Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomedout

What makes doom, Doom?

I think the "best" first-person-shooter in terms of design, play balancing and value for money, would have to be Unreal Tournament 2003.

In care of your sanity, I really hope those quotation marks were supposed to indicate sarcasm.

Little Faith said:

Doom has one crappy map in my opinion:

E3M8!

I was so dissapointed when I reached that level for the first time. I was expecting an über boss battle with the fabled mastermind in the deepest bowels of hell and then I get a lame marble arena in full daylight.

That brings me to mind map09 of Doom2. Arguably the fugliest level in the whole damn game. Ugh....bad flat choices, bad texture choices, and, IMHO, it's not fun to play.

I think what made doom the best there was and a classic by any definition is the fact that it came, it saw and it conquered. Simply put, Doom defined gaming. Tell me one game with more influence on the gaming industry then doom. It oozed of innovation. And ironically part of this innovation was dependant on the simplicity of the game. It was so darn simple that it made even the most casual bumfart in the world was immersed in it. The monsters were the best ever created imo, thought in retrospect they look slightly cartoonish now. Other values of the game were its speed, gameplay, sheer action and that dont-give-a-flying-fuck-hey-im-in-hell attitude.
Another thought provoking question: Do you think any fps in the future can match the raw speed, action, simplicity, creativity and sheer genuis of doom?

DooMBoy said:

That brings me to mind map09 of Doom2. Arguably the fugliest level in the whole damn game. Ugh....bad flat choices, bad texture choices, and, IMHO, it's not fun to play.

Sorry but map09, IMHO, is a fun map to play but it's not an easy map to play well.

Atmosphere, the ability to recreate almost any environment, from hell to surface earth to alien world to space and spaeships, fantastic range and variation of enemies/weapons and simple, killer gameplay. It is the jewel in the crown of fps.

I love Doom because of the ports and the editing tools. Quake has level editors (Qoole) but they're expensive. Ports rock! ZDoom is fun. TCP/IP is great, too. The community here is great. I love making levels and posting here about Doom stuff.

And it's cheap. ^_^

I prefer Domm over newer games because of the simple controlls: You move, you shoot.

The newer ones have all this jump, crouch, look around crap, I can't push that many buttons at once.

And of course theres the chance to change it and make it my own using wads. Because of user made levels, Doom is a game that never ends. And if a game never ends, you can play it forever. I sure as hell will play it forever:D

I think map09 is one of the best id maps of all: lots of possible tricks and route options. Watch how Sedlo does it in his 30uv1617 TAS demo (and read his accompanying text) if you need convincing. (Plays back OK with PrBoom.)

I like Doom for its simplicity, but am pleased that source ports have incorporated some of the useful features of newer games (at least as options). I also like the fact that the monsters are so stupid (and the marine is so superhuman) that you can face overwhelming odds and still come out on top.

Of course, the constant stream of good new wads is the game's life-blood.

Why do I luv DOOM so much? Simple. See everyone else's answers.

Fredrik said:

Doom isn't the best game ever created, now go elsewhere, kthxbye.

In my world you didn't say that, else I'd have slapped you with a trout.

Edit: Another reason for DOOM? Aliens TC.

I also like map09. I think it has great game play and it has some of the better music as well IMO.
But back to the topic.
Doom is good because...... drum-role please, id designed it that way.

doomedout said:

Do you think any fps in the future can match the raw speed, action, simplicity, creativity and sheer genuis of doom?

[cynical]No, as today's game developers are obsessed with cool graphics and as many different controls as can possibly cram in, as well as sneak-around-and-watch-out-cos-one-shot-and-you're-dead type of realism. Also, they like to put as few monsters in one room as possible, presumably cos any more might slow down the mighty 10000MHz PC the games are built for.[/cynical]

Unfortunately, the high speed, high bodycount style of FPS seen in DooM, Heretic, Hexen, Duke etc. went out of fashion years ago, to be replaced by the special forces/stealth 'em up type games we see today.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Unfortunately, the high speed, high bodycount style of FPS seen in DooM, Heretic, Hexen, Duke etc. went out of fashion years ago, to be replaced by the special forces/stealth 'em up type games we see today.

