Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Guns are like tools

You use the right instrument for the job and all goes smoothly. How do you choose your weapons.

Super shotgun- i use most the time for small numbers of baddies. An all around effective weapon. sucks for sniping though.

shotgun- will never be replaced by the SSG because it is superior for long-range and sniping, I use it all the time as well.

rocket launcher- this weapon is fun to use on large numbers of lesser monsters, it just never gets old watching them explode into gory piles of giblets.

how about the others?

Fists: I use it for lone demons, but if I've got Beserk, I'll take on tougher monsters.

Chainsaw: Cacodemons and demons.

Pistol: Never unless I'm trying to lure some poor sucker into my BFG
blast field in DeathMatch. Fun!

Pump Shotgun: I use it most of the time for long range attacks on weaker enemies.

Double Shotgun: I use it all the time for close combat, it does MORE than twice the damage of the regular shotgun.

Chaingun: Extremely long range sniping where the shotgun just isn't accurate enough.

Launcher: Tougher monsters like Barons, and very hand in DeathMatch.

Plasma: I use it when I'm low on rockets or at close range when there's lots of enemies and not much time to kill them.

BFG9000: Far more useful in Solo than in Coop or Deathmatch, I use it on groups of Barons or the bosses.

SSG for me, I use nothing else.

In Skulltag I'm quite partial to the grenade launcher though.

Honestly it some of these wads its possible to get by using nothing but the ssg and it drives me NUTS. That weapon has been so overused I can't stand the damn thing...too bad weapon mods never have the same feel and balance the game like the originals.

I usually don't play with Doom's default set, so I'll make generalized comments here.

I usually only use melee weapons when I'm facing against groups of Imps or Demons. Berserked melee weapons are good for me up to Cacodemons - once it gets into Arachnotron or Mancubus territory, I go back to my guns.

The small-caliber weapons (like the pistol) are good for picking off smaller monsters while saving ammo, so I usually pull these out when ammo is in a crunch.

Rapid-fire weapons like SMG's are good for "riot control" (large masses of small monsters) but I never use them for much else unless it's single big monsters (like Hell Knights or Revenants).

The shotguns are good for stuff like Knights and Revenants, but I usually hold off on them because I prefer a constant stream of bullets rather than having to aim in close quarters to get an effective shot (and risking getting myself blown up by a Vile).

Rocket Launchers and explosives are great for everything else up to Cyberdemons and Spiders, then out comes the super-weapon (I don't much enjoy the plasma rifle, unless I have nothing else to use).

For the mod-only weapons, grenade launchers are terrific for when I'm low on health so I can shoot around corners before walking into a room.

Flamethrowers are good for close-range battles in open areas, but since they typically have splash damage (at least the ones I make do) I usually keep them away from the tight spaces (like Map06's starting room).

Then there's the ripper weapons, like Grnade_X's Vortex Rifle and ww-bni's Dual Neutron Disruptor - those are great for lines of weaker monsters. They seem to lose their edge when dealing with big monsters, though.

SSG for all around general defense.

Rocket launcher for when things get a little out of hand.

BFG for boss's so it doesnt take half an hour (what it seems like) to bring them down.

The rest of the weapons (pistol, plasma ect.) are just filler (or back up i guess)
though plasma works good againsted lost soul spitting pain elemental's..

Ok the plasma is underrated IMO, its probably the best thing to use for hordes of mini-bosses. My friend and I cleared out a HUGE line of mancubi with the plasma and it only took a few seconds.

Fredrik said:

The main reason why I don't use the plasma rifle much is that it feels like wasting potential BFG ammo.

The main reason why I don't use the BFG much is that it feels like wasting potential plasma gun ammo. ;)

Beh, cell for cell, the BFG is more effecient in proportion to the damage output.

40 cells
BFG - one shot producing 100 points of damage
plasma rifle - 40 shots producing 80 points of damage

I think the chaingun is underrated. If your hold it on most larger enemies, there is no need to strafe, as it stuns them. I like to use it especially on mancubi, arachnotrons, hell knights, revenants, pain elementals, and cacos. keeping a revenant from shooting his missiles at you close-range, or a Pe from spewing souls is a very nice aspect of this gun.

also if I have berserk I'll use it to kill mancubus, hell knights, cacodemons, but not revenants, their bony knuckles seem to win out over mine most times, ouch!

