Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ChaosOverlord

new zdoom map

Why do people still bother playing DOOM in software mode ?

The smoothness of gameplay since not all of us have machines that can reasonably handle hardware modes (heck, my machine can't even take 1024x768 or whatever the exact number is), and some old schoolers like the old-time crappy resolution just for the Hell of it.

And the fact that most of the special tricks and editing techniques don't work in accelerated ports, so many, many, existing levels don't work.

And the fact that I personally think, more often than not, 3D accelerated doom make it look like my eyes have gone blurry and out of focus, whereas playing say, Zdoom at Hi res looks crystal clear and sharp.

3D acceleration is great, nah, essential to games like UT etc, but to me it just doesn't work in doom. Despite superb looking levels like Phobia being released.

quote:
_______
And the fact that most of the special tricks and editing techniques don't work in accelerated ports, so many, many, existing levels don't work.
_______

Hmm, never tried PrBoom ?
This baby eats nearly ALL !

And the fact that I personally think, more often than not, 3D accelerated doom make it look like my eyes have gone blurry and out of focus, whereas playing say, Zdoom at Hi res looks crystal clear and sharp.

It's too bad you can't get the graphic acceleration without looking like you've been drugged. Playing accelerated ports give me nasty eyeaches after about an hour, as opposed to software Doom where I can go like 6 hours until they finally get noticably sore, and even then not as bad as this accelerated BS.

Why do people still bother playing DOOM in software mode ?

The smoothness of gameplay since not all of us have machines that can reasonably handle hardware modes (heck, my machine can't even take 1024x768 or whatever the exact number is), and some old schoolers like the old-time crappy resolution just for the Hell of it.

On my machine, GL mode runs much faster than software mode. In fact, Quake3 runs faster than doom in software mode because it runs in GL.

I can't wait for those 3 weeks to pass until you complete your map.

And I prefer Software mode too....memories =)