The truth is bullshit. Yet sadly true.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Only until true 3D technology reaches what is possible with Doom in 2.5D. Still some way to go...

magikal said:

Only until true 3D technology reaches what is possible with Doom in 2.5D. Still some way to go...

About 10GHz and a GeForce7 may do it imo.
I've just been playing MOHAA, which I picked up for a fiver. It's nice but it's like watching paint dry. I think the soldier only has one leg he's so slow and awkward, back to Doom.

You wouldn't get the same type of play as DOOM anyway due to the increased complexity of the 3D environment and movement.

System Shock 2 is by far the best FPS ever created.
Followed by Half-Life.
and then Doom.

System Shock 2. Defiantly the best and most underrated game of all time.

Lord FlatHead said:
I think the "best" first-person-shooter in terms of design, play balancing and value for money, would have to be Unreal Tournament 2003.

No Muiltplayer only FPS could ever be the best FPS ever created. NEVER. And besides, Quake III arena Ownz it anyway.

Doom 2 DM is the best, and the fastest-paced DM matches ever. even friends who are pro-halflife agree with me, but they say "the graphics suck".

whatever.

i wouldn't exactly say that doom 2 is the best game ever. in my opinion, marvel vs capcom series and turrican 2 are just a bit better than the doom series.

What I think makes Doom what it is, is the community. Because without any community, there'd be no MM, Zdoom, Tei Tenga, Legacy, Doom 2, EDGE... need I say more?

Truth hurts, but how popular would a game be if it was comparable to the speed and simplicity of doom yet had graphics which rivaled games like ut2003 and doom3? That is to say they would cut that bullshit stealth type gameplay where only a few monsters appear here and there to a more furious action packed game which had monsters sprawling all over the place. Tht with the new doom3 engine would do just nicely.....

deathz0r said:
Doom 2 DM is the best, and the fastest-paced DM matches ever. even friends who are pro-halflife agree with me, but they say "the graphics suck".

Now that is something I can't imagen Counter Strike people saying... well, except for "the graphics suck". I will say, that for me at least, Dooms DM was never it's strong point. co op however... :)

doomedout said:
Truth hurts, but how popular would a game be if it was comparable to the speed and simplicity of doom yet had graphics which rivaled games like ut2003 and doom3? That is to say they would cut that bullshit stealth type gameplay where only a few monsters appear here and there to a more furious action packed game which had monsters sprawling all over the place. Tht with the new doom3 engine would do just nicely.....

Might sound strange, but I don't really think doom looks bad... well OK, doom.exe at 320x240 dose look bad, but under any source port with 16/32 bit colour, and at 1024x768, even the old sprite based system looks fantastic. And I also might point out that stealth can make a game more fun when implemented right. The best example of stealth mixed with action would be RtCW. if you’re clever, you can really use sneak tactics to your advantage.

PS Thief Rocks

/Me waits for all the Heretic freaks to show up and claim that "Heretic 0wnz Doom"
/Me cocks shotgun

:-P

I played a Heretic map again yesterday. Its two main problems are that it lacks DOOM's solid fearsome mood (it's neat and well done nonetheless, though) and there's no enemies with bullet-type attacks. For all the new cool monster attack modes, there's still something missing because of that lack. The fact that you can carry items to other maps and that you activate them by choice doesn't attract me either, nor does the broken demo recording. Overall it's cool and pretty much like DOOM but I'd rather play DOOM instead, mostly.

Nanami said:

Quake has level editors (Qoole) but they're expensive.

most quake editors even back then were freeware, but i used to use Qoole years ago (i never got over the brush-limits :P ), but it's open-source these days. and it edits half-life and all :P

http://www.volved.com/qsr/