I agree the chaingun is great. I use it alot on bigger monsters that have rapid fire. Though its not as good against hordes IMO. Unless they are smaller monsters of course. That and I just don't like the BFG, it just isn't as fun.

against hordes you use the plasma rifle cause its ROF is higher, but it wastes more, so its good to use it only when necessary.

Yeah definitely a good point. I have a soft spot for the plasma rifle. I think the big issue with the BFG is that you HAVE to use so much ammo with each shot no matter what you are facing....

Job said:

Beh, cell for cell, the BFG is more effecient in proportion to the damage output.

40 cells

Don't forget the shockwave that plops on even more damage!

rather than matching weapons to monsters, i'm going to do the opposite.

Zombiemen -
Close: Pistol or shotgun
Groups: Shotgun or rockets
Ranged: Shotgun

Sergeants -
Close: Pistol or shotgun
Groups: SSG or rockets
Ranged: Chaingun or shotgun

Commandos -
Close: Shotgun or SSG
Groups: SSG or Rockets
Ranged: Chaingun or Rockets

Imps -
Close: Shotgun
Groups: SSG, Chaingun, Rockets, or Plasma
Ranged: Rockets

Demons/Spectres -
Close: SSG or Shotgun
Groups: SSG or chaingun
Ranged: Plasma, Rockets, Chaingun

Cacodemons -
Close: SSG, Chaingun, or Plasma
Groups: Rockets or Plasma
Ranged: Rockets or Plasma

Hell Knights -
Close: SSG
Groups: SSG or Plasma

Barons -
Close: SSG or BFG
Groups: Rockets or BFG

Mancubus -
Close: Plasma or SSG
Groups: BFG or Plasma
Ranged: Plasma

Revenants -
Close: SSG
Groups: SSG
Ranged: close the distance if possible and use SSG

Arachnotrons -
Close: Chaingun or SSG
Groups: Shotgun (I try to pick a few off before getting close)

Arch-Vile -
Close: Plasma
Groups: BFG
Ranged: Plasma or Rockets

Lost Souls -
Close: Chaingun
Groups: Chaingun
Ranged: Chaingun

Pain Elemental -
Close: Chaingun or Plasma
Groups: Rockets (If there are few lost souls) or Plasma

CyberDemon -
Close: BFG (If I Can) or SSG
Groups: I back the hell off and find cover a good distance away
Ranged: Plasma, BFG, Rockets

Spider Mastermind -
Close: BFG
Groups: Um....
Ranged: BFG or Plasma

Job said:

40 cells

The plasma rifle does 200 damage minimum while the BFG does 100 damage minimum.

Fist = Solely for taking out very small groups of zombies/sarges when I lack any other ordinance.

Pistol = On zombies, sarges, and lone imps.

Shotgun = For imps, and possibly demons if I lack the SSG.

SSG = Demons (unless they're in huge hordes), Barons of Hell and other mid-size enemies/bosses. Also for stick-and-move tactics versus Lost Souls.

Chaingun = Hordes of Imps/zombies/other small foes and smallish hordes of demons. Also good for shooing away Lost Souls.

Rocket launcher = Mid-size enemies and medium/long-range thinning of pinky hordes.

Plasma = I use this for taking out large groups of pinkies and anything larger. I also like to use this for dealing with those bothersome Lost Souls.

BFG = I use this for assassinating Archies and other med/large, fairly tough foes with one shot.

Chainsaw = Pinkies and for chewing through imp/zombie squads in melee.

Berserk = Stick-and-move tactics against Imps, prettymuch just barrel through against everything else.

The plasma rifle does 5-40 damage and fires at a rate of 3 tics per shot. The plasma rifle uses 20 cells in 60 tics where the BFG uses 40, making it more economic than the BFG.

The BFG does 100-800 damage plus at most 40 traces of 49-87 damage and fires at a rate of 60 tics per second. The BFG does 5-40 damage plus at most 2 traces of 49-87 damage per 3 tics, making it more powerful than the plasma rifle.

Fists- I only use it to take out an lonely demon or imp, if I have beserk im taking out the more tougher ones too.

Chainsaw- I use this one for demons and cacodemons.

Pistol- I only use it too take out some zombies, so I can grab their chaingun or shotgun. Other than that im not using it alot.

Shotgun- good all round weapon good for sniping I use it for the zombies and imps most of the time.

Super shotgun-powerfull good for wasting demons one shot one kill up close, use it alot for the revenants and knights.

