Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
elbryan42

future plans ftp, do all think?

How do you all like the website? Is it easier to navigate than the ftp?

Once I find a place to put it up, I might shut down the ftp browsing and have everything through the webpage (almost everything on there so far, just added the links for the toons this week, files aren't up yet). This way, hammering will be a thing of the past (hopefully) and the ftp will be more popular than before. Also, it'll be easier to handle traffic (lower idle timeouts=more users can connect at a time).

The upload accounts will still exist, but since I'll be revamping the site for ease of html coding, you'll only have access to your upload directories.

Of course, if some of you prefer the ftp browsing (although I think the ftp kicks it's ass so far), I can set up some accounts, but only about 2 connections at a time. I want people to use the webpage.

So, what are all your thoughts on the ftp, where it's going, etc. Like the ftp, the website will be for everyone.

I dont think you should turn off ftp access. You should definitely be serving the webpages themselves on an http server though, not over ftp.

even without the frames it's easier to navigate. that's why i'm thinking about just having the browsing of the files through the website. it'll be much better having say, a 10 second timeout for the doom account. this way, people don't have to wait for a "slot" as long. i can make another ftp account, but have limited users on it, since, by my guess, a lot less people will use it when they can get files from the website.

i love that website. it gets cooler everyday. and to think a week and a half ago i hated using html and graphics. now i can't put them down. guess i just needed something to apply it to.

transparencies also rule. the size of the page is about 1/2 the size, it's faster, and looks better. can't wait to get home to work on that title graphic...

by the way, does anyone have a better name for the "doom miscellaneous" page? it sounds stupid, the name's too long, and it doesn't fit in the map that well (because of the length). i've been pondering what to call it, but can't think of anything.

by the way, does anyone have a better name for the "doom miscellaneous" page?

Doom Dragnet?

Dragnet in the sense of one of those nets they use on boats to collect random fish and pick out the better ones. Like a big collection of stuff you've picked up that has anything and everything in it.

doom dragnet? maybe... dunno. i want something that everyone can understand. we'll see what else comes up.

btw, at lunch i went home and did the title image, both on the map frame and the main page. it looks better than i thought it would. in fact it looks damn awesome!

also, the rest of the doom enemies from doom 2 (that aren't on the n64) will make an appearance on the site. just have to puzzle out where to put them.

just looked in the theasarus (wow, they have a use!) and a synonym is diffusion. doom diffusion. has a nice ring to it... what do you think?

Damn it, dragnet was the only good thing I found in my thesaurus :)

Diffusion sounds more like a project name. Diffusion usually gets associated with putting something out.

Doom Misc.
Doom Miscellany
Doom Mix
Doom Diversion
Doom Diversity
Doom Collective
Doom Compound
Different Doom
Doom Manifold
Doom Potlatch

Anyway, have you thought about my fixed background idea? At least try it out and see what you think.

It r0x0rs my b0x0rz man.....

NOW GET TO PUTTING UP MORE TRANSFORMERS EPISODES, THEY ROCK!!!!!! UNUUNUNF

/me rapes Galvatron

zeratul: i've already tried it. it pretty much sucked. most of the pages are too darn big to have something on the side at the top of the page. i already have a map at the bottom which is easy to get to all the time. there's an option to run the site without frames. (btw, pages with the map fixed on the side of the page always pissed me off for this reason).

i thought about 1 frame at the very top of the page. this way it doesn't take up any room, and it's always available (kinda like a menu). however, i love that psx doom pic too much...

some of those names are really great. that's much better than i could come up with.

oh well, screw attendance. i'm going home to work on the page, update the ftp and sleep. i have to work 10 1/2 hours tomorrow...

by the way, does anyone have a better name for the "doom miscellaneous" page? it sounds stupid, the name's too long, and it doesn't fit in the map that well (because of the length). i've been pondering what to call it, but can't think of anything.

Doom stuff.

BRILLIANT!

zeratul: i've already tried it. it pretty much sucked. most of the pages are too darn big to have something on the side at the top of the page. i already have a map at the bottom which is easy to get to all the time. there's an option to run the site without frames. (btw, pages with the map fixed on the side of the page always pissed me off for this reason).

Huh? All that bgproperties=fixed does is keep the background image still when scrolling, which is kind of a cool effect. I never heard of it doing something to "the side of a page." Sounds like one of us misunderstood what we heard...or saw.

oh. i thought you meant having the map on the side of the page, kinda like it is now in the frames, but part of the main page. sorry about that.

i'll try out that background fixed thing though. guess i misunderstood. by the way, thanks for the "Doom Diversity" idea. Kick ass!

HEY ELBRYAN42! I HAVE STUFF FOR YOU!

i have the music from the quake2 mod "ground zero" sorry if you already replied, my cable connection's been giving me hell the past few days. GET MY ICQ TO CONTACT ME! I'll try to rip the tracks today!

I got the Quake Mission Pack #1 and #2 soundtracks, those are what game soundtracks are supposed to be.