Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
droscoe

I'm Having Issue with Wall Brightness

Below is just one example of an issue I keep running into. This hallway is one sector, with a brightness of 112 I believe. Both the wall textures/linedefs have a brightness of 0. Both of them.

But clearly they are different shades, or brightness. What is going on here? How can I alleviate this problem? This is happening all over my map.

Doom has this fake contrast rendering thing.
You can disable it from options (in gzdoom) the menu

options->display-Use fake contrast->off

I think you can also put it off via mapinfo.

I don't know how it works in other source ports.

Oh, wow. Ok thank you for the responses!

I was worried that something was wrong, and that a player would see this as a mistake the map maker made. I never noticed fake contrast in game before. It seems to be an innate feature within Doom, not to mention a feature that can be turned off in the options menu, so I won't worry about it then.

It just looks...wrong...in the editor. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Also, I'm worried this is a noob question. But I keep seeing articles and posts about editing the MAPINFO, and I've googled it, but I don't seem to understand how to GET to the mapinfo, or what it even is. Is it an options box in gzdoom editor? How do I edit it?

Thanks again. take care.

You create it like a DECORATE file, but name it MAPINFO instead, view as text and place in all the relevant info it needs.

droscoe said:

EDIT: Also, I'm worried this is a noob question. But I keep seeing articles and posts about editing the MAPINFO, and I've googled it, but I don't seem to understand how to GET to the mapinfo, or what it even is. Is it an options box in gzdoom editor? How do I edit it?

It's a text lump. Use a wad editor like SLADE 3, create a new lump, name it MAPINFO (or ZMAPINFO, EMAPINFO, etc. as appropriate for the port) and then edit it as text and start typing the MAPINFO code. It's not part of the level data, so it's not covered by a map editor like GZDB.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAPINFO

For text lumps like MAPINFO, use Slade. It's also great for adding things like music, textures, sprites, etc.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Awesome information! Thank you so much!

I'm making some serious headway on my new map. This will help me.