Chaingun- also good for taking out revenants up close gets used mainly for taking out zombies and imps.

Rocket launcher- the weapon for dealing with the stronger monsters, its good for using it against all types of monsters.

Plasma rifle- good weapon to take on baby spiders and the mancubus.

Bfg9000- im using this to clear an large room full with tougher monsters, or to take on an cyber or spiderboss.

My favourite is the shotgun, it feels good to kill hellspawn with that one.

I choose weapon according to every situation, so it is not easy to deal with this topic in general: I am a very tactical player...! ;) So I am posting a list of monsters with the weapons I often use with them (like Submerge) and a list of weapons, depending on situations.

Zombiemen -
Close: Pistol or Shotgun
Groups: Super Shotgun (few), Chaingun (so so), Plasma Gun/BFG (lots) or infighting (if possible)

Sergeants -
Close: Pistol or Shotgun
Groups: Super Shotgun (few), Chaingun (so so), Plasma Gun/BFG (lots) or infighting (if possible)

Commandos -
Close: Shotgun or SSG
Groups: Super Shotgun (not many), Chaingun (many) or infighting (if possible)
Ranged: Shotgun, Chaingun (not too far) or Rocket Launcher (far)

Imps -
Close: Shotgun

Demons/Spectres -
Close: Super Shotgun
Groups: Super Shotgun (not many) or Plasma Gun (many)

Cacodemons -
Close: Chaingun (the best arm with Cacos!)
Groups: Chaingun (not many), Rocket Launcher (many) or Plasma Gun/BFG (too many)
Ranged: Shotgun (not too far), Rocket Launcher and Plasma Gun (far)

Hell Knights -
Groups: Rocket Launcher (not many) or Plasma Gun (many)
Ranged: Shotgun or Rocket Launcher

Barons -
Groups: Rocket Launcher (not many), Plasma Gun (many), BFG (too many)
Ranged: Rocket Launcher

Mancubus -
Close: Super Shotgun or Rocket Launcher (if the distance is ok)

Revenants -
Groups: Rocket Launcher (little crowded groups) or Plasma Gun/BFG (big groups of scattere Revs)
Ranged: Shotgun (not too far, but not too near), Rocket Launcher or Plasma Gun (far)

Arachnotrons -

Arch-Vile -
Close: Super Shotgun (because he usually stops the attack, when hurt!) or Plasma Gun
Groups: BFG (I must kill them immediately!)

Lost Souls -
Groups: Super Shotgun or Rocket Launcher (if they are not too close!)

Pain Elemental -
Close: Super Shotgun or Chaingun
Groups: Rocket Launcher (groups of Pain Elemental?!)

CyberDemon -
Close: Plasma Gun or BFG
Groups: BFG... or what else!?
Ranged: Plasma Gun, BFG, Rockets

Spider Mastermind -
Close: Plasma Gun or BFG
Groups: BFG... or infighting! :)
Ranged: BFG or Plasma Gun

Fist - To save ammo: usually with troopers (Zombies, Imps, Sergeants and Commandos)

Chainsaw - To save ammo: usually with Demons and Spectres, rarely with Cacos

Pistol - To save ammo: usually with troopers

Shotgun - To scout or snip

SuperShogtun - To fight in narrow areas: usually with Lost Souls, Pain Elementals, Demons, Spectres, Revenants, Knights and Barons of Hell, Mancubi and Arachonotrons or with little groups of troopers

Chaingun - To scout (especially in potentially dangerous areas) or fight with Cacos or with groups of enemies

Rocket Launcher - To fight with strong monsters (Knights and Barons of Hell, Mancubi, Arachnotrons) or to snip

Plasma Gun - To fight with the strongest monsters or with groups of enemies

BFG9000 - To fight with the strongest monsters or with large group of enemies

WildWeasel said:

They seem to lose their edge when dealing with big monsters, though.

I disagree, if anything, they tend to do more damage to bigger monsters because of their larger radii. Ripping damage does damage per second I think, not per obstacle hit. Which means that if you hit a monster with it that's running away, it's going to do more damage.

A strange thing about the rocketlauncher I noticed while watching some demos: it can be used similar to a grenade launcher; if there are monsters below you and a wall nearby, just fire at the wall, they will take damage no matter the height( I always thought it was a bit cheap because you avoid a fight).

TheDarkArchon said:

Depends on the port. Zdoom does it that way but EDGE does damage once per impact.

EDGE doesn't count. Case closed.