Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimm

Additional Credits to: id software for this great game!

I think pretty much everyone uses that little by-line, but the question is, who started it? I think it'd be very cool to find the first person ever to use that line. I'd e-mail him/her and congratualte them.

On a side note, does anyone NOT use that line? And sorry if this thread is found pointless, but I thought it pretty interesting.

heh, read the text files for the iamevil series. In fact, play the first in the series. It's my favorite. The music is quite fitting.

I usually don't credit id, but if they hadn't had the brilliant idea for Doom in the first place, I wouldn't be making Doom levels.

Additional credits to the original dw admins for the provision of these forums, without which this post would never have existed.

Yeah I couldn't resist, blah.

I always use this line, most often in my bibliography for my essays.

wait, I don't know what I am talking about.
I have never completed a map, so I never have made up a text file. I don't know if I would have used that line or not.

That venerable tradition seems to have gone the way of the good ol' days where it started.

Well, I guess that makes sense, since I was stuck with the 94-95-ish Maximum levels for about 6 years . . .

crediting id for doom wads seems a little silly now that only three people who worked on doom still work there, including a total of 0 original level designers. but i always either credit romero or "id software circa 1993".

Never_Again said:

Yeah, with Romero gone, id (d)evolved into an engine developing/licensing team.

And still I don't get why they gave tim willits a job at Id. I don't really find his doom maps that good...

His maps are ok. I suppose he was an excellent mapper for his time, id took notice, and what happened, happened.

The id people credit is the id that made DOOM, especially in the case of older WADs. After all, in relation to DOOM id is the people listed on the CREDIT screen and in ENDOOM "id Software is:" Unless specified, of course (some people say Quake is cool and stuff like that on their TXTs.)

Never_Again said:

yeah, that's how i've always felt about it. they make good engines, but heh, i think they should just stick to that.

Torn said:

And still I don't get why they gave tim willits a job at Id. I don't really find his doom maps that good...

me either. has anyone played raven? ugh. i think he only got the job because id would have rather had someone their age and not-so-talented, then young and good (same going for sandy petersen). he's gotten better, but he's still nothing special.

myk said:

The id people credit is the id that made DOOM

true, but i'd rather be specific about it, just to be sure.

Torn said:

Really, I could never understand how anyone could like Raven* maps. Haphazard design, shoddy textures and - the biggest, totally unbelievable faux pas - light level uniformly at the max. WTF??

Don't tell me this junk was "good for its time". I could name a dozen levels released before summer '94 that look and play about 10X better.
I could tell here how I really feel about these "classic Doom2 maps", but Baldy already did a pretty good job with it.

His only good map - excellent, in fact - that I know of is The Edge, but that was in Quake2 and years later.

Never_Again said:

If he hadn't have left, Quake 2 would undoubtedly have featured various Daikatana-esque elements (e.g. those flies that appear on dead bodies in Q2 would have been an enemy, and you'd have an idiotic and annoying sidekick), making it an utterly shite game instead of just an okay game. Although obviously there would have been some excellent levels :)

BlackFish said:

I think Ling implemented that feature last year.

"feature"? someone needs to let people do that again, i don't see what could possibly be the harm in it except *gasp* less spam!

NiGHTMARE said:
If he hadn't have left, Quake 2 would undoubtedly have featured various Daikatana-esque elements (e.g. those flies that appear on dead bodies in Q2 would have been an enemy

Heh, what an idea! Reminds me I haven't tried Daikatana yet (except that DM demo years ago).

making it an utterly shite game instead of just an okay game. Although obviously there would have been some excellent levels :)

I love Q2 DM. The single player was pretty blah, right.

Never_Again said:

Heh, what an idea! Reminds me I haven't tried Daikatana yet (except that DM demo years ago).

it's worth a try, no matter what its repuation is. i bought the game for $1 and it was certainly worth it. it's very inconsistent in terms of quality though. it feels particularly weird going from the excellent episode 3 to the godawful episode 4. i could definitely nitpick a lot of things about it. on the whole it isn't a great game, but unlike quake 2, it's at least interesting.