Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terra-jin

The borders of a DOOM map

When you exit a DOOM map using idclip, and keep walking in one general direction, you eventually get really strange bleeding effects, and you hear all noises from the entire level (every active monster, crushers etc). Furthermore, you get 'transported' to opposite end of the map; so if you keep walking you can get to the other side of the level by walking away from it!

Does anybody know what this is? The bug, if it is a bug, is also present in the latest ZDOOM, as well as the original DOOM.

It's no bug. The largest a map can theoreically be is from -32768 to 32768 on both the X and Y axes. After that, the map wraps around to the other side. Of course, you would probably run into some real problems if you were to make a map 65536X65536 units in size.

Ichor said:

It's no bug. The largest a map can theoreically be is from -32768 to 32768 on both the X and Y axes. After that, the map wraps around to the other side. Of course, you would probably run into some real problems if you were to make a map 65536X65536 units in size.

The maximum size is 32767x32767. Anything larger creates internal overflows which make the map unplayable. But you'll run into problems much earlier.

I remember idclipping far away into the void in Doom 1.1. I ended up in some sort of weird-looking room (no room of course, just the renderer acting funny). It was quite huge, but it had random floor\ceiling textures. Doesn't seem to happen in 1.9 anymore though.

OH yeah. I guess I doubled everything in size. I don't have access to an editor right now, so I just tried to get it from memory.

Fredrik said:

The max size of a single room that doesn't crash the game is about 20000x20000, I've found.

hmm... that doesn't seem right.
btw, I recommend interested parties download cph's map that is made on the 32768 border.... the monsters walk away from you and you can't shoot them with the pistol through the seam. :)