Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fly_895

Trouble installing Hexen95 in WinXP

After talking about Hexen in a diffrent tread the other day, I felt like installing it for some good old fun. My copy of Hexen, however, isn't the DOS based game. Instead, it's the Win95 port.

I understand that Doom95 based games do not run well under WindowsXP, but that is not the problem. Rather, my problem is with the installer itself.

After I inster the CD and begin installing the game, I get an error saying this game cannot be installed on WinNT machines. Is there some option I can enable in windows so I can install it and extract the WAD file? Then again, it might just be better to install it on my WinME machine and burn the WAD to a CD. Whatever, I'd just like some work around.

Any help?

Imo the workaround is get a source port. You'll not have to worry about installing jack, as there's really no need to have an installer in the first place.

That's what I intended to do.

Problem is, I can't even get the WAD off the CD to copy it to a source port folder. I just want some help on extracting the WAD.

I think if you poke around the CD you'll see the WAD which you can just copy to the needed folder. In all the other Doom engine CDs I have, the WAD is not compressed.

To explore a CD without triggering the autorun, go to My Computer, right click on the CD drive icon and select open from the menu. If it's not in the main folder, bring up a search with F3, choose all files and folders, type in hexen.wad and choose your CD drive from the look in menu if it's not already.

Fly_895 said:

After talking about Hexen in a diffrent tread the other day, I felt like installing it for some good old fun.

If it's the same setup as the Doom95 cd's, then you need to look on the cd for a folder called 'hexen', you should find the dos version there. Copy all the files in and then install one of the following ports:
ZDoom (straight Hexen support)
JHexen/Doomsday (Hexen with OpenGL/Direct3D graphics)
Korax Mod (Hexen with OpenGL/Direct3D graphics and an RPG system for a new experience of the game)

Fly_895 said:
I understand that Doom95 based games do not run well under WindowsXP,

They run fine... except for the mouse, that is; which is naturally a big problem for keyboard and mouse players.