Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bellinger000

hexen

BTW, does anyone know if there is a Hexen Done Quick (speedrun)? I completed all 31 levels of the original Hexen in just under 7 hours on my first try, without a walkthrough.

mlin said:

BTW, does anyone know if there is a Hexen Done Quick (speedrun)? I completed all 31 levels of the original Hexen in just under 7 hours on my first try, without a walkthrough.

no, there is none.
Hexen has demo_playback issues.

Playback is skewed? Not sure about that myself, but I know for certain that it shares Heretic's recording flaw: you quit to DOS when you exit a map while recording, like in DOOM v1.2 and earlier.

Argh I hate that. It's almost impossible to time a demo, unless you use a stop watch or something similar.

Although Zdoom does support Hexen, there are a few nit-picky things I've found in it. There is no transparency for the sapphire wand sprites. And you can't porkelate dark servants. (which makes my solo hobbies quite a bore :P )

ANd if your thinking that your wrong. You sick, sick bastard. I usually kill them in the oddest ways.

Remember: software piracy is not allowed on these forums. Anyone asking, linking or offering full versions of these games will be banned on the spot.

Check out jHexen. It works great, but don't bother with model pack, it's not worth it.

Google is your friend. Check there before asking anything.

Does anyone play Hexen1 multplayer ?

mlin said:

I completed all 31 levels of the original Hexen in just under 7 hours on my first try, without a walkthrough.

Well, I won't call you a liar or anything, since I don't know you, but that sounds just a bit farfetched to me. All the levels, the first time through, without a walkthrough?

ravage said:

Although Zdoom does support Hexen, there are a few nit-picky things I've found in it. There is no transparency for the sapphire wand sprites. And you can't porkelate dark servants. (which makes my solo hobbies quite a bore :P )

Ravage, have you reported these bugs in the zdoom forums? The time is right....I assume you won't mind if I copy/paste your notes into the zdoom bugs forum? OK, I'll do it. :)

I can certainly see someone making it through in 7 hours on their first try. After you've played it through a couple of times and you know where you're going, you could find all the secrects, including the secret maps, and be done with the whole game in about four to five hours.

I know that the Bright Crubicle is a secret map, but I just can't remember how I open the walls. Its one of those things that you can do it, but you don't know how. Wierd.

Biffy: Go for it. I'm thinking of signing up on the zdoom forums soon anyway.

In the Seven Portals, once you raise the stairs, you'll see two puzzle switches near two of the three switches to open the big doors. Each one opens a door in Guardian of Ice, which leads to a secret exit to Guardian of Steel and Guardian of Fire. Go to the door on the right first, and in Guardian of Fire, hit that puzzle switch. Then go to the secret exit to Guardian of Steel (get ready for a hard fight). There's a switch somewhere in the big piston room. Hit that and the room in the center of the map opens up. Get the torch on that platform there and the walls leading to the secret map will open.

Ichor said:

In the Seven Portals, once you raise the stairs, you'll see two puzzle switches near two of the three switches to open the big doors. Each one opens a door in Guardian of Ice, which leads to a secret exit to Guardian of Steel and Guardian of Fire. Go to the door on the right first, and in Guardian of Fire, hit that puzzle switch. Then go to the secret exit to Guardian of Steel (get ready for a hard fight). There's a switch somewhere in the big piston room. Hit that and the room in the center of the map opens up. Get the torch on that platform there and the walls leading to the secret map will open.

good job.
I know this game like the back of my hand.. or the front of my hand.. whatever.
I played it so many times through.
bright crucible, IMO is the hardest level to get to/passed on skill 5. doing it with the fighter was so difficult... even the mage took some time..
the guardian of steel portion of getting to that level is a bitch...

Either I missed something or there's a bug in the script. If I go to the Guardian of Steel first and get the torch on that platform, the same message appears, but the walls don't move, but that's because it's only the first half. However, when I go to Guardian of Fire to hit that other switch, it should be the second half, and those walls should move, but they don't, and that script in Guardian of Steel only occurs once.

In other words, if you do it in the wrong order, you're out of luck.

I don't believe it is possible to finish Hexen under 7 hours, when playing first time. Not because monsters, but switches and puzzles. They aren't that hard, but switches are very hard to notice and often placed in dumb places. What about getting cave key ? I had problems with that when playing 3rd time. I would not be able to simply FIND all switches in 7 hours.

Picking up that torch isn't ALL you need to open the pass.

I recently played it, and the path was closed despite picking up the torch. I had to return to Guardian Of Ice (trap room) and then to GUardian Of Steel via portal.

First moments of playing as Cleric (skill5) are fun.. Mace isn't that great, and if you run out of flechettes - ouch !

Anyway, what are benefits from visiting Bright Crucible ?
-fun
-reference to Heretic
-opportunity to see brown serpents and stalkers
-opportunity to find discs of repulsion
- reference to level31 (DARK crucible)

Is that all ?
-------
Does anyone play Hexen1 multiplayer still ?

And in the Korax mod, picking up the Heart of D'Sparil automatically increases your level by 3.

It might just be me and I'm missing something, but what is the reference to Heretic in Bright Crucible?

/me slaps himself in the forehead
Of course!
I need to play through the first hub again....
Of course for me that usually means I'll get maybe half way through, get lost, and go play Heretic instead.

Yes, Bright Crucible, skill 5, is almost rediculous as the Fighter. And really quite pointless, too. Heh, with the Korax Mod as the Mage it's very fun, though.

Either I missed something or there's a bug in the script.. . . and that script in Guardian of Steel only occurs once.

You missed something. I did it the way you said before and it went through right. That would be a pretty big feebage if they did mess up though. :)

EDIT: While we're on the Korax Mod and Hexen, I encountered a big boo-boo playing the Korax Mod, as the Mage, skill 5. I think I saved the game *just* as my weapon dissappeared offscreen to switch to a new one. I loaded that game, and now I have no weepons, and I can't switch to any. I'm screwed. (Now that I think about it, I might get one if I went to a new a level, but probably not, since the game thinks I have no weapon.)

Hmm... I'l have to test that, and if it's true, I'll tell them about the bug.

Ok, I tested it, and it occurs for all classes on all skill levels. However, you can get all your weapons back when you go to another map.

On that list, only other benefit I see is picking up the invincibility Icon at the level's climax, but I don't know how many people actually use those things ingame. :)

Hexen, excellent game IMO..

I don't use them that often. I might use them more as a mage than the other two classes because of it's reflective shield, but even then I don't see much need for them. In the Korax mod, I'd just save them and use them all while fighting Korax.

You're lucky. If you were playing an earlier version, the game would crash upon loading that saved game, meaning it could not be salvaged and you'd most likely have to start all over.

Does anyone know of any complete walkthrough for Death Kings of the Dark Citadel? I've only been able to find Arne's (first episode only).