Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rchowrc

Changing Sounds

Can someone tell me how I can use DeePsea to change the firing sound that chaingunners make? I want to use the pistol sound as the new one.

I thought that the chaingunners do use the pistol sound, dspistol, it is just rapidly repeated. Do you want to have another sound for the chaingun vs. the pistol, or just change the pistol/chaingun sound? It's the latter you can do, not the former AFAIK.

DeePsea should let you import a .wav file and name it dspistol. Hit F7, use the "Save lump file to current level" button, type the name dspistol, browse to the .wav file you want, etc.

Use F7/Import Merge Tool. Choose your Target PWAD (to receive the sounds) and add any WAV or SND files you want (or anything else for that matter). Change the lump name before saving (if different from what you want).

However, is this for stock DOOM or a PORT? If it's for STOCK, then change the Auto Options conversion defaults to SND otherwise it keeps WAV as WAV and only ports play WAV. Same thing for MIDI vs MUS.

For ZDOOM, you can have a different sound for the chaingun (iow, not use dspistol).

I have a pwad called psxsnds.wad which contains only new sounds. I want to import these sounds into the doom2 IWAD. In the DeePsea lumps import dialog box, I selected the doom2 IWAD as my target and the psxsnds.wad as my source. I used the Import All Files button to replace the sounds. When I exit the import dialog box, the editor shows an error message saying that the IWAD is not valid anymore. So, how do I import all these sounds into a wad?

rchowrc said:

Can someone tell me how I can use DeePsea to change the firing sound that chaingunners make? I want to use the pistol sound as the new one.

Use Dehacked and make a DEH that changes the firing frame of the chaingunner from the chaingunner shooting code pointer to the trooper firing code pointer.

http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/codep.txt

Edit: actually I made a DEH a while back to do just this:

http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/CHAINGUN.DEH

deep said:

However, is this for stock DOOM or a PORT? If it's for STOCK, then change the Auto Options conversion defaults to SND otherwise it keeps WAV as WAV and only ports play WAV. Same thing for MIDI vs MUS.

For ZDOOM, you can have a different sound for the chaingun (iow, not use dspistol).

Ack, I confused chaingunners with chainguns. :)

And, only ports play WAV? Does that mean that all of this time I've used Wintex to put .wav files into wads, Wintex has been secretly converting to a SND format, whatever that is?

The different zdoom chaingun sound...done via sndinfo, or is there a special sound name for it?

I thought that the chaingunners do use the pistol sound, dspistol, it is just rapidly repeated.

I listened to the firing sound of chaingunners again and discovered that they use the shotgun sound instead of the pistol one. The player's chaingun uses the pistol sound, but not the chaingunners. I don't know why this is the case.

Yes, for some reason id Software made the chaingunners and SS nazis shoot the same bullets as the trooper, but with a different snippet of code so it used the shotgun sound instead of the chaingun sound.

My theory for this is that id didn't want the chaingunner to fire its chaingun as fast as the player's, and so if they used the regular bullet-shooting noise, it would be immediately obvious that the chaingun was firing slower than your and it would just sound weird. By using a different firing noise for the chaingunner's chaingun, it makes it sound like a different weapon and so you don't really notice that it's firing slower than the chaingun should.

I used the CHAINGUN.DEH file to change the sound, but the sound heard at the end of the game during the enemy introduction sequences is the same old one. I know this is a minor thing, but, is there a way to modify the deh file to fix this?

rchowrc said:

selected the doom2 IWAD as my target and the psxsnds.wad as my source. I used the Import All Files button to replace the sounds. When I exit the import dialog box, the editor shows an error message saying that the IWAD is not valid anymore. So, how do I import all these sounds into a wad?

You never said you were doing an IWAD. Almost never done. Here's what you do:

Click the radio button that says "Save with IWAD Header". All better now. Actually you can just open the Target you made before (that is now a PWAD), click the "IWAD Header" and just save without redoing the import.

