Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nanite10

Old Computer Games!

Dammit, I left out The Terminator: 2029 and King's Quest VI, the first games I ever owned! The former, T:2029 just rocked...but it won't install on a pentium :( Pisses me right off. there was a re-release once on CD that would though, I wanna get it so bad. And I still play Syndicate and Syndicate American Revolt when I feel like it. Although, because of that 640k bullshit, I have to install it to my hard drive and do some finagling with commands and shit...meh :P

It's funny how other nations can get nukes and armored vehicles in 1850 and we have to wait another 200 years for those, heh.

I thought we got those about 50 years ago, not 50 years FROM now :P

KiloBlaster

Overkill

Command & Conquer (Do the viceroids that sometimes appear in multiplayer remind anyone else of cacodemons?)

Warcraft 2

Bleh, I never had a 486 but I knew people who did. I started out with a P120. I have a bunch of weird games on floppy disks - God of Thunder, Ninja Rabbit, Robomaze 2, Mario Bros. (not Super), Lotus 3, a crappy version of Street Fighter 2, a crappy version of SF(1), Stick Fighter 2. I can't remember if I ever got this weird Korean shareware version of SF2 from someone.

From the documentation of Stick Fighter 2:
"If you have a fast computer ( > 16 MHZ ) you may wish to use the Command line option to reduce game speed for faster computers:

sfii [speed] where [speed] is optional and should range from about 1 to 30.

The higher the number, the slower. You shouldn't have to go above 20 unless you have an incredibly fast computer, and should not need this option for computers running at 16MHz or less."

I had to enter 100 or 200 to slow the game down enough to be playable on my P120. I'm afraid to try it on my 700mhz Athlon.

Hmmm, I am not sure if these games were not recommented before, but please do not forget:

ZPC (better choose one of the faster 486 to play it in all its glory)

all the Marathon games

Rise of the Triad

Terminal Terror
and
Leathal Tender

Captain Blood

Return to Zork

the Zork text adventures (which should be compatible with even the oldest PC)

Gabriel Knight "Sins of the Fathers"

...and if you want to see a really worse FPS, look at "Operation Bodycount" (brrr).

Umm...
Solar Winds 1
Liesure Suit Larry(forgot which ones are old)
Alley Cats(something like that, it's bowling with highly pixelated strippers)
Serious Sam(I remember there was a game called that and it's alot like Crystal Caves)
Halloween Harry
Tyrian
Star Control II (Woo, I found the home planet of the droid thingies that attack you for no reason)
System Shock
Blake Stone
Hugo's Haunted house(won them all)
Lord of the Rings(not the new one)
Ultima(don't know which ones are to old for this thread)
Duke Nukem 1 and 2
Doom series
Heretic
Hexen (2[I think that's also old])
Command&Conqueer
Wolf3d(spear of destiny)
Streetrod2
Adom
Daggerfall
Legacy of Kain
Normality(so damn easy)
Lemmings(Lemmings 3d fuckin ruined it! Some games are just not meant to be 3d.)
monkey island
Goblins
Eye Of the Beholder series
Magic Carpet
Descent
Warlords
Super Memory
Oregon Trail
Organ Trail(I'm sure no one's heard of that)
Math Blaster
Zar(or something like that)
elevator action
pac-man
Pong
Blackthorne
Prince of Persia
Lion King
MegamanX
DROD
Menzoberanzon(I don't think I spelt it right)
Overkill
Galaga
Galaxia
Ravenloft 1 and 2
Lord of Destruction
Lord of Thunder(or something like that, it has Thor[the guy with the hammer])
Warcraft(2)
Alone in the Dark
Tetris
Might and Magic(2 and 3)
Cosmo
Crystal Caves
Donkey Kong
Phantasmagori-(I forget how to spell it)
Quake
Radix
Shadow Caster
Privateer
centepede
Nitemare3d
Tower of ____(I forget)
Commander Keen series
Raiden
Mortal Kombat1-3(I used to like them)
Aces over Europe
Worms
Civilization
Albion
Stargunner
Interpose
Total Mayhem
virtual fighter pc
Master of Orion

and much more if emulators/roms count since we are talking about pc games, or just old games I dunno.(I know a few that have been around for a very long time, so have the roms)

Umm...
Phantasmagori-(I forget how to spell it)

Phantasmagoria (cool sex scenes inside) - that game was rated in Germany as suitable for players over 18 years only :)

Here's one I'm sure nobody's heard of: BC's Quest for Tires. i found it while thumbing through some old 5 1/2 floppies after computer class one day. It's a platformer/reaction game for the old Apple ][e, based on the BC comic strip. Damn, that game was fun. Got me in deep shit with the teachers, too. ("I swear, those dirty words were on the high-score list when I found 'em!")

