Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trilinear

Doom books re-issued

While searching for "Masters of Doom", I noticed 2 of the old Doom books have been re-issued with new covers. The covers feature new (inferior) artwork, and the Doom 3-style logo. Not sure of any other differences, and haven't yet been able to find any re-issues of books 2 and 4 yet. Also haven't found any info RE: the new publisher or date of publishing (Amazon still has the old info on there).

Knee-Deep In The Dead:
http://www.lesmiskin.co.nz/doom/graphics/newbook1.jpg

Infernal Sky:
http://www.lesmiskin.co.nz/doom/graphics/newbook3.jpg

For those of you yet to read the books, they slowly go downhill after the first one (really the only one worth buying, if you're not a collector).

[EDIT:] Updated links - some people were having problems seeing the covers.

I got Masters of DOOM from amazon quite recently.

I've only read the 1st novel... and that was "enough." Evidently they considered this a opportune moment to reissue them since the movie is coming in the not distant future. The odd thing is that they offer the first one, and then not the second but another.

HEY FUCK you.....those books rock.. you can't expect them to shell out fucking books that consist of *bang* walk *bang* walk. it's a good game concept but the books need volume.....so what they changed some of the story...who gives a FUCK...they are still amazing books, which are well written, and the first one is so true to the fucking storyline some of the settings are based on doom levels. I think they are worthy of the doom name....NOW the doom movie is another story >:C

The biggest problem is not the storyline changes, but the fact they most certainly are *not* well written. All I can say is you must be used to reading some truly abyssmal books to think that.

Dafydd ab Hugh has written several Star Trek books as well, and those are just as bad.

h/o
i am willing to admit the writer is VERY undescriptive....^_^;; but he kept me on my seat alright....i was up all night reading knee deep in the dead....and the other's....i am currently reading the third.. and it keeps me on my seat..i seriously hope that they would just destroy the doom movie and sculpt it around the novels

wallis: You need to calm down and be a bit more polite if you want to continue to use these forums.

I own all 4 of the books myself and I enjoy them very much, I have read them all many times. As everyone says, the first book is most closely related to the games and, in my opinion, the best of the series. I also think they are well written for the most part. However, I have noticed many spelling and grammatical errors along with displacements. Anyone notice how in the 4th book when they are on ship heading toward the Fred homeworld, they all of a sudden have human weapons again plus military uniforms? They even have their ear pieces where they can "click-click" back and forth to each other when they touched down on the Fred homeworld. The teleporter they went through in book 3 (the one that screwed up Hidalgo and Taggart had to kill him) was based on Gate technology and when they came through, they were naked and weaponless but in the 4th book, they all of a sudden have clothes plus weapons they could never have had in the first place. Any human weapons were left behind on their initial trip through the gate on Phobos. Even so, I enjoyed the books, especially the humor.

o yea....i have noticed a LOT of spelling mistakes.....and other ones among that...but i guess everyone's human. But most importantly the guy who wrote it was a serious doom fan from the looks of things......and i doubt in any manner or form that he was not on drugs while writing the third and fourth.

wallis said:

o yea....i have noticed a LOT of spelling mistakes.....and other ones among that...But most importantly the guy who wrote it was a serious doom fan from the looks of things......and i doubt in any manner or form that he was not on drugs while writing the third and fourth.

Well, first off, you may want to fix YOUR spelling and grammar, and secondly, if he's such a big Doom fan, then why is so much stuff in the book wrong?

Hell-Princes my Ass.

Well, actually, in the third book, the "official" name for the Doom monsters (by the government and scientists, etc.) are actually the names given to them in the games. Also, you'd be surprised how almost accurate the levels in the first novel are to the game.

Doom Books?
Well, I guess the story line is important to some people. I still think its funny how some people will defend the original story tooth and nail.

I just like the whole shooting at demons thing myself, thats story enough :p

wallis said:

HEY FUCK you.....those books rock..

Don't read much do ya?

wallis said:

o yea....i have noticed a LOT of spelling mistakes.....and other ones among that...but i guess everyone's human. But most importantly the guy who wrote it was a serious doom fan from the looks of things......and i doubt in any manner or form that he was not on drugs while writing the third and fourth.

give me back my fucking name you inverse prick

The spelling and grammar mistakes in the final cut aren't the author's fault. That's what editors are for.

The books took the Doom plot in an interesting direction, though I'm done the entire series (read the first three and started in on the last). It's really interesting to see what the authors wanted to do with the storylines, and some of it is quite jarring.

Megalyth said:

The spelling and grammar mistakes in the final cut aren't the author's fault. That's what editors are for.

Well it's the author's fault for them getting there in the first place really :P

Also, wtf happened to you? I haven't seen you around for ages.

mallis said:

give me back my fucking name you inverse prick

WALLIS IS MY SURNAME

mkfanatic said:

Um, Infernal Sky doesn't have a new cover in that link.

If you click "larger picture", it does ;)

Darkman 4 said:

Still looks the same to me.

CTRL+F5?

[EDIT] See updated links in my initial post.

Darkman 4 said:

Oh boy a zoom up on the ugly looking demon's face from the original cover that somehow look worse than the original demon did.

Agreed. The demon is meant to be a Mancubus, though the artist who did the illustration has a real weird way of portraying it (the real Mancubus was never meant to be a demon).

Darkman 4 said:

And why haven't all of the book been reprinted? They're not all that good, but It'd be nice to have the whole series.

I'd say they're going to be, the retailers probably don't have the pics for those yet (maybe the cover's aren't yet complete?). We'll probably see them spring up within a few week's time.

And notice that the Mancubus was portrayed in a space environment (the marine is in a suit). How could it survive in a vaccum without protection? Sure it's a demon (although the original was never supposed to be one), but as you can see it has a nose and mouth, so it obviously should at least rely on oxygen to live. Perhaps the reason it looks so bloated on the cover is because it's "blowing up" due to lack of protection against the vaccum.

The irony of it all is that there isn't even a single Mancubus in that entire book except for pieces of a dead one on the Hawaii base.