Linguica said:

My theory for this is that id didn't want the chaingunner to fire its chaingun as fast as the player's, and so if they used the regular bullet-shooting noise...

KISS - they saved valuable space. No other reason.

Actually, they use the shotgun noise, like the big spider does. They should have used the pistol noise, since they use the same gun as you do.

deep said:

So in order to save valuable space they added a snippet to the source code that allowed enemies to fire a pistol bullet with a shotgun sound effect - code which did not exist in Doom 1. Instead of just giving the chaingunner the same code the trooper used, they wrote something new so it would use the same attack but with a different sound effect. Uh, yeah.

deep said:

Uhhh, they did not, they just made him use a different sound when he fired his weapon. Ling's argument was that id didn't use the pistol/chaingun sound for the chaingunners because it was too short a sound and they have a slower firing rate than the player's chaingun, not that they should have added in an entirely new sound. Either way there's no new sound, if they use the pistol or shotgun sound, both of which would be in there anyway.

Linguica said:

So in order to save valuable space they added a snippet to the source code that allowed enemies to fire a pistol bullet with a shotgun sound effect - code which did not exist in Doom 1. Instead of just giving the chaingunner the same code the trooper used, they wrote something new so it would use the same attack but with a different sound effect. Uh, yeah.

And? What exactly does the above have to do with sharing sounds anyway? That's the ONLY point I was making, code is not relevant to my point - obviously there's code to make this sharing occur. So the simple answer guiding their use of sounds is memory only.

Think about it. Why not make a totally NEW sound (not shared)? That would have been far better.

You forget how precious memory was in those days. 4MB was a BIG system and 8MB was HUGE. A bit of code space is nothing compared to the size of sound lumps. Seeing how they did some odd things elsewhere to save space, seems the overriding concern was memory. If you followed it back then, memory uses was on the top of the list. Even their heap algorithm clearly shows the memory problem. Still causes problems in current ports.

In the end, you don't know for sure, I don't know for sure. So leave it at that.

Maybe someone should go over to Romero's new DOOM Forum and ask him about the chaingun-pistol sound issue. If anyone has the correct answer, please post back here.

rchowrc said:

I have a pwad called psxsnds.wad which contains only new sounds. I want to import these sounds into the doom2 IWAD. In the DeePsea lumps import dialog box, I selected the doom2 IWAD as my target and the psxsnds.wad as my source. I used the Import All Files button to replace the sounds. When I exit the import dialog box, the editor shows an error message saying that the IWAD is not valid anymore. So, how do I import all these sounds into a wad?

You can merge your PSX sounds with your Doom2.wad
That's what I did (with the music too) and it's awsome to play
PC Doom with PSX atmosphere !

Click F7
merge-import Files and Pwad/Combine Pwads
Open target (doom2.wad)
Add Lump file (your psx sounds)
Save all files
You must overwrite all the sounds.
It works, enjoy !
The Iwad is not valid anymore, that's true.

You can have a PSX sounds wad and PSX music wad on Elbryan42's site
http://depot.wrong.button.com/

The Iwad is not valid anymore, that's true.

You mean not an IWAD? Easy solution - Answer as posted above: just click the "Save with IWAD Header" and now it's still an IWAD.

For DeHackEd, the shotgun sound used by monsters is unusual (not the sound, I mean the code related to it), as you may have noted the monsters do not have the shotgun sound as the "attack sound." On the other hand, there IS an attack sound for the troopers pistol sound or for most other monster attack sounds. So it can't be changed using DHE: all you can do is add the pistol sound. In that case I think both the pistol and shotgun sound are heard. The only way around this would be to disable the shotgun sound entry, and use a pointer for another sound for the shotgun blast (by the way, this is probably not possible in standard DeHackEd).

deep said:

You mean not an IWAD? Easy solution - Answer as posted above: just click the "Save with IWAD Header" and now it's still an IWAD.

Yes you're right, I just forget that...