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Boingo

Stacking switches

I know how to do a lot of special effects, but I am having trouble with one particular effect—stacked switches.

As far as I know, it involves placing multiple lindefs between the same two verticies, and making each switch a single use switch (S1). Unfortunately, when I tried this technique, I could not get it to work. The lowest numbered linedef would activate, but the others would not.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

(BTW: I have checked, and ALL the lindefs do exist. None were removed by the editor during the save.)

Hm... actually you're not supposed to be able to have them stacked like that, it should cause problems. If they're on different levels, just place each one 1 pixel back from the one below it, or above it, or however you wanna do it.

I've already done that method. It is not what I need though.

I have seen the method I have described above in other wads, so I know there must be a way to do it.

It may require a node builder that is better than the one I have, or perhaps each linedef requires its own pair of verticies.

If only I could find that level with the stacked switches that I had...

I've never actually tried it with the lines right on top of each other, as you describe, but I have used the other method of having lines close behind each other.

The only thing I can suggest is that you check you have enabled the BOOM specific "USE THROUGH" flag. This allows lines close in front of others to be operated, but the operation is also passed through to the line behind.

If you are using DeePsea, and running BOOM.PRJ, this flag is pretty obvious. It appears as a button in the bottom left of the screen, as do all other lindef flags, and as a check box in the flags section of the lindef editor. Can't comment on other editors though.

I'm talking about something that will work in generic DooM and all the ports, not something that is port specific.

I've seen a level where it was done before, so I know it must be possible somehow.

Find special.wad ... it has that effect in it. Was on the alchemy CD as I remember. I cant find it on cdrom.com mirror so I'll try and find the CD later.

I searched the CD but didn't find any special.wad ... I do remember what the WAD was like, but still I don't remember anything about stacked switches.

Found it... http://ice.alcopop.org/spcial3a.zip its for doom, and I've just found out the switches don't seem to work in legacy. The effect of the switches is ok, but the graphics aren't changing (I'm not sure why). It works in vanilla doom and probably all other ports.

Can I remove it yet? I'd rather not have this stuff on my server for eaons :)

hmm....R u trying to make da switch open a door by raising da ceiling and lowering da floor at da same time? cuz i tried to do dat by making a 16 line-def switch where da odd number ones raise da ceiling and da even # ones lower da floor...

example:

x = vertecies
- = line-defs

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
_1 2 3 4 5 6 7 6 7 8 9_

tag all da line-defs to da same sector u want to make door out of. Den set all da odd # ones to "SR - turbo opens door"
and all da even #s to "SR - turbo lowers lift"

is dat wut ur trying to do????