Others:
~ (Oh No! More) Lemmings
~ Battle Chess (classic)
~ Tetris (the original, back when the Soviets got all the money from it)
~ Ancient Empires (one of exactly three good edutainment titles to ever have existed)

Such threads are so stupid.

I'd recommend Prince of Persia series, and The Lost Vikings, and Golden Axe, because these were the games I were playing on the 486 laptop I temporarily had.

sopwith damnit!

Christ, if you keep that up for another few months I might actually try it.

I know one game that no one's mentioned but I really like it even though you may not. Dragon Lore 1. Oh my god, that game ruled! It was a Myst-like game with little fighting scenes. You could pick truth or violence, and you could get about 100 different types of swords. The armor and shield selection sucked though. So did the battles. Thankfully that was fixed in number 2. But number 2 sucked. It had superb graphics and sound, but nothing else. My Athlon 1.0 GHZ computer with WIN ME won't run those games though. It really stinks! I thought Dragon Lore 1 was a great game. It was made by the same people who made Mega-Race. Awesome game. Hey, is the megarace you're talking about the one with the dumb fuck Lance Boyle or whatever his name was? If so, that game ruled! Mega-Race 1 and Dragon Lore 1. Those two games ruled! As did Commander Blood. Too bad Dragon Lore 2 and Mega-Race 2 sucked though. But Mega-Race 2 was better then Dragon Lore 2 I'll say that.

486? pfft! I have a 366 and I can run Unreal Tournament. Anyways, good old school games:

Civilization
Halloween Harry - Best platformer ever!
Solar Winds
Jill of the Jungle
Commander Keen 4
Street Rod 2
Kiloblaster
Raptor: Call of the Shadows
Galactix - First game I ever beat without cheats...
Descent
Descent II
Terminal Velocity

And all those Sierra-style strategy games:
Space Quest
Space Quest 2
Space Quest 3
Space Quest 4
Freddy Pharcus: Frontier Pharmacist
Return of the Phantom - Actually by Microprose
The Adventures of Willy Beamish

And some fun games for kids:
Turbo Science
The Incredible Machine - Actually fun for all!

Ha yeah, Space Quest. The Funniest Sierra games. Pity they cancelled SQ7.....not popular enough? then why were there so many petitions to bring it back? But aw well that's history, TIM (Incredible Machine) Wow, that game rules, still does, other games worth mentioning = Scorched Earth, Alley Cat (You play as an Alley Cat) (CGA glory ;)) and Rock Ford (Boulder Dash 3)(sorta) all those cool games.....

Kat: Crystal Caves was iD? Are you sure? I lost my shareware copy of that, so I can't check. it was cool too!

Now, onto another game, this works on a 486, It may not be old........(1996-7ish, but not as old as some others mentioned...) but Why isn't GTA mentioned? Grand Theft Auto now that was a cool game, completely non-linear and free for all chaos. It's a good thing The third Incarnation has finally gone full 3D.

::holy noises:: Silpheed. I KNOW some of you here played that. THAT game kicked ass.

WOW! Didn't expect to see that one here! It was my first computer game and came with my first computer on 1990 (286 with VGA display and a meg of memory, heh), played it a LOT in the beginning!

::holy noises:: Silpheed. I KNOW some of you here played that. THAT game kicked ass.

WOW! Didn't expect to see that one here! It was my first computer game and came with my first computer on 1990 (286 with VGA display and a meg of memory, heh), played it a LOT in the beginning!

1990 huh? I guess the SegaCD version I have must be some sort of revision :P

I don't know what year GTA was released, because they only made it legal in Canada in 1998 (apparently Postal did NOT go over very well with the CRTC), but Syndicate is way better, and it's virtually the same thing, only not as free-form, and Syndicate takes longer to beat (took me 12 hours in total I think. I was trying to develop everything). And if you're talking about later 486 games, why not talk about Nam? That game rocked, especially when you put godmode on. Yeah yeah, cheater, big whoop, but just try it with that game, okay? And someone was talking about MW2, it came out in 1995, I had a friend who was running it on his 486 dx/66, that was the first sim I ever played. Man was it AWESOME, but MW2: Mercs was better...I think it'll run on 486/100, but I haven't taken a peek at the specs in a long time. An yeah, the old infocom Battletech games Crescent Hawl's inception and Crescent Hawk's revenge were pretty cool, although I found the latter to be a royal pain in the ass. But they were both certainly an exit from the everyday RPG. And MW 1 was also awesome...although I'd have to download a slow-down program to play it...and I REALLY don't want to do that.