Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doohnibor

WHY are you STILL playing Doom?

I play DooM cause I have always loved it. It also has a senimental value of childhood memories! There has not been another game to come out that give's me the crazy feeling of kill or be killed like doom does. (I geuss this is because doom was the first "good" first person shooter I ever played...)

I was just playing and was reminded of an important point I forgot to mention. In Doom, the marine runs FAST, not sluggish slow like in many newer games. I love racing down corridors and across open spaces mowing down everything in the way.

Draconio said:

I was just playing and was reminded of an important point I forgot to mention. In Doom, the marine runs FAST, not sluggish slow like in many newer games. I love racing down corridors and across open spaces mowing down everything in the way.

True, even in Serious Sam then player moves so slow that you can barely dodge some of the bullets, and you can't run away way from those suicide bombers which is quite annoying too.

Yeah, that too-- the blinding speed of this game is another thing I love about it. It's possible to break 100 kills in a typical DM match, whereas with newer games you can't expect that kind of score unless no one can match your skill. Even then, we're talking on an average, not just one player owning the game. I'd like to see players on a CounterStrike server compete with that kind of speed.

I'm now visualizing a theoretical "battle of the DM's", where a single DoomGuy is pitted against an entire team of terrorists(and each bound to their respective game's physics). There really is no contest, is there?

Are you kidding? There is no way a counter-terrorist squad would last long against DoomGuy and his BFG 9000. The CT's probably all got shredded :P

Yes, but as we all know, terrorists have automatic target aquisition as well x-ray vision; therefore they know the position of the enemy before he does, and can snipe his head off his shoulders within nanoseconds of an unobstructed line of sight being established. Or to use the technical term, "pwn4g3!!!!111"

Simple. like many games in its heyday, Doom required minimal thinking, the only thing you really had to think about was where the key was, how to get pass a gap, or how to kill a Cyberdemon or Spider Mastermind.

Plus (for some reason) I own a few of the console versions of Doom (the Genesis 32X, the SNES, the N64 and the GBA versions of the original Doom.) to compare diferences between them and the PC version.

Yes, I collect multiple versions of a game. you got something wrong with it?

chilvence said:

Yes, but as we all know, terrorists have automatic target aquisition as well x-ray vision; therefore they know the position of the enemy before he does, and can snipe his head off his shoulders within nanoseconds of an unobstructed line of sight being established. Or to use the technical term, "pwn4g3!!!!111"

Yes, except DoomGuy doesn't have a "head" as far as the engine is concerned. He could technically survive 2 AWP rounds and burst of CV-47 fire(which is enough time to BFG the entire squad), and still have a sliver of life left for picking off the stragglers with the plasma gun.

The doomguy can withstand multiple shotgun blasts to the face. He's also been to hell a couple of times. Any counter-terrorists do that?

Assmaster said:

The doomguy can withstand multiple shotgun blasts to the face. He's also been to hell a couple of times. Any counter-terrorists do that?

Of course he can. After all he's wearing a bullet-proof helmet, doesn't he?

Because of the simplicity and satisfaction of blasting the interesting variety of hellspawn that have been set forth. The easy use of the weapons in fast-paced combat with the next Baron of Hell. Because of the fact that I'm still amazed by the small things which, though common in today's FPS, in doom like room-over-room, deep water, and other simple Zdoom scripts. Because of the unique and colorful monsters for you to blast, each harder than the next. And because of the speed at which this game is changing. Starting from a 4 disk game where you couldn't even look around, to something that resembles modern FPS's.

CacoCaddy said:

It was my first violent game, so when I kill someone the feds will blame it on that.

Haha, the first game I played that was violent in the sense of having needless amounts of gore was Monster Bash. I got the shareware episode on one of Apogee's bonus disk deals (when you registered one of their games, they sent you an extra disk with the shareware version of one of their other games). I was probably about 10 or 11 at the time. It gave me nightmares at first and I could only play it when my parents were out because I wasn't allowed to play games that bloody back then. *Laughs* good times. Thinking of it kind of makes me want to play it again.

Thinking about it while writing this, though, I'm not sure if the first one was in fact Monster Bash or if it was Bio Menace. It was one or the other though. Monster Bash is definately the one I had these memories of. I also played Crystal Caves before either of them, but the gore in that game was not so excessive (though you could blow a certain monster's eyestalks off and a few other things).

Because it's the only best way to die violently without diving into eternal forgetful oblivion. Instead, you relive the lie and smile as each one dies.

ok listen...there is never going to be a game as good as doom is. When doom 3 comes out it's totaly gonna revolutionize the whole entire doom history..and i cant wait...so yea there isnt a game that is as frightning, bloody and what not, as doom is

It's so user-friendly and engaging. You can do almost anything with it with as much or as little experience as you want.

It's atmosphere is great, it's playability is second-to-none, and it's FUN.

To be honest, I just can't see DOOM 3 having near the same gameplay as the original DOOM. It is going to be a LOT slower paced. I hope it has that DOOM feel to it still.

Im pretty sure it will feel nothing like the old doom. But that doesnt mean it'll be bad.

Hmm, why do I still play Doom? Someone mentioned bringing back childhood memories. I remember being around seven and I had bought my first Sega 32X with some birthday money I had gotten. My father was the one who bought the game originally and I remember watching him. Eventually, I got up the nerve to play the game myself and I quickly got the hang of the game. :D There's something about that old music on the 32X version that makes me smile. I think it only comes out if you beat the "hidden" level after Spawning Vats. (I believe that's the level.) It starts out all childish and then slowly turns very cruel and evil.

Anyhow, the years have passed and the 32X is gone, but I still have my PSX and PC version of Doom. There's nothing like turning either of them on and remembering the first day I decided to kick some tail.

Not to mention, its pretty amusing seeing some of my less Doom-friendly male friends take on the game. :p They don't do very well and end up getting fustrated with the game. Maybe its because I suggest they play it at Nightmare before any other setting. *giggle*

Kristian Ronge said:

Exactly. People expecting a game similar in gameplay/overall feel/etc. to Doom/Doom 2 will probably be sorely disappointed.

I think I'd have been dissapointed if Doom 3 had ended up copying the speed of the classics - and everything else for that matter. It wouldn't have been a worthy successor that way.

Ever since I first tried Quake 1, I was like "a new Doom game just HAS to have a slower pace!".

I play Doom because...err, I dunno. Actualy, I haven't played it in 2 months.

from an editing perspective, the sourceport of doom has opened up the floodgates of possibilities to utilize. I still play doom becasue i can edit doom in ways that we as a community never could before, and in most cases have access to technology that lies in more advanced games. The very concept of scripting alone in doom has made things like doomrader or void possible, and one has to admit that jdoom makes doom look un mother fucking beleaveable. In short, i play doom because i can bend the technology in new ways, like the old dog that can still pulls off an impressive new trick.