Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buu342

Need suggestions for a minigame wad I'm making

Hey there!
I'm making a WarioWare esque doom wad right now, and I need some ideas for minigame events.

For those who aren't aware, WarioWare is a round based game where players try to complete a task in order to gain a point. Players with the most points in the end win.

I want to have as many events as possible, and I want to have a lot of Doom themed events, as in related to the Doom community or the game itself, but also some extra random ones. I wanted it to serve as a small collection of famous events or wads during Doom's History.

Here are the ones planned so far. The ones struck out are finished:

Spoiler

The Floor is Lava
Survive the Cyberdemon
Survive against the Jitterskulls (Teleports you to a forest where you must survive against the ghoul from Ghouls Forest 3, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rphe8-Kqz44)
Shoot a Barrel
Stop moving
Keep moving
Enter a door
Clean your pistol (Extreme Weapons Pack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqzKk2PZxGQ, spam left click to keep the animation going)
Blow Your Brains Out (The Room's Pistol http://www.moddb.com/mods/room)
Hit The Target
Reach the End (Diddy Kong Racing)
Reach the End (Teleports you to an arena where the floor keeps disappearing/reappearing. reach the end)
Collect a specific key (blue red or yellow)
Reach the End (Teleports you to a trap room)
Stay Off The Ground (jump or rocket jump)
Stay On The Ground (don't jump or rocket jump, you can screw others by shooting rockets at them)
Evade the Archviles (pillars raise up and you need to survive getting caught on fire)
Falcon Punch (you are given a fist which takes a second to activate, but instant kills the opponent)
Kill an opponent (Using an SSG)
Reach the end (slope with rocks falling)
Equip your WEAPON_NAME_HERE
Touch the Sky
Evade the Kamikazi (spawns an exploding enemy)
Collect 10 rings (teleports you to a sonic level)
Fight to the death (boxing). 1 point per kill
Drink (cola weapon. Left click)
Survive a Terry trap
Save Hissy (Get to Hissy at the end of the map while avoiding Linguica)
Shoot a duck (Duck Hunt Style)
Kill Ned Flanders (Ultimate Simpson Doom)
Kill John Romero
Storm The Beach (Omaha Beach (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5p5j_K0CsY))
Save the humans (Chex Quest)

scifista42 - E1M1 Race
Ichor - Cross the road (chicken)
Kapanyo - Reach the End (The chasm)
Kapanyo - Don't fall off (rocket launcher)
Kapanyo - Shotgun Search (Super dark shotgun fight) (Suspense)
VGA - Follow the Light (Ceiling falling with light telling you where to go)
Ichor - Swim Up
Ichor - Jumpman
Ichor - Land in the water
Ichor - Don't Get Wet
Ichor - Caco Phony (three cacodemons, ball under a cup)
Sgt Ender - Jump The Hurdle

Any more ideas are welcome. The more Doom-y the better!
For example, I wanted to make an event related to Massmouth, but I don't know what I'll do with it.

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN701SfTdZc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbT_RT0MW4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ryMfQ2HeCY

Surf the Fire (Use arch-viles to knock you to a certain spot. You will be invulnerable of course.)

Shoot the Nazi (Taken from Mock 2, a Hitler picture spins around and you must shoot it, except this will have 3 rounds. Each round it spins around faster, or even changes directions)

Don't Miss (Kill every enemy without hitting the very sensitive barrels.)

Zone Eater Room (The entire room is a crusher, except for certain holes which are safe to stand to avoid the crusher. You must make it to the other side.)

Catch That Medikit (A medikit sprouts legs and quickly runs around, and you try to catch it.)

lil' Stinkers (You're in a room covered with mirrors. They all break and tiny doomguys pour out and attack you. They don't do much damage on their own, but there's a lot of them.)

Opposing Viewpoint (You are one of the two barons in E1M8. Doomguy shows up and you and the other baron must kill him.)

Fibonazi (Kill 1 Wolfenstein SS Nazi. Another appears. Kill that one and 2 more show up. Kill those 2 and 3 more appear. Then 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, and finally 55.)

Build-a-Boss (Using various presets in different categories (what weapon(s) it uses, attack pattern, etc.), you create the boss that you fight.)

Falling With Style (Fall to the bottom from very high. There will be obstacles in the way, like crossbars, floors with a hole in it, enemy fire, etc.)

Dismal Oubliette Elevator (An elevator slowly lowers. Various enemies teleport in until you reach the bottom.)

Get Ye Flask (Pick up a spiffy looking health potion.)

Doomguy Black (Fight a dark version of yourself, who has the same weapons you have.)

Duck You (Now you are the duck and you must avoid enemy gunfire.)

Barnyard Buffonery (You are a pig and you must fight chickens, sheep, ducks, other pigs, spiders, and rats.)

Funny Bones (Survive as long as you can against a barrage of revenant rockets)

Singing Sword (Kill a bunch of enemies using a sword that loudly sings an extremely annoying song.)

Not sure if I'm doing it right, but:

Zig-zag race: A (time-limited) race through (a very prolonged version of) E1M1's zig-zag path over a liquid that is both damaging and has high friction factor, and with (mostly low-tier) enemies in the way, and the path becoming thinner and thinner towards the end.

