Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Question about the sound source code of doom2.exe...

Is it possible to port the original source of sound system to zdaemon even though it's based off Zdoom? If it is, how? And why didn't Zdoom use it?

As far as I know, the original Doom sound code was not released with the rest of the source, because Id did not own the rights to said sound code. So your chances are very slim.

If someone records sounds from doom2.exe, convert them into actual sound files, then import them into a wad. So that even running the wad with Zdoom, would the result sound as close as the doom2.exe's?

999cop said:

If someone records sounds from doom2.exe, convert them into actual sound files, then import them into a wad. So that even running the wad with Zdoom, would the result sound as close as the doom2.exe's?

It was the sound system there were copyrighted, not the sound files.
The sound system is the code for the sound handling, etc...

Torn, you misunderstood me.

If one can record the sounds (with a recorder?) as playing under doom2.exe, then put them into the computer and import them in a wad through wintex or whatever editor. So the result would like as you're playing under doom2.exe. However I'm just stating if it could be a possibility...or hopefully idsoftware will release the sound code someday.

I don't see how the sound files inside the Wad would sound any different played through two different sound libraries. The sound code for the original DOS Doom was licensed from somewhere else, so the likelihood of this code being released is slim to none. Even if you could get this code, you couldn't really put it in ZDaemon, because it is DOS based and ZDaemon is a Windows port. The reason the sounds MIGHT sound different is the snd_samplerate console setting in ZDaemon. Change it to 11025 and see what happens.

I *suppose* you could record the midis/sounds playing with Doom2.exe and then import those into a wad as an mp3 or something, but why? Seems like a lot of work to make things sound like the original Doom2.