Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

A treat! Scans of magazine review of Doom 2 from 1994!

The spider mastermind is called an stahlspinne in german it sounds cool :)
I didn't understand an word of it too, ah well the screens where nice to look at.

CVG was actually one of the better ones. There were some genuinely shite gaming magazines around in those days.

Also bear in mind we've had 11 years with Doom2 now. They would probably have had a week or 2 weeks max to write that review. There was only an editorial team of about 5 and they played everything across all the various platforms that were around then.

I'll scan the Jaguar and 32x bits soon.

Regen said:

I found something interesting, but it's in german: http://www.speicherabzugerzeuger.de/doom/doom_test.jpg
if babblefish could only translate text from images we would be all set. i dont understand a word of it (maybe someone here will) but it was given an 87% none the less.

I can understand a bit of that from my schoolboy German. I think the best bits though are the proper .exe screenshots. That really takes me back.

Compared to zdoom I think the 'stahlspinne' looks genuinely frightening there :)

I´m not going to translate the whole thing, but I can post the few discrepancies of the German review:

-They say Doom is set on Earth´s moon (and other dimensions)

-The weapons include two "Lasers" of different strength (they probably mean the plasmagun and the BFG)

-They call the demons:
Stahlspinne (steel spider = Spider Mastermind)
Fliegende Schädel (flying skulls)
Minotauren (minotaurs)
Beholder (in reference to that old RPG I guess)
Kopffüßler (cephalopods = Arachnotrons)

-There are not only stairs, but also ramps...

Apart from that the review is pretty accurate.