Icon of Sin's fury: Takes place in a relatively small arena, with an Icon of Sin on one of its walls, overlooking the entire arena (there is no place in the arena without a line of sight towards the Icon of Sin). The Icon of Sin rapidly fires spawn cubes towards the player's current position, so that the player has to keep moving to avoid being telefragged, in addition to avoiding attacks of already spawned monsters. As the arena gets flooded with monsters quickly, the player has to survive until a given amount of monsters (say, 1000) is spawned.

Also wanted something with a reference to Dead Simple, but no particularly good rules came to mind.

The ideas are looking good. I'm liking some of the suggestions.
Try to make the minigames fast paced. Remember, the game is meant to be played with many people, so it's supposed to be a clusterfuck. And as the game goes on, the games get faster and harder, so try to make minigames that don't go on for too long.
Some videos that might inspire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycq5iDtf0kY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKNVRVTxBq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF7KHvlFZmc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8-lUJj5kDE

Fustercluck (You're a chicken crossing a (mostly) deserted road and you need to get to the other side. However, your head has been cut off and you run around in mostly random directions.)

To Gunfinity and Beyond (You have a souped up chaingun with infinite ammo, and you have to survive as long as possible against an endless horde of zombies (Night of the Living Dead type, non shooting) coming from various directions.)

Guest Unregistered account

Hey, uh, Buu.. I'm pretty sure these styles of minigames are closer to Mario Party than WarioWare...
Nevertheless, I have an idea!

Cyber Stomper
In a dark, Downtown-esque mazelike city with super-tall buildings, a Cyberdemon shows up and chases you and your buddies through the streets. There are flaming barrels and barrels as obstacles. The Cyberdemon moves much faster and fires occasionally as the round goes on.
Shawn's Got the Shotgun or Facing the Spider would probably be good music choices for this minigame.

The Megachasm
A massive-scale version of The Chasm, in which players must navigate excruciatingly narrow platforms to reach the centre, which has a BFG on it. Reaching the BFG does not guarantee a win, because the last player standing wins.
Players are unable to use their pistol and instead start with Rocket Launchers (with 5 ammo). Players' punches also have much higher punching power than usual.
The platforms get narrower and narrower the closer to the centre they are.

Hunted
Just a massive-scale version of Hunted from Plutonia. Players have no weapons.
The last player standing wins!

Soul Smasher
Players face off in a court where they have only a Rocket Launcher and are invulnerable to each other's attacks. An invulnerable Pain Elemental stays in the centre of the arena and fires Lost Souls promptly at players who then have to bounce the Lost Souls at other players with their Rocket Launcher, making sure not to blow themselves up. Last player standing wins!

Kapanyo said:

Hunted
Just a massive-scale version of Hunted from Plutonia.

I find the maze in Hunted from Plutonia already too obnoxiously large, so what about a smaller-scale version instead?

Guest Unregistered account
scifista42 said:

I find the maze in Hunted from Plutonia already too obnoxiously large, so what about a smaller-scale version instead?

Good idea! There should probably only be two Arch-Viles, and the maze should be small enough that it's nearly easy to get cornered.
But would it be more fun with a top-down camera (which would add to the "party" feel and eliminate frustration) or just the normal first-person view (would feel Doomier and add suspense)?

Here's another idea!
Shotgun Search
In a super-dark and creepy ware-station reminiscent of Containment Area (it had better have tons of crates), players must try to kill each other with Super Shotguns. The catch is that while a player is more than a few metres away from your vision, they will become invisible. This minigame would be a very tense test of reaction, stealth and prediction (for those moments when players have encountered each other and are firing off shots, occasionally becoming visible to each other then disappearing again)!
Last player standing wins.
The music track should either be 'DOOM' or 'Suspense'.

I have this time ideas of a minigame:
DEMONIC MASSACRE RELOADED
You are in a huge building and equipped only with Chainsaw,Berserk,Fists and Invulnerability.The room is flooded with shittons of demonic incarnates(Not all of them,after killing 1000 of them,1000 spawn on their place) and you m,ust kill as much as you can for 20 minutes using melee weapons and environmental hazards.The more you kill,the more points you get
Artillery Tower
You are lone marine on a huge tower in Hell and you need to defend it from 100 waves of demons.After each wave you are presented with more health and ammo
Doom Box Championship
You are Doomguy ready for boxing with demons....
Run Marine Run
10 years after the events in Doom 2 you retire and have a good family.But one day a Cyber spawns and shoots a rocket at your house just as you,your wife and your 2 children come back.Your weapons are confiscated after retiring and you tell you wife and kids to spare you and you need to run from the Cyber as long as you find a weapon to defeat it(be careful,don't lure the monster onto your wife and children)

Kapanyo said:

Hey, uh, Buu.. I'm pretty sure these styles of minigames are closer to Mario Party than WarioWare...
Nevertheless, I have an idea!

Well, mario Party has the Dice roll per round that decides how close to victory you get, and the minigames are esentially you have to outperform everyone in said minigame, while WariWare is minigame after minigame, with little breathing time. And in those games, you don't really have to outperform, but rather try not to screw yourself over.
It's all down to interpretation

Anyway, I really enjoy those ideas! Gonna have to modify them a bit so that they can run on a timer rather than "Last Man Standing"

Another minigame:
Park Kill!!!!
This minigame combines parkour and DM in Doom.The players race through a parkour map and kill each other in order to progress through the course and reach the finish.First player that finishes wins.Scores are given for a distance and for number of killed players

Follow The Light: You are in a big room where the ceiling slams down intermittently. Before each slam, a light shines down on a little spot, randomly. And you have to run to it or you get squished.

Later on some pulsating lights will also appear, in order to confuse you, you should ignore these.

Jumpman (You're stationary, but the hallway is scrolling making it look like you're running. Barrels roll at you and you must jump over them.)

Swim Up (You start at the bottom of a fairly deep pool and you must dodge obstacles and reach the surface.)

Find the Spectre (You're looking at a faraway mountain. A single unmoving spectre is there somewhere, and you win by moving your crosshair over it at least once before time runs out.)

Treasure Hunt (A map of a small sized area, marked with an X, appears on your screen. The object is to run over to that spot before time runs out.)

Murder Made Easy (On a Dead Simple type map, you must press 4 switches to allow access to the central exit (normally the switches would lower the platforms). The mancubus will still be there shooting at you, but the outer area with the arachnotrons won't be there.)

Big Top High Dive (You jump off a very high diving board into a small bucket of water, surrounded by lava.)

Ice Follies (The floor is ice. You must reach a certain spot, but there are things (and other players) moving around that can bump you and send you off course or even over the edge.)

Hungry Hungry Hell Knights (A couple of hell knights appear and chase you around. They don't shoot, but they are really fast. Don't let them touch you.)

Don't Get Wet (An umbrella appears. You have to get under it before the rain starts.)

Make A Room (You are the cursor in Doom Builder. Walk around the perimeter of the platform. Once you finish, the room appears and you win.)

Choco Caco (You're holding a cacodemon chocolate bar. Eat it.)

Find Shelter (You're in an empty city. The Silent Hill alarm sounds. Find shelter quick before all goes dark.)

Caco Phony (There are five cacodemons. One of them is a fake. Shoot the fake one.)

Buu342 said:

Here's a preview of it so far for you guys! (a lot of the content wasn't shown, which is the sad part about randomization)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbT_RT0MW4M&feature=youtu.be

Don't mind the stuff on the top middle, it's for debugging and won't be in the final wad.

The minigames seem to be a lot smaller-scaled and shorter-lasting than I thought they were supposed to be. I like it, very nice.

scifista42 said:

The minigames seem to be a lot smaller-scaled and shorter-lasting than I thought they were supposed to be. I like it, very nice.

Yeah I probably should have made it a bot clearer in the OP. Regardless, the ideas can still be worked on to be shortened. For example, I enjoyed your idea of the E1M1 acid zigzag race and I plan on adding it, albiet in smaller scale. The ideas are still really appreciated.

In another note, I've figured out how I will do the massmouth minigame. I'll make it a quick run through the Worm's moon base to his throne room.

SHoot em up!
You are gunslinger and you need to protect a friendly baby Hissy that was born.All other demons and scripted marines try to kill it because it was not a native demon nor native human.Kill all the pursuers and save the baby Hissy

Linguica said:

>:(

Linguica is evil. Don't you agree?

Spoiler

pls no ban

But seriously, y'know what they say, Screw up once and they'll remind you forever.

Here's another Update video for you guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN701SfTdZc

So currently, I've spiced up the gamemode's round system a bit and extended the gamemode's length to 25 rounds. I've made it so that as the game speeds up, it makes each minigame last shorter AND become harder. I've also added a "Ding" sound to some minigames in order for the player to know whether he has sucessfully completed the minigame or not. Finally, I added new gamemodes as you can see in the video (as well as showed off other gamemodes that didn't make it in the last video).

CaptainManiac said:

Linguica,Buu342,chill and reconsile,please.The minigame developing is not for people to argue and insult each other

No hatred here. It's based off the time Ling tried to keep this Hissy plush or whatever. There was a campaign to "free Hissy". Even a website was put up.

SgtEnder and CaptainManiac, please reconcile. Please. It is heartbreaking to see the community torn apart like this :(

CaptainManiac said:

I am sorry about knowing everything wrong.If can forgive you about the offends,bt i am not sure you can forgive my stupidity

It's not a problem, just chillax. No one here's attacking you, and it's fine that you don't know about some of the in-jokes if you're not too knit with the community.

Now lets stop derailing the thread :v

Hm,i have another idea.You are Sherloch Holmes and you need to solve a mistery about a pregnant girl that was burned during her baby's birth.The hospital department is also ruined.The charred body remains do not give clues.Soon after other clues he sees that the reason is something from Hell and Sherlock Hilmes goes to Hell alone and sees that the killer is chased to be killed by others.He tries to kill him,but he only can chase his victims.Then he meets the killer and realises the truth and they unite and fight for their life